850mhz vs 850mhz

G

Is it ay big performance deffent with
the notebook P3 850/700 speed step tech. with the
normal desktop P3 850?which one is faster and is it any way
to overclock my notebook P3 proceesor??
and How about the memory?
i use 512MB SEC RAM on my notebook, will it bring any damages to my notebook if i operate it 8+ hours a day because this is the maximum RAM size that can put in my System. which Os is better for me?? WIN2K/98/NT4/ME/LINUX/BE ?? (i just need 1)
my HDD size is 35GB IBM travelstar (ATA66 i think)

NoteBook User
Dell Latitude C600
PIII 850/700 SpdStp
512M SEC PC100 SDRAM

Dravic

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The desktop would be faster, but not due to the processors.

All the power saving features would play a role. Notebook processors tend to consumer less power, hence the MAY not run software as fast as the desktop. <-- Overly simple explanation

As for Overclocking, I’m not too sure. Notebook mainboard tend to not have the features of the desktop counter parts due to space limitations. I suggest getting a manual of the mainboard and seeing if there are jumpers for it.

Ram should never cause any damage to you notebook, so long as that ram is support by the notebook chipset. This could also be found in the manual.

As for the 8+ hours a day thing. Most PC parts actual prefer to stay on. The spin down (HD's) and power surges they take when booting up is where most of the wear and tear happens. The only issue with a notebook could be heat, But my main PC at work is a notebook that I leave on all the time, and there is no heat issue that I have dealt with.

As for the OS' well, that has more to due with what you intend to use the notebook for. Win9x/me is more games and casual use. Win NT/2000 is more workstation server related, it has greater stability, but the hardware, and game support is less then that of win9x. STAY AWAY FROM WINDOWS ME!! there have just been too many problems reported about the OS, I would wait for say Win ME SE. As with all MS products I tend to wait till the first service pack/ patch.

BE OS would be good if you were heavy into multimedia productions, and graphics work. It has the same issue as win nt/2000 with mediocre hardware support.

Linux is a tech heavy OS. If you don’t need to customize and configure everything, I wouldn't use it. I love it since I'm a Unix admin, and like to have total control over my OS, but it is not ready for the mainstream use. Also if you a heavy gamma, then its not for you. The major games will be ported over, but even then it may be months before they are.

With that much ram I would recommend Win 2000. Its has better game support then NT, and better stability the Win9x. Win9x can only cache 128MB of ram, so you won’t see much of a speed benefit for that much ram as would on say win 2000.

Peace,

Abit KT7 RAID
Duron 650@896
128MB pc133@149cas2
Geforce2mx(205/215)
Antect s1030/sblive+

G

I agree with Dravic "stay away from win me". I upgraded one of my computers as soon as it came out. I figuring it would resovle any issues in win 98 se (sort of a win 98 Third Edition) and boy was I wrong. Win 98 se is much more stable in my experience. Stay away from it until dopes like me have trouble shooted enough to make its consumption palatable to the rest of the public.

GLT