Sign in with
Your question

How to format a HDD (removing os too)

Last response: in Windows 7
December 30, 2012 12:37:24 PM

I've tried using the command prompt which then said I needed to run in elevated mode so I ran as administrator and it then said can't be formatted because of the partition, any ideas?

More about : format hdd removing

a b $ Windows 7
December 30, 2012 12:40:19 PM

Hi :) 

You CANNOT format a drive if its the drive you are using...

All the best Brett :) 
a b $ Windows 7
December 30, 2012 12:45:57 PM

If your in windows when trying to do this simply you cannot, because the files are running and windows is using the drive.
To format the drive you need a boot cd, and you will have to boot from it before you can format the drive to wwipe the current OS.
Most MS OS disks support booting from the DvD drive. What you need to do first though is go into the bios of the computer and set the boot order of the drives. The dvd rom should be set to number one in the boot list, and the HD you intend to format set to number two, then save the settings in the bios before exit.
Put a windows os install disk in the dvd drive and a message should come up saying "press any key to boot from CD/DVD"
Once it has loaded it will give you the option to format the drive and install a fresh copy of the OS. Make sure you have the windows Activation key first though.
Related resources
December 30, 2012 12:48:54 PM

Boot the PC from the OS disk (cd, dvd, usb) and go in to repair/console (command prompt) and reformat the drive from there.

I will assume you know how to change boot order (dvd, usb, hdd...) in your BIOS. This will work for Windows or Linux systems.
December 30, 2012 12:49:18 PM

So if I boot from the disk I should be able to format in CP if I'm running as admin?
a b $ Windows 7
December 30, 2012 12:57:22 PM

Dom132 said:
So if I boot from the disk I should be able to format in CP if I'm running as admin?

Hi :) 

NO LOL...

If you format from cd ..EVERYTHING is gone..you WONT get into windows or anything else, you will have to reinstall Windows...

All the best Brett :) 
December 30, 2012 1:21:32 PM

That's what I'm wanting to do!
Don't want the os!
December 30, 2012 1:28:57 PM

Why not just format when you install the new OS?
December 30, 2012 2:07:35 PM

it says I can't because of a partition!
a b $ Windows 7
December 30, 2012 2:32:46 PM

What is the error message pertaining to "because of a partition"

Have you got other OSs installed on the same drive?
December 30, 2012 2:59:11 PM

Personally I would use a GParted Live CD (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php). Once you burn the .iso image to a blank disk (using the Windows Disk Image Burner), you can boot into the CD and have complete control over formatting and partitioning your hard drives. You can even set disks as "unformatted" or format them as Linux file systems (ext4 etc.). If you want to simply reinstall Windows and format your drives as NTFS then the suggestions by the other posters on this thread are probably easier though.

P.S. Make sure your data is backed up in case you haven't done that yet.
December 30, 2012 3:37:05 PM

Why do you want to format it in the first place?

If you want to reinstall your windows, you need to boot from your Windows DVD and you will be able to format your hard drive before the installation! If you're not sure what you're doing then get your PC to a professional!
December 30, 2012 3:38:44 PM

I wanted everyting off of the HDD
Think I've done it now, booted from disk installed new andformatted HDD and removed partition, don't know what I did differently this time, thanks for all your help guys!
December 30, 2012 6:43:11 PM

Yes, I always remove existing partitions and let the OS create and initialize partitions when I load. Unless I'm trying to do something tricky with partitions. Then it depends on what I'm trying to do. Good luck.
!