New palm desktop?

January 19, 2005 6:32:49 AM

I use palm desktop 4.1 in my system but someone knows if a new Palm
Desktop version is under development?
Thx!

More about : palm desktop

Anonymous
January 19, 2005 10:08:23 PM

In article <c1b89966.0501190332.f1b223c@posting.google.com>,
dennysquare@gmail.com (piazza) wrote:

> I use palm desktop 4.1 in my system but someone knows if a new Palm
> Desktop version is under development?

I think there's always a new desktop under development. Until it's
released, you and I don't get to use it.
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 11:46:52 PM

In article <c1b89966.0501190332.f1b223c@posting.google.com>,
dennysquare@gmail.com says...
> I use palm desktop 4.1 in my system but someone knows if a new Palm
> Desktop version is under development?
> Thx!

The latest is always available at;
<http://www.palmone.com/us/support/downloads/&gt;
Latest is 4.1.4 which is alot different from 4.1
Supports the new expanded PIM's for T3 T5 Zire72.
Three addresses, more phone #, B'day field that auto-links to calendar,
10 user field; Categories for Calendar, etc.
Of course, none of these new features transfer to an old handheld.

--
Hope this helps.
Jim Anderson

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 20:46:52 GMT, Jim Anderson
<fro2750@frontiernet.my_finger.net> wrote:

>The latest is always available at;
><http://www.palmone.com/us/support/downloads/&gt;
>Latest is 4.1.4 which is alot different from 4.1
>Supports the new expanded PIM's for T3 T5 Zire72.
>Three addresses, more phone #, B'day field that auto-links to calendar,
>10 user field; Categories for Calendar, etc.
>Of course, none of these new features transfer to an old handheld.

Using 4.1.2 now on Win2k. Have you heard if they fixed the problem
with needing to grant admin rights to the user in order to install?

Thanks.
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 12:07:40 AM

In article <2huvu09rtbol2r3l5o6neogtvh84n28eps@4ax.com>,
no.john@spammers.virgini.aqui.lter.allowed.com says...
> On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 20:46:52 GMT, Jim Anderson
> <fro2750@frontiernet.my_finger.net> wrote:
>
> >The latest is always available at;
> ><http://www.palmone.com/us/support/downloads/&gt;
> >Latest is 4.1.4 which is alot different from 4.1
> >Supports the new expanded PIM's for T3 T5 Zire72.
> >Three addresses, more phone #, B'day field that auto-links to calendar,
> >10 user field; Categories for Calendar, etc.
> >Of course, none of these new features transfer to an old handheld.
>
> Using 4.1.2 now on Win2k. Have you heard if they fixed the problem
> with needing to grant admin rights to the user in order to install?
>
> Thanks.

That is a Windows deal not Palm.

--
Hope this helps.
Jim Anderson
( 8(|) To email me just pull my_finger
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 12:58:42 AM

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 21:07:40 GMT, Jim Anderson
<fro2750@frontiernet.my_finger.net> wrote:

>In article <2huvu09rtbol2r3l5o6neogtvh84n28eps@4ax.com>,
>no.john@spammers.virgini.aqui.lter.allowed.com says...
>> On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 20:46:52 GMT, Jim Anderson
>> <fro2750@frontiernet.my_finger.net> wrote:
>>
>> >The latest is always available at;
>> ><http://www.palmone.com/us/support/downloads/&gt;
>> >Latest is 4.1.4 which is alot different from 4.1
>> >Supports the new expanded PIM's for T3 T5 Zire72.
>> >Three addresses, more phone #, B'day field that auto-links to calendar,
>> >10 user field; Categories for Calendar, etc.
>> >Of course, none of these new features transfer to an old handheld.
>>
>> Using 4.1.2 now on Win2k. Have you heard if they fixed the problem
>> with needing to grant admin rights to the user in order to install?
>>
>> Thanks.
>
>That is a Windows deal not Palm.

No, it's a Palm installation program deal.

Every other program I've installed on Win2000 has had no problems
configuring itself to work for other users when being installed by the
real admin.
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 1:05:28 AM

In article <r3a0v0lh3503qjp942skpf6ids1tobda6g@4ax.com>, John A.
<no.john@spammers.virgini.aqui.lter.allowed.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 21:07:40 GMT, Jim Anderson
> <fro2750@frontiernet.my_finger.net> wrote:
>
> >In article <2huvu09rtbol2r3l5o6neogtvh84n28eps@4ax.com>,
> >no.john@spammers.virgini.aqui.lter.allowed.com says...

> >> Using 4.1.2 now on Win2k. Have you heard if they fixed the problem
> >> with needing to grant admin rights to the user in order to install?
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >
> >That is a Windows deal not Palm.
>
> No, it's a Palm installation program deal.
>
> Every other program I've installed on Win2000 has had no problems
> configuring itself to work for other users when being installed by the
> real admin.

Isn't that what Jim was saying. The "real admin" would have administrative
rights and therefore be able to install the Palm Desktop.
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 1:29:36 AM

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 22:05:28 GMT, guy@ether.net (Guy Bannis) wrote:

>In article <r3a0v0lh3503qjp942skpf6ids1tobda6g@4ax.com>, John A.
><no.john@spammers.virgini.aqui.lter.allowed.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 21:07:40 GMT, Jim Anderson
>> <fro2750@frontiernet.my_finger.net> wrote:
>>
>> >In article <2huvu09rtbol2r3l5o6neogtvh84n28eps@4ax.com>,
>> >no.john@spammers.virgini.aqui.lter.allowed.com says...

>> >That is a Windows deal not Palm.
>>
>> No, it's a Palm installation program deal.
>>
>> Every other program I've installed on Win2000 has had no problems
>> configuring itself to work for other users when being installed by the
>> real admin.

"...when told to do so," I should add.

>Isn't that what Jim was saying. The "real admin" would have administrative
>rights and therefore be able to install the Palm Desktop.

Yeah, but then it doesn't work for any other users. It has to be
installed by the user who's going to use it, and they have to have
admin rights to perform the installation.

It's poor security practice to require this, lazy programming to not
have fixed it after so many years, and a crock to blame it on Windows.

It does the same thing on XP, apparently:
http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=Pa...(30421)
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 7:29:25 PM

Read what your write. Originally you wrote this:
>>>Using 4.1.2 now on Win2k. Have you heard if they fixed the problem
>>>with needing to grant admin rights to the user in order to install?
For which a correct answers is: every program that alters the system
must be installed by an admin, or at least the installer must be
launched with admin privileges (possible under W2k and XP without
logoff/logon).

I tested the PD 4.1.4 on my UMAX 310T notebook, under a "dumb" user
profile, without a problem. But as I'm the only one using my NB, my
standard user profile is a PowerUser, occasionally switched to a local
admin, so at least zillion times the PD has been run under admin rights,
and only about 10 times I checked it under dumb user rights. Still, with
no problem.
The system is Czech W2k Pro, at least twice a week updated against
WindowsUpdate.

Mark
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 7:32:04 PM

John A. napsal(a):
> On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 22:05:28 GMT, guy@ether.net (Guy Bannis) wrote:
>

>>In article <r3a0v0lh3503qjp942skpf6ids1tobda6g@4ax.com>, John A.
>><no.john@spammers.virgini.aqui.lter.allowed.com> wrote:

>>>No, it's a Palm installation program deal.
>>>
>>>Every other program I've installed on Win2000 has had no problems
>>>configuring itself to work for other users when being installed by the
>>>real admin.
>

> "...when told to do so," I should add.
>

>>Isn't that what Jim was saying. The "real admin" would have administrative
>>rights and therefore be able to install the Palm Desktop.
>

> Yeah, but then it doesn't work for any other users. It has to be
> installed by the user who's going to use it, and they have to have
> admin rights to perform the installation.
>
> It's poor security practice to require this, lazy programming to not
> have fixed it after so many years, and a crock to blame it on Windows.
>
> It does the same thing on XP, apparently:
> http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=Pa...(30421)

Have you tried granting the "dumb" user full privileges for the
PalmDesktop folder? Might work.
Windows is a poor choice, BTW, and for my home computer, I'm finally
switching to a Mac and Linux firewall / printserver.

Mark
!