Asus eeePC 1005HA

All,

First of all I am not sure if we have a separate discussion community for netbooks and tablet PCs so posting it here. About 11 months back, I bought the Asus eeePC 10.1 inch 1005HA-black netbook. I was overall satisfied with the netbook except for its power related issues.

Finally it broke down in the same area - first I thought its charger went bad so I bought another charger. It worked fine for a few days but then I realized that the netbook is not accepting power with/without battery. On a random day, it'll work fine and the battery will charge to 100% and let me use it. When I shut down and start again, it will go back to flickering LEDs and shutting down. Thinking then it was a battery issue, I got a good quality (per user ratings) higher capacity battery and it worked fine for a few days before the machine reverted to its old tricks.

I decided to send it back to Asus since warranty was running out. As we speak, the netbook is on its way back to me (repaired). I will get it tomorrow and will put it to some rigorous testing through the rest of the week and the weekend. I will use multiple charges, discharges with old and new battery with the charger that I have.

My question after a lot of explanation above is - has anyone else experienced this kind of problem with Asus netbooks and Asus netbooks only? Asus service center really won't tell you what was wrong. I fear that now that the warranty has run out - if this happens again, I will have to get into an argument with them that they didn't fix it properly when it was under warranty repairs. What is happening to these netbooks? I have yet to hear power related issues in other brands of netbooks, why Asus?

Any comments are welcome. I know it is not a specific question but a one out of curiosity.

Thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about asus eeepc 1005ha
  1. Have a look here:

http://liliputing.com/2009/06/asus-eee-pc-1005ha-review.html

It seems as if it is a common issue with the PSU. I'm sure that Asus is aware of it, so hopefully they know how to fix it and you will not have anymore issues with it.
  2. after a product is fixed you have 3 months repair warranty for that problem from asus
  3. Read this study...

http://www.squaretrade.com/pages/laptop-reliability-1109/

Netbooks are timebombs...

Highlights of the study include:
    -
    Looking at the first 3 years of ownership, 31% of laptop owners reported a failure to SquareTrade. Two-thirds of this failure (20.4%) came from hardware malfunctions, and one-third (10.6%) was reported as accidental damage.
    -
    Netbooks are projected to have a 20% higher failure rate from hardware malfunctions than more expensive laptop computers.
    -
    ASUS and Toshiba were the most reliable manufacturers, with fewer than 16% having a hardware malfunction over 3 years.
  4. I got the Asus eeePC netbook back just now and apparently they only sent me a new power adapter. Perhaps they think the problem wasn't inside the netbook. I tried with the new power adapter and everything works fine so far.

I then pulled out my after-market adapter I had been using to test it before RMA, and problem returned! So it was a false alarm, or maybe not. We'll see.
Ask a new question

Read More

Asus Eee Pc Netbooks Laptops