MN-510 - Wireless light flashes, no signal.

Hello -

I've got an all-MS hardware wireless network here at home.
MS-500 base station
MS-510 USB wireless adapter to a Dell desktop
MS-520 wireless adapter in a Toshiba laptop.

For the past 2-3 months, the adapter on the desktop has
started acting more and more strangely. Meaning: some
random amount of time after the computer is started, the
adapter "Wireless" light begins flashing regularly: on
for 1 second, off for 1 second. It is a very different
pattern than the normal, high-speed "flickering" during
normal data transfer.

This adapter worked fine in the exact same setup from
February of this year, but as I mentioned began acting
strangely over the last few months.

The Dell is a bit old, but no new software gets installed
on it. My wife uses it to read email, surf the web, and
that's about it. (It's a 400 Mhz machine, so not beefy
enough for much else.)

It has now degraded to the point where it keeps the
connection open for no longer than a minute or two before
the light begins flashing and the MSBN Util says "No
Signal". The strange thing is, I brought the laptop into
the same room, and set the USB wireless adapter on top of
the laptop - meaning, the two adapters (one plugged into
the laptop, the other tethered by USB to the desktop)
were no more than 2 inches apart, but the laptop told me
it had very good signal, while the desktop said no signal.

I spent about 8 hours on this today (a Saturday), and
have reached the end of my rope. Things I've tried:

- Rebooting the Dell (dozens of times)
- R'd the F-in M.
- Trying to get MSBNDownload.exe onto the Dell (it never
kept the connection open long enough for me to complete
the transfer. Then I tried using Winzip to Split it into
10 1-meg files, but the Dell had an old version of Winzip
that couldn't re-assemble them. So I zipped Winzip
itself, got the new version onto the desktop, but no joy -
it wants the split files on a floppy, and I decided that
path was a waste of energy.)
- Moving the laptop around and hitting "Refresh" on the
Available Networks" screen in the MSBNUtil, to see what
other signals it could pick up in the area of the
desktop. I did notice intermittently that networks
called "linksys" and "NETGEAR" would appear. (Our
network has a unique SSID name - my name and my wife's
name.) So it's possible that I'm picking up the default
names of some neighbors' adaptors, no?
- Checking to see if there was a firmware or software
upgrade. Both the MN-510 (desktop) and MN-520 (laptop)
are running version 2.2.0.731 or MSBNU, and the MN-500
has version 1.11.017 of the firmware, which I noticed is
the latest.
- Pawed through the search function on this board to see
if it had already been answered.

So I guess I have 2 questions:
1) What should I try next?
2) What might be causing this?

My theories on 2) are things like some neighbor finally
got a new network installed and there's some radio
interference. Or maybe a cel tower or radio antenna was
put up in the neighborhood recently or something.
There's been no change in our house that we can think of
at the time the flakiness began.

Thanks a million - I hope someone's able to help!

Aaron

PS - If you could shoot me an email to let me know if you
post a reply, I'd be really grateful. It's already on
the spam lists, so I don't care about that. ;) Thanks!
12 answers Last reply
More about wireless light flashes signal

    Try changing the wireless channel. Also get both "Spybot Search &
    Destroy" as well as "Ad-Aware" installed, updated, & run a scan with both.

    Some questions.

    What version of Windows is the desktop running?

    What Service Pack is the OS on the Desktop running?

    Aaron C. wrote:

> [...]
    > has version 1.11.017 of the firmware, which I noticed is
    > the latest.
    > - Pawed through the search function on this board to see
    > if it had already been answered.
    >
    > So I guess I have 2 questions:
    > 1) What should I try next?
    > 2) What might be causing this?
    >
    > My theories on 2) are things like some neighbor finally
    > got a new network installed and there's some radio
    > interference. Or maybe a cel tower or radio antenna was
    > put up in the neighborhood recently or something.
    > There's been no change in our house that we can think of
    > at the time the flakiness began.
    >
    > Thanks a million - I hope someone's able to help!
    >
    > Aaron
    >
    > PS - If you could shoot me an email to let me know if you
    > post a reply, I'd be really grateful. It's already on
    > the spam lists, so I don't care about that. ;) Thanks!

    assistance.

    time.

    Here would be a few things I could think to try:

    1. Turn off all encryption, see if it makes a difference.
    2. If feasible.....can you move the laptop around and see if you can get on
    one of those neighbor's networks? I ask that because if you're picking up
    multiple signals, I would lean against your laptops card not working, as you
    would not pick those signals up either. The MN-500 may be the issue,
    possilby failing. Perhaps restting it would help?
    3. For the test, try to hard wire to the MN-500, and see if that works
    also.

    --
    Steve Sullivan, MVP
    Microsoft Hardware Products

    One thing I forgot....have you installed any software recently, around the
    time the problem began occurring?

    --

    Aaron C. wrote:
    > Hello -
    >
    > I've got an all-MS hardware wireless network here at home.
    > MS-500 base station
    > MS-510 USB wireless adapter to a Dell desktop
    > MS-520 wireless adapter in a Toshiba laptop.
    >
    > For the past 2-3 months, the adapter on the desktop has
    > started acting more and more strangely. Meaning: some
    > random amount of time after the computer is started, the
    > adapter "Wireless" light begins flashing regularly:

    Aaron
    I am so relieved to read yer post, thought I was going crazy. Tues Night
    I watched VP debates. I was sitting out in den with Dell Inspiron(Also
    the name of computer)with a 520 Card , I have a MN500 base station and a
    veriszon Broadband. This is all hooked to an elderly DellDimension
    Pent3. In the fron room I have a Gateway Solo(celeron with a Linksys 11b
    card) Equivalent to the MN520 card/ VERY SIMILAR TO YOUR ARRANGEMENT.Whoops.

    Her tis again Dell Inspiron MN520 Win xp
    Dell Dimension MN500 (Basestation) Hardwired to BS) win98se
    Gateway Solo Laptop with Linksys 11b Win ME

    ANyway the contrasting op systems havent been an issue. Wed morning
    After being up late with the sysytem(No problems)It started that
    flashing ctrap. Didnt matter if I switched cards, put MS card in solo or
    vice versa. Still flashes, about 50 times a minute. And icon in systray
    says no connectionn .

    It had never messsed up. In fact I have moved recently to this house and
    I have rearranged this system several times, around the house to get
    best signal, but Ive had weak signal, but nevr NO SIGNAL.

    Now for the best part of the story. Tues night I notice a strange name
    on my MSBN utility...John2655ersjwe or some such thing, y'see my
    computrts have names like this....Solo Inspiron and Dimension. Now I
    see this strange name like you are given when you install. SOOO I have
    never used wep...I use mshome and channel 6. ANd usually firewall. But I
    have trouble transferring files from den to bedroom so I dont see how
    some wahoo down the street is messing me up. Is it that he has given it
    a wep code or something?Like I say, since wed morning Ive had to run
    cables all over the house. I havent connected wireless since then. Was
    on phone with a Hindu from MS for 5 hours Sat.. didnt help. We reset to
    generic(using pin) cut everything off, unpliugged, I even reformatted my
    HD on Inspiron lost a million files, And reinstalled clean/ Just
    finished getting my feelings hurt again. Im thinking it cant be the
    cards...one is new anyway. Why would both die at same time? But Ive
    never had any trouble at all???
    Let me know if you figure it out. I dont know my neighbors that well, so
    I have no idea who it is.
    walt

    1. if you have XP on all machines, uninstall the BNU. make sure your
    XP machines are updated to SP2. Use windows native wireless zero
    configuration to handle the settings on the wireless adapters.

    2. change the CHANNEL on the base station. use a wired computer to do
    this. use your web browser to go to 192.168.2.1

    3. make sure that you have WPA (or WEP) enabled on your wireless
    computers.

    On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 23:08:51 -0700, "Aaron C."
    <pouncerproductions@yahoo.com> wrote:

> [...]
    >has version 1.11.017 of the firmware, which I noticed is
    >the latest.
    >- Pawed through the search function on this board to see
    >if it had already been answered.
    >
    >So I guess I have 2 questions:
    >1) What should I try next?
    >2) What might be causing this?
    >
    >My theories on 2) are things like some neighbor finally
    >got a new network installed and there's some radio
    >interference. Or maybe a cel tower or radio antenna was
    >put up in the neighborhood recently or something.
    >There's been no change in our house that we can think of
    >at the time the flakiness began.
    >
    >Thanks a million - I hope someone's able to help!
    >
    >Aaron
    >
    >PS - If you could shoot me an email to let me know if you
    >post a reply, I'd be really grateful. It's already on
    >the spam lists, so I don't care about that. ;) Thanks!

    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist
    MS-MVP (Windows)

    Steve Sullivan, MVP wrote:
    > Here would be a few things I could think to try:
    >
    > 1. Turn off all encryption, see if it makes a difference.
    > 2. If feasible.....can you move the laptop around and see if you can get on
    > one of those neighbor's networks? I ask that because if you're picking up
    > multiple signals, I would lean against your laptops card not working, as you
    > would not pick those signals up either. The MN-500 may be the issue,
    > possilby failing. Perhaps restting it would help?
    > 3. For the test, try to hard wire to the MN-500, and see if that works
    > also.

    Steve

    I have done all that stuff, right this minute I am using my laptop WInXP
    unit that previously had MN520flasher) I have it hardwired. I have also
    tried using a linksys 802.11b, nothing. If I can hardwire does it mean
    Base is OK?
    I must say this, only recently I have viewed an interloper on my MSBN
    utility, I dont use wireless security , and I have workgp named mshome
    and channel 6. Nothing complicated. I had never seen him before. I dont
    know who he is only that he is new.He uses a genric name for his unit
    which is like you get when yer installing...John87N6Yr43 (something to
    that effect) Mine all have names like...Inspiron, Dimension..and Solo.
    SO when I look on utility to see whats running I jump at the sight of
    this strange name. Thats the only thiing dif. I dont see his info
    anymore, but I cant connect wirelessly either. Has he screwed me up..has
    he encrypted my unit or put a wep in there that makes my cards flash
    impotently??
    walt in VA
    pissed in Petersburg

    Hello Barb, Joker, and Steve!

    Here are the answers to the various questions that have
    come up:

    1) The desktop (with the trouble) is running Win98 SE,
    looks like build 4.10.2222 A. (I'm not quite sure where
    to find the Service Pack info on 98 anymore...) The
    laptop (which works fine) is running WinXP Home. Since
    one machine is not running XP, I'm not going to uninstall
    the BNU as you suggested, Barb.

    2) I've changed the channel from 11, to 9, to 6, and now
    it's on 5. All exhibit problems, but again, only on the
    desktop

    3) WEP is enabled on all computers. We're using full 128-
    bit security.

    4) I'll try to run Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware, but since it
    can't connect to the router at all, we might have a catch-
    22 there...I'll work on other methods, maybe burning it
    to CD from the laptop.

    5) Regarding moving the laptop around to see if I pick up
    other signals in the neighborhood - that's a good idea,
    but in mycase it's the desktop with the problem. (I'm
    not sure if you were replying to walt or myself with
    that...it gets a little confusing trying to deal with two
    people on the same thread.)

    6) I tried it without encryption...no difference. Turned
    it back to 128-bit, and again, no change. The desktop
    just can't see the darned base station. It says there
    are no available networks (while the laptop, again in the
    same room, not 4 feet from the desktop's antenna, is
    getting an Excellent signal).

    7) Because the dell is so old, it doesn't really get any
    new software on it. The only thing I can think of that
    might have changed was the last MSBNDownload update.
    Does anyone know exactly when that was released?

    Thanks a million for the help - I'll check back here and
    let you know if I can get Spybot or Ad-Aware running on
    the problem computer.

    Looking forward to the next round of ideas!

    Aaron
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    Quick update - after seeing all of Joker's messages
    pounding the table about uninstalling BNU on XP machines,
    that's what I did on the XP laptop. Rebooted the
    desktop, and it's still FUBAR.

    Chuggin' along...

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    Aaron C. - the Original Poster wrote:

    > Hello Barb, Joker, and Steve!
    >
    > Here are the answers to the various questions that have
    > come up:
    >
    > 1) The desktop (with the trouble) is running Win98 SE,
    > looks like build 4.10.2222 A. (I'm not quite sure where
    > to find the Service Pack info on 98 anymore...) The
    > laptop (which works fine) is running WinXP Home. Since
    > one machine is not running XP, I'm not going to uninstall
    > the BNU as you suggested, Barb.

    Windows 98 SE includes SP1 (the only Service Pack I'm aware of for
    Windows 98)

    > 2) I've changed the channel from 11, to 9, to 6, and now
    > it's on 5. All exhibit problems, but again, only on the
    > desktop
    >
    > 3) WEP is enabled on all computers. We're using full 128-
    > bit security.
    >
    > 4) I'll try to run Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware, but since it
    > can't connect to the router at all, we might have a catch-
    > 22 there...I'll work on other methods, maybe burning it
    > to CD from the laptop.
    >
    > 5) Regarding moving the laptop around to see if I pick up
    > other signals in the neighborhood - that's a good idea,
    > but in mycase it's the desktop with the problem. (I'm
    > not sure if you were replying to walt or myself with
    > that...it gets a little confusing trying to deal with two
    > people on the same thread.)

    Try putting the laptop near the location of where the antenna for the
    desktop is located to see if the signal isn't reaching the desktop with
    enough power to be able to be recognized.

    > 6) I tried it without encryption...no difference. Turned
    > it back to 128-bit, and again, no change. The desktop
    > just can't see the darned base station. It says there
    > are no available networks (while the laptop, again in the
    > same room, not 4 feet from the desktop's antenna, is
    > getting an Excellent signal).
    >
    > 7) Because the dell is so old, it doesn't really get any
    > new software on it. The only thing I can think of that
    > might have changed was the last MSBNDownload update.
    > Does anyone know exactly when that was released?
    >
    > Thanks a million for the help - I'll check back here and
    > let you know if I can get Spybot or Ad-Aware running on
    > the problem computer.
    >
    > Looking forward to the next round of ideas!
    >
    > Aaron

    One last question I'll ask again because I didn't see an answer.

    Are you using MAC filtering?

    assistance.

    time.
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    Joker -

    Thanks for hanging in there with me. Answers to your
    questions/suggestions below.

    Buried in my original post was this:

    "I brought the laptop into
    the same room, and set the USB wireless adapter on top of
    the laptop - meaning, the two adapters (one plugged into
    the laptop, the other tethered by USB to the desktop)
    were no more than 2 inches apart, but the laptop told me
    it had very good signal, while the desktop said no
    signal."

    and, in a similar vein,

    " Moving the laptop around and hitting "Refresh"
    on the
    Available Networks" screen in the MSBNUtil, to see what
    other signals it could pick up in the area of the
    desktop. I did notice intermittently that networks
    called "linksys" and "NETGEAR" would appear."

    >One last question I'll ask again because I didn't see an
    answer.

    I went back through and didn't see this asked anywhere.
    Regardless...

    >Are you using MAC filtering?

    No. To confirm: I'm logged in to the Base Station
    Management Tool, and both checkboxes are UNCHECKED for
    "Enable connection control and [allow/deny] unspecified
    MAC addresses to connect:"
    and
    "Enable association control and [allow/deny] unspecified
    MAC addresses to connect:"

    Thanks again for your thoughts.

    Aaron
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    Aaron C. - the Original Poster wrote:
    > Hello Barb, Joker, and Steve!
    >
    > Here are the answers to the various questions that have
    > come up:

    Aaron
    Sometimes when I read yer post I forget and think its one of mine..we
    have almost ID system....I have Base MN500, Desktop here runs 98SE.

    Then I have a Gateway WinME, with a Linksys802.11b
    And Inspiron Dell with mn520. I have turned off all impediments,
    firewalls,weps, cinderblockwalls removed,<g> I just dont know. I was
    gonna call MS again and waste the day trying to unnerstan one of our
    Indian techs that have taken away our jobs<Jab for democrats> Id vote
    for Bush if he'd fix my system<g>I might even vote for Nader.(He could
    probably fix it)Oh well, back to torture rack.
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    I've told you in another thread start your own thread for your own
    problem all you are doing is confusing the issue by posting an unrelated
    issue into this thread.

    ElKabong wrote:

    > Aaron
    > Sometimes when I read yer post I forget and think its one of mine..we
    > have almost ID system....I have Base MN500, Desktop here runs 98SE.
    >
    > Then I have a Gateway WinME, with a Linksys802.11b
    > And Inspiron Dell with mn520. I have turned off all impediments,
    > firewalls,weps, cinderblockwalls removed,<g> I just dont know. I was
    > gonna call MS again and waste the day trying to unnerstan one of our
    > Indian techs that have taken away our jobs<Jab for democrats> Id vote
    > for Bush if he'd fix my system<g>I might even vote for Nader.(He could
    > probably fix it)Oh well, back to torture rack.

    assistance.

    time.

Routers Networking