Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading from XP to Windows 7 64bit

Last response: in Windows 7
December 29, 2012 11:16:10 PM

Hello, I've got a bit of an issue

I finally got Windows 7 and I was hoping I could finally switch to 64-bit (I took long enough to join the rest of the world) but I am having issues upgrading to it from XP
Now, I do know that I can't directly upgrade from XP to 7 without losing all my junk, I know everything is compatible (ran the Upgrade Advisor thing), and I'm following the process on the official site (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/upgrad...)
However, I can't seem to get it to boot from the disk. I've changed the boot order to the "DVD/CD" option being first, Hard Disk second and Floppy last but it seemed to just ignore the DVD. After that, I even changed the boot order so it would only try to boot from DVD/CD and set the other two settings to "Nothing" BUT it completely ignored that and somehow just started normally. I even tried opening to Boot Menu as well, going down to the DVD/CD option and pressing enter, but that didn't do anything whatsoever.

So I ask you, before I yank ALL of my hair out..
HOW do I get this to work?
a b $ Windows 7
December 29, 2012 11:33:00 PM

Sounds like you are doing it correctly....

If you have set to boot from DVD.. and you have an original.. non hacked... win 7 DVD
then if you set it to boot from DVD... it should do just that!!!
Only caution...it will prompt you... and you need press a key to confirm you want to boot from Cd/DVD
if you wander away and dont confirm in the time (about 20 seconds) it will boot from Hard drive.

Do ANY bootable CD/DVDs work? if not - may be a BIOS issue

If you sure its all 100% OK... may be some more info... like motherboard and DVD drive model could enable more help.

Cheers
P.S. you cant "upgrade" from 32 Bit to 64bit.. so you willl need a clean install... you know that?(I guess so - since you seem to accept you will lose all your "Junk")

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 29, 2012 11:45:40 PM

Hi, A guess would be that the Windows update DVD is not bootable. You can try making a bootable USB stick and copy Windows on it, or make a bootable DVD with Windows on it.
m
l
Related resources
December 29, 2012 11:52:31 PM

The Windows 7 shouldn't be hacked, I bought it from Staples
It doesn't prompt me, it goes through all the general screens, then there's the black screen that says "Loading Operating System" really fast and then that lovely Windows XP loading screen. I get no "Press any key" or anything of that nature

I'm not sure if I have any other bootable CDs, I'm not aware where any of my older ones are and I don't have the CD for the XP that is on my system (got my build through IBuyPower, I'm never doing that again) BUT I do know that it does the same with both the 64-bit disk and the 32-bit disk for Win 7.

I can tell you that the Motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-770T-USB3 and the CPU is a AMD Phenom II X2 555, but I'm not really sure what the DVD drive model is

And I do know I can't simply upgrade, but I'm trying to follow all those Microsoft instructions, doing Custom Install and choosing the partition with XP on it and such.
m
l
December 29, 2012 11:54:07 PM

alexoiu said:
Hi, A guess would be that the Windows update DVD is not bootable. You can try making a bootable USB stick and copy Windows on it, or make a bootable DVD with Windows on it.

I may look into trying this, but around how big would the USB stick have to be?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 30, 2012 12:05:31 AM

Romanmatt said:
I may look into trying this, but around how big would the USB stick have to be?

Seriously.. you should not need do this...
If I recall.. the upgrade DVDs are bootable...
But for fun - you can try run it from within windows (XP)....
Boot to windows XP.. then instert the DVD.. it should/will prompt to run setup... allow it
It might run... but will probably say it needs to be run as boot device...
That will be your confirmation.....

Stupid question...presume your is a fairly old machine?.. sure your drive is a DVD drive and not a CD Drive?
if its able to read the DVD per above in XP.. it must be a DVD...

Cheers

m
l
December 30, 2012 12:12:45 AM

It says "This installation disc isn't compatible with your version of Windows. To upgrade, you need the correct installation disc. For more information, check your computer's system information. To install a new copy of Windows, restart (boot) your computer using the installation disc and then select Custom (advanced)"
So yep, boot device

It's a few years old, maybe around two, but I do know that it is a DVD drive though, as it just read the DVD and also it even says so on the front of the tray
m
l
!