Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Can I boot Dim 8300 from USB flash drive?

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 5:33:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

I have a Dell Dimension 8300. Can anyone say whether I can boot it from a
USB flash drive?

Can't find a straight answer on Web, inc. Dell pages.

The BIOS config. has an option under 'USB Emulation' for 'No Boot' and if it
can be set to NoBoot presumably it can, implicitly be set for 'Boot'.
There's nothing in the BIOS config. under 'boot sequence' but I wonder if
the USB device only appears when it's plugged in (I don't have one to try
yet).

Any ideas?

Thanks, John
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 5:33:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Yes, it can boot from a USB drive.

http://www.memorykeytools.com/




"John Fryatt" <jrf1@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:UWNNc.818$vF6.155@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net...
> I have a Dell Dimension 8300. Can anyone say whether I can boot it from a
> USB flash drive?
>
> Can't find a straight answer on Web, inc. Dell pages.
>
> The BIOS config. has an option under 'USB Emulation' for 'No Boot' and if
it
> can be set to NoBoot presumably it can, implicitly be set for 'Boot'.
> There's nothing in the BIOS config. under 'boot sequence' but I wonder if
> the USB device only appears when it's plugged in (I don't have one to try
> yet).
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks, John
>
>
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 8:42:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Hi Edward,

Thanks for that. I kind of suspected as such, but couldn't find a definitive
answer.
The page you directed me to says:
"1. computer system that supports booting from the USB port. Refer to the
computer manufacture User's Guide to confirm support of USB
bootability."
but my Dell manual doesn't say (or I couldn't find it).

I got the 8300 without a floppy drive, but have been feeling a little
insecure without the traditional good old floppy. Mind you, I can't
remember the last time I actually used a floppy!
The only two uses I can see for a floppy nowadays are 1) to boot from if the
boot sector/MBR gets trashed, and I think booting from the Win XP CD will
deal with this also, and 2) to get into a true real mode OS (i.e. DOS) for
flashing BIOS or for running particular utilities. Option 2) should be
covered by the flash 'drive' option, so I don't need that floppy. ;-)

Regards, John



"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message
news:f3NNc.2187$Uc4.387@newssvr31.news.prodigy.com...
> Yes, it can boot from a USB drive.
>
> http://www.memorykeytools.com/
>
>
>
>
> "John Fryatt" <jrf1@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> news:UWNNc.818$vF6.155@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net...
> > I have a Dell Dimension 8300. Can anyone say whether I can boot it from
a
> > USB flash drive?
> >
> > Can't find a straight answer on Web, inc. Dell pages.
> >
> > The BIOS config. has an option under 'USB Emulation' for 'No Boot' and
if
> it
> > can be set to NoBoot presumably it can, implicitly be set for 'Boot'.
> > There's nothing in the BIOS config. under 'boot sequence' but I wonder
if
> > the USB device only appears when it's plugged in (I don't have one to
try
> > yet).
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Thanks, John
> >
> >
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 8:42:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

The latest BIOS for the 8300 runs from Windows. No floppies required. I
suspect the future is now the present.

"John Fryatt" <jrf1@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:D HQNc.733$ds.126@newsfe5-gui.ntli.net...
> Hi Edward,
>
> Thanks for that. I kind of suspected as such, but couldn't find a
definitive
> answer.
> The page you directed me to says:
> "1. computer system that supports booting from the USB port. Refer to
the
> computer manufacture User's Guide to confirm support of USB
> bootability."
> but my Dell manual doesn't say (or I couldn't find it).
>
> I got the 8300 without a floppy drive, but have been feeling a little
> insecure without the traditional good old floppy. Mind you, I can't
> remember the last time I actually used a floppy!
> The only two uses I can see for a floppy nowadays are 1) to boot from if
the
> boot sector/MBR gets trashed, and I think booting from the Win XP CD will
> deal with this also, and 2) to get into a true real mode OS (i.e. DOS) for
> flashing BIOS or for running particular utilities. Option 2) should be
> covered by the flash 'drive' option, so I don't need that floppy. ;-)
>
> Regards, John
>
>
>
> "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message
> news:f3NNc.2187$Uc4.387@newssvr31.news.prodigy.com...
> > Yes, it can boot from a USB drive.
> >
> > http://www.memorykeytools.com/
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > "John Fryatt" <jrf1@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> > news:UWNNc.818$vF6.155@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net...
> > > I have a Dell Dimension 8300. Can anyone say whether I can boot it
from
> a
> > > USB flash drive?
> > >
> > > Can't find a straight answer on Web, inc. Dell pages.
> > >
> > > The BIOS config. has an option under 'USB Emulation' for 'No Boot' and
> if
> > it
> > > can be set to NoBoot presumably it can, implicitly be set for 'Boot'.
> > > There's nothing in the BIOS config. under 'boot sequence' but I wonder
> if
> > > the USB device only appears when it's plugged in (I don't have one to
> try
> > > yet).
> > >
> > > Any ideas?
> > >
> > > Thanks, John
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>
Anonymous
July 29, 2004 12:10:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"John Fryatt" <jrf1@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>I have a Dell Dimension 8300. Can anyone say whether I can boot it from a
>USB flash drive?

It supposedly works, but note that you must use a Dell brand USB
drive, formatted with a special utility(?) so that it has a very
specific physical/logical layout in order for the boot process to
work.

--
William Smith
ComputerSmiths Consulting, Inc. www.compusmiths.com
Anonymous
November 19, 2009 2:07:37 AM

This is not true. It does not need to be a Dell brand USB memory key. I decided that I wanted to install Windows 7 on my old Dell Dimension 8300 via a USB memory key. It works! (After a long day of troubleshooting)

First create a Windows 7 bootable USB memory key like so:

http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-install-windows-7vista-from-usb-drive-detailed-100-working-guide/

Put the USB memory key into one of the front USB ports. Make sure that only 1 bootable USB device is connected (your Bootable USB memory key - e.g. Windows 7 install key). Other USB devices (non-storage) devices seem okay. To be safe, remove all un-needed USB devices.

Enter the BIOS -- <F2> at startup. Go to the “Integrated Devices (Legacy Select Options)” and make sure that USB Emulation and USB Controller are both set to “ON”. Go back and look at the "Hard-Disk Drive Sequence" menu and change the first selection to "USB Device". If the "Hard-Disk Drive Sequence" is not visible or the selection says “USB Device (not installed)”, then it is not detecting the USB device. Try a reboot and enter BIOS again.

Once this is achieved, save and exit. It should reboot again and should now boot to your USB device. Voila!


If it doesn’t work, you can try the following:

Enter BIOS setup. Turn on Scroll-Lock, Caps-Lock and Num-Lock in the BIOS setup and then press <Alt>-e (This will re-enumerate the connected devices). You will hear a beep if this executed properly. Now press <Alt>-b (this will reboot the system).

When the Dell logo re-appears, Hit <F12> to enter the Boot Menu. If you've done everything correctly, you should have an option to boot from a USB Flash Device. Good Luck!

!