Sign in with
Your question

Windows failed to start after clean install

Last response: in Windows 7
December 30, 2012 1:10:40 AM

My computer was having some problems every time I booted it up. Upon start up, I would receive an error message saying "windows failed to start, a recent hardware or software change might have caused the problem" and would give me some options to pick from like Safe Mode options and Start Normally. I would click "start windows normally" and my computer would boot up normally and run just fine. But every time I turn my computer off, I come back the next day with the same error message. I tried running the windows repair option but it would never find anything. I decided I would just perform a clean install and just be done with it, but after doing that, I tried booting my computer to have the SAME error message. Same thing happens, I just click start normally and it works fine. It's just a total hassle to have to deal with this error message every time I try turning my computer on. Since I performed the clean install, I have very little things re installed to the computer like Java and what not. I wouldn't think it would be Java because I have had that the entire time I have owned the computer and only recently got the error messages. Any and all help would be appreciated.
December 30, 2012 5:44:23 AM

How do you turn off your computer? Do you go to the start menu and click Shut down? Or hold down or press the power switch on your computer?
December 30, 2012 5:10:24 PM

The Stealthinator said:
How do you turn off your computer? Do you go to the start menu and click Shut down? Or hold down or press the power switch on your computer?

I click the start menu and then click Shut down. It's strange because I have done the same things I have always done with this computer and it started doing this.
Related resources
December 31, 2012 12:59:25 AM

So it shuts down normally? You might want to turn on boot log under msconfig.exe and then while starting up or shutting down, you can see verbose info about what is happening.
January 3, 2013 8:41:29 PM

The Stealthinator said:
So it shuts down normally? You might want to turn on boot log under msconfig.exe and then while starting up or shutting down, you can see verbose info about what is happening.

I turned on the boot log, but I don't see anything upon start up or shutdown. Is there somewhere to see this?
January 3, 2013 11:06:52 PM

The Stealthinator said:

I thought I would add some additional details. I checked my event log and noticed some interesting things that have occurred during the last 2 days.

I saw 18 errors saying:

Source: WMI
Event ID: 10

With the details of the error stating:

SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99
0x80041003

I also saw 3 Critical saying:

Source: Kernel Power
Event ID: 41

With the details of the critical stating:

BugcheckCode 0
BugcheckParameter1 0x0
BugcheckParameter2 0x0
BugcheckParameter3 0x0
BugcheckParameter4 0x0
SleepInProgress false
PowerButtonTimestamp 0

January 4, 2013 5:12:55 PM

To see verbose info, for example where it usually says "Welcome" while logging in, it would say "Preparing Desktop..." or "Starting User Profile Service..."
May 19, 2013 1:32:27 AM

Sorry to dig up an old thread, however I get the same problem. Build a brand new computer and installed a clean copy of Windows 7 and every time I reboot I get windows failed to start. Sometimes it is possible to boot into windows and then it runs absolutely fine. But sometimes I can't get past that screen. I did install windows with UEFI mode on my bios as I have a GPT 3TB HDD and didnt want to partition it.

EDIT: Also found this error after restarting and checking event manager.

Log Name: System
Source: volmgr
Date: 5/19/2013 12:17:59 PM
Event ID: 46
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: ReDLiNe-PC
Description:
Crash dump initialization failed!
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="volmgr" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49156">46</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-05-19T08:17:59.787644400Z" />
<EventRecordID>4946</EventRecordID>
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>ReDLiNe-PC</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>\Device\HarddiskVolume3</Data>
<Binary>0000000001000000000000002E0004C0041000000D0000C000000000000000000000000000000000</Binary>
</EventData>
</Event>
!