Tbird or o'clocked Duron?

G

I have decided go for a SocketA mainboard (Abit KT7) and CPU when I upgrade my computer.

I thought I'd buy a Thunderbird 850 and run it at its set clock speed. On the other hand, for half the price I could go for a Duron 700 and overclock it to 850Mhz. The money saved would allow me to get that GeForce 2 video card a lot sooner.

I imagine the Thunderbird would still out-perform the overclocked Duron but by what margin? How noticable would that margin be? Would it be worth paying twice as much for the CPU?

G

I have a KT7 and Athlon 750@950. after having the machine, I was a little disapointed to only getting a 200mhz OC. I was hoping to get atleast 1ghz, of course that depend on your luck.

and also, I should have gotten a DURON instead of the Athlon, It's just much more cheaper. and have the ability to OC very well, since it's default CoreV at 1.6 and 1.65 compare to 1.75 for the TB. that mean you have almost .2V to play around for the DURON and .1v for the TB. in-turn will give you and even more OC speed, mostlikely over 200mhz and above.

so My suggestion is going for the Duron and get your kick ass GeForce 2 sooner. look around for some 600-650mhz Duron, I heard the newer batch of 600 and 650 Duron OC very well. expect somehting around 850-1Ghz for the 600 or 650 Duron. The performance difference on the DUron and Athlon is minimal. since they both are the same architeture and have the same L1 size. The only difference between the TB and Duron, is the L2. IF i had a chance to choose my CPU again, I would have gone with the DURON.

note: I don't have any problem with my TB. they are excellent CPU made by an excellent Manufacture. (AMD all the Way, Screw Intel<--whose been overcharging) I recomended the Duron because, I would have save $50 or so with ALMOST the same performance result.

G

Go for the Duron, they aren't quite as fast as the Athlon at the same clock speed when it comes to gaming but they do seem to be better overclockers and the price is right.

This article may be of interest to you:-

http://www.athlonoc.com/occompare.htm

My 600 Duron overclocks to 950MHz at default voltage or will go to 1000MHz at 1.70 volts on the Abit KT7 raid. It leaves my Celeron 566 @ 850 for dead and only cost half as much to buy!

Aussie

G

duron + OC = geforce

Take Care.
If money was no object, how could you spend it!

G

DAMN you got a DURON 600 to 950 at default Voltage. What did it hit when you push 1.85v???????

TRENDING THREADS