VoIP behind MN-100 (or any MS router for that metter)

I've been running a MN-100 trouble free for about 18 months. I'm
currently considering trying out a VoIP phone service (such as Vonage).
I know Vonage says you can run the connection either with their
TA in front of the router or behind the router (like another endpoint).
I curious about the "behind the router" type config. Anyone try it?

Many folks are having good success (but most have the new Linksys
routers and using either stock FW or custom FW that have QoS-type
functionality). I know of no MS router that supports QoS functionality,
but still, I like my MN-100. I haven't had to touch the thing in many
months. It's running like a champ (which is more that I can say for
many of the other routers on the market).

Thanks!

Shawn

joker

It doesn't support QoS to my knowledge. To get the Vonage running
behind the router you will need to enable persistent port forwarding though.

skennedy wrote:
> I've been running a MN-100 trouble free for about 18 months. I'm
> currently considering trying out a VoIP phone service (such as Vonage).
> I know Vonage says you can run the connection either with their
> TA in front of the router or behind the router (like another endpoint).
> I curious about the "behind the router" type config. Anyone try it?
>
> Many folks are having good success (but most have the new Linksys
> routers and using either stock FW or custom FW that have QoS-type
> functionality). I know of no MS router that supports QoS functionality,
> but still, I like my MN-100. I haven't had to touch the thing in many
> months. It's running like a champ (which is more that I can say for
> many of the other routers on the market).
>
> Thanks!
>
> Shawn

assistance.

time.

Knew about port forwarding - just didn't know if anyone had
any success.

Thanks for the info!

Joker wrote:
> It doesn't support QoS to my knowledge. To get the Vonage running
> behind the router you will need to enable persistent port forwarding
> though.
> skennedy wrote:
>> I've been running a MN-100 trouble free for about 18 months. I'm
>> currently considering trying out a VoIP phone service (such as
>> Vonage). I know Vonage says you can run the connection either with
>> their TA in front of the router or behind the router (like another
>> endpoint). I curious about the "behind the router" type config. Anyone
>> try it? Many folks are having good success (but most have the new Linksys
>> routers and using either stock FW or custom FW that have QoS-type
>> functionality). I know of no MS router that supports QoS
>> functionality, but still, I like my MN-100. I haven't had to touch
>> the thing in many months. It's running like a champ (which is more
>> that I can say for many of the other routers on the market).

I use Broadvox VoIP with the new DTA now behind the MN100 I have and is
working for me without port forwarding. The new DTA has QOS and I can put
it front of the router but there is a small issue with the MTU being set to
1492 when the DTA is set ofr DHCP mode so I decided to put it behind the
router till that issure gets resolved. IF you have DSL with PPPoE there is
no problem with this setup.

"skennedy" <skennedy@NOSPAM4MEenteract.com> wrote in message
> Knew about port forwarding - just didn't know if anyone had
> any success.
>
> Thanks for the info!
>
> Joker wrote:
> > It doesn't support QoS to my knowledge. To get the Vonage running
> > behind the router you will need to enable persistent port forwarding
> > though.
> > skennedy wrote:
> >> I've been running a MN-100 trouble free for about 18 months. I'm
> >> currently considering trying out a VoIP phone service (such as
> >> Vonage). I know Vonage says you can run the connection either with
> >> their TA in front of the router or behind the router (like another
> >> endpoint). I curious about the "behind the router" type config. Anyone
> >> try it? Many folks are having good success (but most have the new
Linksys
> >> routers and using either stock FW or custom FW that have QoS-type
> >> functionality). I know of no MS router that supports QoS
> >> functionality, but still, I like my MN-100. I haven't had to touch
> >> the thing in many months. It's running like a champ (which is more
> >> that I can say for many of the other routers on the market).

TRENDING THREADS