[ANN] pilot-link 0.12.0-pre1 "Polarity" is now available!

January 19, 2005 1:58:20 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

This is slightly long, but please read it fully.

After almost 16 months of waiting, the first new version of
pilot-link is now available for testing. The last version of pilot-link,
0.11.8, was released back in September of 2003. Its been a long time
coming!

With this release, a lot has changed. The commandline tools
are much more stable, the main library now supports many more devices and
platforms, and code has been refactored and cleaned up in a LOT of places,
and may other things have been added or removed.

...but we're not done yet. This is only a pre-release, and
there is still more work to be done before we get to a 0.12.0 final
release. Many of us are already using 0.12.0-pre1 daily for our production
use. It is very stable, and works well for most current devices that we've
had the time and resources to test (this does not include the Palm
Tungsten T5, however. There are significant OS-level bugs with that device
that are keeping us back at the moment, from supporting it fully).

STRONG WARNING: Do not install this release into a public location if you
use a graphical application to sync your Palm device, such as J-Pilot or
Evolution. While this release is stable, those applications have not been
fully ported to the new code found in pilot-link 0.12.0, and they will
cause problems. One main purpose for this pre-release is to get the code
out there into developer hands, so they can begin the short porting
process to move their code to our new API found in 0.12.0, and hopefully
through the next few major releases.

KPilot's latest code in CVS does work with 0.12.0-pre1, however. If
you're interested in using that, please grab their code and build it
against your freshly-compiled pilot-link 0.12.0-pre1.

With the final release of 0.12.0, we expect that these applications will
be fully functional with the 0.12.x API.

DO NOT PACKAGE THIS UP TO PUT IN LINUX DISTRIBUTIONS! You have been
warned.

Many people have contributed to this release in various ways.
Though there are far too many to mention by name, there are some names
that are especially important to mention. Thanks go out to (in no
particular order) Florent Pillet, T. Joseph Carter, Adriaan de Groot,
Angus Ainslie, Judd Montgomery, Stephan Bösebeck (Java bindings),
Nicholas Piper, Greg Kroah, Neil Williams (manpages), and dozens of
others. Without them, this would never have been possible.

Also, lets not forget one commercial company who has been
using pilot-link in their flagship product: MarkSpace, makers of The
Missing Sync, are using pilot-link behind the curtains of their product.
With the introduction of 0.12.0, Missing Sync is now quite a bit more
stable (and faster) on OSX, due to some fixes we've added. Through the
work of Scott Gruby and others at MarkSpace, we've received some patches
back that have helped us continue to improve the codebase.

Feature List
------------
Here's a short list of only some of what you can find in this release (it
is by no-means exhaustive):

* VFS support for reading and writing to external storage
media, such as MemoryStick and SD/MMC cards. We haven't yet worked out
how to create or remove/rename directories, so you can only install
files to the main root directory for now. More robust functionality
will come soon

* Large Segment Support: pilot-link 0.11.8 had many issues
with segments that were larger than 64k in size. It strictly adhered to
the Palm guidelines regarding these segments. Many Palm software
vendors ignored these guidelines, including Palm themselves, and
pilot-link would crash. This problem has been alleviated, and crashes
due to "large segments" should no longer occur.

* Native OSX support! Thanks to Florent Pillet, pilot-link now
works on Apple OSX using Darwin USB. To use this, simply use the port
designation of 'usb:' (minus quotes). You'll see a tremendous speed
increase and stability on this platform.

* libusb support. We now support libusb on Linux (and maybe on
FreeBSD, need testers). When you build, just make sure to use
--enable-libusb to get that support. This is not the default, because
we haven't yet verified that it works on every device and every kind of
host hardware. The port designation to use is 'usb:'. This is not the
same as Darwin USB support. If you build pilot-link for OSX with
--enable-libusb, things will break on that platform.

* popt support. Conversion of the previous getopt/getopt_long
to popt. This gives us some advantages in parsing commandline
parameters and passing them to other tools. We've also done some work
to "normalize" the common options that we were using across all
conduits. These may change and get further cleaned-up through the next
few releases.

* New conduits. Several new conduits have been added to
pilot-link, with more to follow as time and code permits:

1. read-screenshot: Now you can synchronize Palm
screenshots captured with ScreenShot from LinkeSOFT GmbH.
read-screenshot was written by Angus Ainslie.

2. read-veo: Another conduit from Angus Ainslie.
read-veo will allow you to fetch the images created by the Palm Veo
Traveler camera device.

3. pilot-wav: Written by David Turner, pilot-wav allows
you to fetch the "Voice Memo" records from your Palm device and
convert them to .wav format on your desktop.

...and many other fixes, features, and additions have been included in
this release.

What is missing
---------------

A short list of the things NOT found in this release (but will appear in
another -preX release very shortly):

1. Updated manpages (thanks to Neil Williams, we now have
updated manpages to add, they just need to be cleaned up slightly and
put into place. Thanks Neil!)

2. Ported language bindings. The Java, Perl, Python, and Tcl
language bindings haven't yet been ported to the new API in 0.12.x,
and have to be ported over and tested. There are some working on this,
status is unknown at this point.

3. Documentation: An updated ChangeLog of everything that has
been fixed, changed, or otherwise broken and refixed with this
release. This also includes the TODO file and several other pieces of
documentation.

4. XML support. This is coming, but we need to get the new API
tested and working solidly first. Expect XML to be in 0.13, delivered
in a few months, after all of the prerelease testing for 0.12.x is
completed.

5. Creating/deleting directories on external storage. This
should appear in a future prelease of 0.12.x, and hopefully will be
working solidly by the final release of 0.12.0.

6. No OS/2 or Win32 support. Sorry, this is being removed for
now to clean the codebase. If anyone is interested in helping us port
back to these architectures, contact me directly, and I'll help you
out the best I can.

7. Full "Contacts/Calendar" support. These are being worked
on, and the code exists, but needs to be prodded a bit more to put
into public hands. We value your data as much as we value our own, and
making sure we eliminate any chance for data loss is critical. It will
arrive in an upcoming pre-release of 0.12.x.

8. Probably others, we'll get them all working before the
final release. We can't do it all without your help though, so please
give us a hand with feedback, bug reporting, and testing.

Reporting Bugs
--------------
If you find any bugs with this release, we want to know about
them. Please search the pilot-link bugtracker for your bug first, and if
your bug is not found, report it. Try to be as detailed as possible. The
more detail you leave, the faster we can try to help you.

Live Chat
---------
We also have an irc channel dedicated to pilot-link support
and development. Many of the authors, maintainers, and contributors are
there every day, at various hours and timezones. Come join us and talk
about the project!

Downloading the Source
----------------------
Checksums for the source tarballs below is as follows:

0eb1208d3b0f9e31267267f1519fea38 pilot-link-0.12.0-pre1.tar.gz
ce2186709610888a6b9fcc8eb9f76cb7 pilot-link-0.12.0-pre1.tar.bz2

To download the pilot-link 0.12.0-pre1 "Polarity" release, please follow
the following links:

FruitSalad Mirror (thanks to Adriaan de Groot)

http://people.fruitsalad.org/adridg/pilot-link-0.12.0-p...
http://people.fruitsalad.org/adridg/pilot-link-0.12.0-p...

Katerina Mirror (thanks to Justin Paulsen)

ftp://katerina.frederic.k12.wi.us/pilot-link/0.12.0-pre...
ftp://katerina.frederic.k12.wi.us/pilot-link/0.12.0-pre...

Main pilot-link.org site

http://downloads.pilot-link.org/pilot-link-0.12.0-pre1....
http://downloads.pilot-link.org/pilot-link-0.12.0-pre1....

GPG signatures are found below. To verify these, follow these
instructions:

http://www.pilot-link.org/gpg

http://downloads.pilot-link.org/pilot-link-0.12.0-pre1....
http://downloads.pilot-link.org/pilot-link-0.12.0-pre1....

Thanks everyone for your continued support of pilot-link!

David A. Desrosiers
desrod@gnu-designs.com
http://gnu-designs.com
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 3:54:18 PM

In article <pan.2005.01.19.15.58.10.650021@gnu-designs.com>, David A.
Desrosiers wrote:

> Thanks everyone for your continued support of pilot-link!

Thanks for your continued development! I use it every day, mostly
through J-Pilot but often from the command line. Hasn't failed me yet.

--
Sincerely,

Ray Ingles (313) 227-2317

The study concludes... that even though there is little data to prove
the effectiveness of zero-tolerance policies, such initiatives serve
to reassure the public that something is being done to ensure safety.
- http://www.nasponline.org/publications/cq298zero.html
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 1:15:29 AM

Ray Ingles schrieb am Mittwoch, 19. Januar 2005 18:54:

> In article <pan.2005.01.19.15.58.10.650021@gnu-designs.com>, David A.
> Desrosiers wrote:

>> Thanks everyone for your continued support of pilot-link!

> Thanks for your continued development! I use it every day, mostly
> through J-Pilot but often from the command line. Hasn't failed me yet..

Exactly the same with me!!

--
PGP Public Key für "Rolf Muth (inet)" auf http://pgp.mit.edu/
Bitte nur Textmail! KEINE WORD- oder HTML-Dateien!

What's the syntax for using usblib?

I got the source and configured it with the --enable-libusb switch.

It built without error.

But when I
pilot-xfer -port=usb: -l
it won't find my Palm.

I verified that pilot-xfer is the 0.12.0 version.
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 11:56:36 PM

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 17:01:52 -0500, Ranma wrote:

> What's the syntax for using usblib?
>
> I got the source and configured it with the --enable-libusb switch.
>
> It built without error.
>
> But when I
> pilot-xfer -port=usb: -l
> it won't find my Palm.

You want:

pilot-xfer -p usb: -l

or:

pilot-xfer --port usb: -l

But you'll also want to make sure you can read and write to the usb
subsystem directly as well, permissions-wise. Also, make sure you don't
have the visor driver loaded, it will try to grab the connection first
and libusb won't be able to communicate with it.

On my T3, the backup time for my entire Palm (about 33M of data) is about
9m21s for "normal" visor support.

Using libusb, its just about 2m10s, so a 7-minute savings in speed.

We're working out the bits with permissions, and it appears to be very
dependent on the kernel version (we know 2.6.8 and up work, others below
tend to either work, or not, depending on whether or not you're running a
distribution kernel (i.e. patched with vendor patches) or not. The
unpatched kernels tend to work, while the distribution-supplied ones do
not.

We'll make this work much better in future releases, which is why it is
disabled by default right now.
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 7:30:52 AM

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 20:56:36 -0500, David A. Desrosiers wrote:
> We're working out the bits with permissions, and it appears to be very
> dependent on the kernel version (we know 2.6.8 and up work, others below
> tend to either work, or not, depending on whether or not you're running a
> distribution kernel (i.e. patched with vendor patches) or not. The
> unpatched kernels tend to work, while the distribution-supplied ones do
> not.
>
> We'll make this work much better in future releases, which is why it is
> disabled by default right now.

Thanks for the info. That's what I understood, but I wanted to play a bit
with getting my Zodiac to work on Linux. I figured that since the Zodiac
wasn't in the device list for Visor.o that I wouldn't have to worry about
it grabbing the connection.

I haven't checked out the permissiosn yet, so I'll play with that today.
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 12:48:10 PM

I played a bit today and here's what I found:
pilot-link 0.12.0-pre1
Mandrake 10.1 kernel 2.6.8.1-12mdk
Using libusb0.1_4-0.1.8

The basic command I used was
pilot-xfer -p usb: -l

1. Overall:
There is definately a permissions issue. When I look at the permissions
in /proc/bus/usb, they are all readable/writable for me. But when the
device connects, that one device is owned by root and permissions for
other are off completely.

For the rest of the testing, I simply did it as root.

I also noticed that the "press the Hot Sync Button" first rule is still
in effect. If I ran pilot-xfer before pressing the Hot Sync, I got a
message of:
Unable to bind to port: usb:

2. Zodiac2
- Does not work at all.
When using libusb, the Zodiac does not respond at all. pilot-xfer binds
to the port, but nothing happens.

I enabled the visor module - after having modified it to recognize the
Zodiac. I then tried again - but using port /dev/ttyUSB0.

This time, the Zodiac responded, but pilot-xfer reported that there were
no databases and then exited. The Zodiac then would not respond and had
to be reset.

3. Tungsten C
I disabled the visor module again. Then I tried libusb using my TC. It
didn't work either.

pilot-xfer starts, but does nothing. The TC times out after a while.

I enabled the visor module and then ran using the USB-Serial driver and
everything worked fine.
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 1:20:39 PM

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 09:48:10 -0500, Ranma wrote:

> 3. Tungsten C
> I disabled the visor module again. Then I tried libusb using my TC. It
> didn't work either.
>
> pilot-xfer starts, but does nothing. The TC times out after a while.

The timing is very delicate with libusb, as we've found. You have
to let the Palm side "warm up" before you can launch the desktop side
(very similar to the way you have to do it with the visor driver, hence
the "Press HotSync first" message. Try waiting a little longer between the
HotSync button press and launching pilot-xfer with libusb on the desktop
side. It DOES work, many of us are using it to test it and work out the
remaining buglets.
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 1:27:47 PM

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 09:48:10 -0500, Ranma wrote:

> For the rest of the testing, I simply did it as root.
>
> I also noticed that the "press the Hot Sync Button" first rule is still
> in effect.

This will always be the case, since the device can't physically exist
until the electrical connection between Palm and cradle is made. That
connection is made by pressing the HotSync button or launching the HotSync
app from the launcher. Cradling the Palm does not connect it to the
desktop, just like screwing a light bulb into a socket does not produce
light, without pulling the switch.

> If I ran pilot-xfer before pressing the Hot Sync, I got a message of:
> Unable to bind to port: usb:

This is expected, and there is no way around it, on any platform,
including Windows.

> 2. Zodiac2
> - Does not work at all.
> When using libusb, the Zodiac does not respond at all. pilot-xfer binds
> to the port, but nothing happens.

Did you update pilot-link's usb.c for your device also? We can only
use libusb with devices that we can tell libusb how to communicate with
it.

> I enabled the visor module - after having modified it to recognize the
> Zodiac. I then tried again - but using port /dev/ttyUSB0.

Since the 2.4.21 kernel, you no longer need to modify the driver
itself. You can simply modprobe the driver with the right vendor_id and
prod_id and it will pass those params in. No need to recompile the driver
at all.

> This time, the Zodiac responded, but pilot-xfer reported that there were
> no databases and then exited. The Zodiac then would not respond and had
> to be reset.

Try updating usb.c, wait a little longer between your HotSync press
and launching pilot-xfer, and see if that helps. We'll figure all of this
out in time.

You might also try joining us on irc during the week, so we can work
out the issues "live". I don't think we have any Linux-based Zodiac2
testers yet, so your help could be valuable to yourself, and to others who
might have this device.
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 8:05:02 PM

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 10:20:39 -0500, David A. Desrosiers wrote:
> The timing is very delicate with libusb, as we've found. You have
> to let the Palm side "warm up" before you can launch the desktop side
> (very similar to the way you have to do it with the visor driver, hence
> the "Press HotSync first" message. Try waiting a little longer between the
> HotSync button press and launching pilot-xfer with libusb on the desktop
> side. It DOES work, many of us are using it to test it and work out the
> remaining buglets.

OK. I'll give that a shot and see what happens.
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 8:10:15 PM

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 10:27:47 -0500, David A. Desrosiers wrote:
> Did you update pilot-link's usb.c for your device also? We can only
> use libusb with devices that we can tell libusb how to communicate with
> it.

usb.c already had the entry:
/* Tapwave */
{
.vendor = 0x12ef,
.product = 0x0100,
.idstr = "Zodiac, Zodiac2",
.flags = USB_INIT_TAPWAVE,
},

So I didn't need to do anything there.

> Since the 2.4.21 kernel, you no longer need to modify the driver
> itself. You can simply modprobe the driver with the right vendor_id and
> prod_id and it will pass those params in. No need to recompile the driver
> at all.

Ooo... That's nice to know. Thanks.

> Try updating usb.c, wait a little longer between your HotSync press
> and launching pilot-xfer, and see if that helps. We'll figure all of this
> out in time.

OK. I'll try waiting a little longer.

Ya, I figured that this being a pre-release would have some bugs and no
promise was made about the Zodiac. I was just hoping that this version
would take care of it.

> You might also try joining us on irc during the week, so we can work
> out the issues "live". I don't think we have any Linux-based Zodiac2
> testers yet, so your help could be valuable to yourself, and to others who
> might have this device.

Sorry, but I can't during the week. I'm usually too busy. I had time
this weekend only because I'm pretty much snowed in (Sheriff is telling
everyone to stay off the roads).
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 8:56:47 PM

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 17:05:02 -0500, Ranma wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 10:20:39 -0500, David A. Desrosiers wrote:
>> The timing is very delicate with libusb, as we've found. You have
>> to let the Palm side "warm up" before you can launch the desktop side
>> (very similar to the way you have to do it with the visor driver, hence
>> the "Press HotSync first" message. Try waiting a little longer between the
>> HotSync button press and launching pilot-xfer with libusb on the desktop
>> side. It DOES work, many of us are using it to test it and work out the
>> remaining buglets.

Nope. It's still not working for me.

This is pilot-xfer, from pilot-link version 0.12.0-pre1

Build target..: i686-pc-linux-gnu
Build date....: Jan 22 2005 09:15:41

[root@localhost Development]# pilot-xfer -p usb: -l

Listening to port: usb:

Please press the HotSync button now...

And it stops. The Tungsten C is waiting for something to communicate with
it. After 2 minutes, the Palm times out.

/var/log/messages says:
Jan 22 17:50:36 localhost kernel: usb 2-1.4: new full speed USB device
using address 4
<I waited about 10 seconds between hitting the sync button and running
pilot-xfer>
Jan 22 17:50:46 localhost kernel: usb 2-1.4: reset full speed
USB device using address 4
Jan 22 17:52:46 localhost kernel: usb 2-1.4: usbfs: USBDEVFS_BULK failed
ep 0x86 len 64 ret -84
Jan 22 17:52:46 localhost last message repeated 92 times
Jan 22 17:52:46 localhost kernel: usb 2-1.4: USB disconnect, address 4
Jan 22 17:52:46 localhost kernel: 2-1.4: usbfs: USBDEVFS_BULK failed ep
0x86 len 64 ret -84
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 9:31:07 PM

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 17:10:15 -0500, Ranma wrote:
>> Try updating usb.c, wait a little longer between your HotSync press
>> and launching pilot-xfer, and see if that helps. We'll figure all of this
>> out in time.

No go on the Zodiac either.

Jan 22 18:21:34 localhost kernel: usb 4-4.3: new full speed USB device
using address 8
Jan 22 18:21:54 localhost kernel: usb 4-4.3: reset full speed USB device
using address 8
Jan 22 18:21:59 localhost kernel: usb 4-4.3: control timeout on ep0out
Jan 22 18:21:59 localhost kernel: usb 4-4.3: failed to restore interface
0 altsetting 0 (error=-110)
Jan 22 18:21:59 localhost kernel: usb 4-4.3: USB disconnect, address 8
Jan 22 18:21:59 localhost kernel: usb 4-4.3: new full speed USB device
using address 9
Jan 22 18:24:00 localhost kernel: usb 4-4.3: usbfs: USBDEVFS_BULK failed ep 0x81
len 64 ret -32
Jan 22 18:24:00 localhost last message repeated 1485 times
Jan 22 18:24:00 localhost kernel: usb 4-4.3: USB disconnect, address 9
Jan 22 18:24:00 localhost kernel: ehci_hcd 0000:00:1d.7: qh de837280 (#17)
state 1
Jan 22 18:24:00 localhost kernel: 4-4.3: usbfs: USBDEVFS_BULK failed ep
0x81 len 64 ret -32

Using the USB-Serial driver:
Jan 22 18:14:23 localhost kernel: usb 4-4.3: new full speed USB device
using address 5
Jan 22 18:14:23 localhost kernel: drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB
Serial support registered for Generic
Jan 22 18:14:23 localhost kernel: usbcore: registered new driver
usbserial_generic
Jan 22 18:14:23 localhost kernel: usbcore: registered new driver usbserial
Jan 22 18:14:23 localhost kernel: drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB
Serial Driver core v2.0
Jan 22 18:14:23 localhost kernel: drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial
support registered for Handspring Visor / Palm OS
Jan 22 18:14:23 localhost kernel: drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB
Serial support registered for Sony Clie 3.5
Jan 22 18:14:23 localhost kernel: drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB
Serial support registered for Sony Clie 5.0
Jan 22 18:14:23 localhost kernel: visor 4-4.3:1.0: Handspring Visor /
Palm OS converter detected
Jan 22 18:14:23 localhost kernel: usb 4-4.3: Handspring Visor / Palm OS
converter now attached to ttyUSB0
Jan 22 18:14:23 localhost kernel: usb 4-4.3: Handspring Visor / Palm OS
converter now attached to ttyUSB1
Jan 22 18:14:23 localhost kernel: usbcore: registered new driver visor
Jan 22 18:14:23 localhost kernel: drivers/usb/serial/visor.c: USB
HandSpring Visor / Palm OS driver v2.1

pilot-xfer -p /dev/ttyUSB0 -l

Listening to port: /dev/ttyUSB0

Please press the HotSync button now... connected!

Reading list of databases in RAM...

List complete. 0 files found.

Thank you for using pilot-link.

I get the command prompt back from pilot-link. I press Cancel on the
Zodiac and it just hangs. After about a minute, I reset the Zodiac.
!