Intel's '09 Roadmap Revealed: Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

"here is a quick End-of-Life (EOL) product break-down for both consumer desktop and enterprise workstation/server products."

Where is this elusive break-down?

G

As I recall, P3 was a clear winner, P4 added features that actually made performance worse, and then the mighty comeback with Core2 was more or less reverting to P3/Pentium M architecture. Now, they're once again adding all of the features of P4 to the Core2 architecture. Is there any reason to think that this won't cause the exact same problems it did last time? Atom was the first new hyperthreading cpu in a while, and TBH, the performance of it is pathetic, it doesn't bode well for Nehalem.

eodeo

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
W3570 3.20GHz 8MB 130W 1333MHz 1 Workstation $999
XE 3.20GHz 8MB 1066/800 130W LGA-1366 4/8 45nm $999
W5580 3.20GHz 8MB 130W 1333MHz 2 Workstation $1600

Can anyone explain the difference between 1st and 2nd? Its just the name, right?

How about the 3rd? What does 2 sockets mean? Only 2 of these can be used per system? Does this mean that even the Xeon version of the normal processor with 1 socket can only be used one per system?

How do you make blades/farms out of these with these restrictions? How was it done until now?

tormentor22

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
Arent the X58, abd the G4x series 775 sockets?? well i may be not sure abt the X58 but teh G4x series have been around for a while.

[citation][nom]eodeo[/nom][/citation]

Well actually that is a different story, 2 sockets or 1 means that on a single bord u can set either 1 or 2 cpus.

eodeo

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
Well actually that is a different story, 2 sockets or 1 means that on a single bord u can set either 1 or 2 cpus.

Tormentor22, thanks for a clear answer. I was afraid of that.

W3570 3.20GHz 8MB 130W 1333MHz 1 Workstation $999
XE 3.20GHz 8MB 1066/800 130W LGA-1366 4/8 45nm $999

So why would anyone get the regular model, or the xeon model? Difference is solely in the name, not even in the price (unlike geforce/quadro)

Chuck Norris

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008
Thanks for report, but am I the only one who thinks there's a lot of redundancy in all of these different processor releases? It's like the Windows Vista of processors. (Choose from 5 flavors when 2 would be enough)

narlzac85

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
Why use the same socket for a 2 and 3 channel CPU? Wouldn't the price be much lower for a smaller, less complex socket that requires only enough pins to access QPI and 2 DDR3 dimms? If the boards are compatible, I would be worried that customers will try to add memory to the third channel on the board, when its not really tied to anything at all.

kitsilencer

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2008
8 cores, huh? That's 7 more than most applications can use.

I don't get why people start rolling out 8 cores when processors with 4 cores are still not being taken optimum advantage of (at the consumer level).

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
8 cores, huh? That's 7 more than most applications can use.

I don't get why people start rolling out 8 cores when processors with 4 cores are still not being taken optimum advantage of (at the consumer level).

The thing I use the most can use as many cores as you can fit in 2 sockets. Windows Vista Ultimate.

gwolfman

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
[citation][nom]kitsilencer[/nom]8 cores, huh? That's 7 more than most applications can use.I don't get why people start rolling out 8 cores when processors with 4 cores are still not being taken optimum advantage of (at the consumer level).[/citation]
I agree that most of it is a waste, but when Intel can say that 25%+ of people have 4 or more core software developer will need to start doing something. Just like all new gfx cards are DX10 but not all games are. Hardware is almost always ahead of software.

Area51

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
[citation][nom]eodeo[/nom][/citation]
The cores are pretty much the same...
W3xxx is a single socket Workstation with some RAS capability
W5xxx is a dual socket WS with more RAS capability
and the XE is a Desktop CPU with almost no RAS capability.
I'm not a big fan of the 3xxx I think its a waste of money but there is something to be said about the 5XXX Platforms. I have an HP ws6600 with 16GB memory and its absolutely GREAT. 8 Cores with 2 1333 FSB waits for nobody.

Area51

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
[citation][nom]kitsilencer[/nom]8 cores, huh? That's 7 more than most applications can use.I don't get why people start rolling out 8 cores when processors with 4 cores are still not being taken optimum advantage of (at the consumer level).[/citation]
This is why the Turbo mode is so great... if you only need one core then the OS will completely turn off the other cores and overclock the one you are actually using....

G

I think it's funny for big corporations to continue releasing roadmaps when they have no idea what the market will be like in 6 months. I guess they are all optimistic about the next few years, though we have plenty of reason to believe the USA will be a 3rd world country for a while. Default of treasury bills coming within a year, collapse of fiat currency soon after. I used to care about my salary and moving up. Now I care more about putting every penny I can into gold and learning skills (chicks dig skills).

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
[citation][nom]anon123545[/nom]I think it's funny for big corporations to continue releasing roadmaps when they have no idea what the market will be like in 6 months. I guess they are all optimistic about the next few years, though we have plenty of reason to believe the USA will be a 3rd world country for a while. Default of treasury bills coming within a year, collapse of fiat currency soon after. I used to care about my salary and moving up. Now I care more about putting every penny I can into gold and learning skills (chicks dig skills).[/citation]
While I agree with you that invest in gold is a great idea, how can you be sure "your" gold is actually yours. What’s preventing the government from nationalizing all privately owned gold to save the economy?

wavebossa

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
Kit has a good point about the 8 cores rubbish. It's not future proofing to get 8 cores when only 7 are used.

By the time 8 cores are used, 8core procs will be cheaper and much faster. That's like saying it's future proofing to get 3 GTX 280's in windows xp knowing full well that xp can only take proper use of 2 gfx cards.

If your like most people of us and don't use any serious multithreading apps, 8 cores is a waste of money in 2008

knickle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
[citation][nom]WaveBossa[/nom]Kit has a good point about the 8 cores rubbish. It's not future proofing to get 8 cores when only 7 are used.[/citation]
Only 1 is used. 7 are UNused. That was Kits point. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.