PF touchup help

I have a few areas where the paint has flaked off of the yellow areas
of a Surf Champ. I have tried touching up with water based acrylics,
but the surface always looks rough and bumpy afterwards. Granted,
I've got my magnifier specs on, and the texture doesn't look bad from
normal playing distance, but I would like some advice on how to get a
smoother touchup. I have considered a air brush, but don't want to
spent about $100 on a job that is all of about 1 sq inch total. Also,
I don't want to clear the entire PF afterwards.

While I'm on the topic, there is the same type of wear around the
inserts. Is there a good way to get real nice black circles around
them? I'm currently using a paint pen to fill in the circles, but
being as anal as I am, I'm not really that satisfied as to how they
look.

Thanks again guy!

Mike
6 answers Last reply
More about touchup help

    Thats the nature of acrylics, I'm afraid. You'll have to sand with 600
    dry to get it to blend and smooth out. I hope you're planning a clear
    coat or that acrylic job will be shot within one game or one wax job or
    even just a cleaning. For small touchups like this I prefer enamels like
    Testors. They flow out smoothly and don't need a clear protective coat.

    For insert circles I again use slightly thinned Testors gloss black
    enamel and a red sable 00 brush. You just have to have a steady hand :)
    However, whats great about the enamels is that if you do make an uneven
    circle you can use an Xacto knife with a #11 blade and carefully scrape
    around the edges until the circle looks right. Note, I said scrape, not
    cut or slice! :)

    --
    Cliffy - CARGPB2
    A passion for pinball!

    Take a look at the results Cliffy has got on his site if you doubt the
    sage advice. Personally, I use a 1/0 synthetic brush that is designed
    for use with oil based paints, available at your local Michaels or
    Aaron Bros. Red sable holds more paint but repeated cleanings in paint
    thinner eventually attacks the glue that attaches the bristles and they
    start to "fan" out. The Testors paints flow better, dry better and
    faster, are twice as hard and smooth as acrylics, you can cover large
    areas without brush marks, (see Cliffy's method on "spreading the
    paint") and you can scrape without the entire touchup coming up. If you
    want to auto clearcoat afterward, well, you're SOL, but that's the way
    it flows.

    Acyrlics are great for beginning touch up artists like yourself.
    But they do not look right unless you are willing to clearcoat!
    Their texture and gloss will be a lot different than a stock
    playfield finish. After a clearcoat that all evens out and
    they look great. But the key is the clearcoat. Also acrylics
    won't hold up to any play wear without a clearcoat to protect it.

    If you don't want to go the clearcoat route, you pretty much
    have to use either lacquer or Testors enamels. There's no
    choice really. Though Testors is a lot harder to work with
    (no easy water clean up when you make a mistake, paints are
    more expensive, less colors available), they are far more
    durable than acrylics. And they have a similar gloss to the
    stock playfield. Testors works great if you aren't clearcoating.

    For black insert lines personally i use Black Lacquer when
    i won't be doing any clearcoating, as that is the same finish
    as the stock playfield originally used. It also has good gloss
    and wear properties. Better than Testors enamels because it
    actually 'melts' (bonds) to the original clearcoat finish.

    NJ Mike wrote:
    > I have a few areas where the paint has flaked off of the yellow areas
    > of a Surf Champ. I have tried touching up with water based acrylics,
    > but the surface always looks rough and bumpy afterwards. Granted,
    > I've got my magnifier specs on, and the texture doesn't look bad from
    > normal playing distance, but I would like some advice on how to get a
    > smoother touchup. I have considered a air brush, but don't want to
    > spent about $100 on a job that is all of about 1 sq inch total. Also,
    > I don't want to clear the entire PF afterwards.
    >
    > While I'm on the topic, there is the same type of wear around the
    > inserts. Is there a good way to get real nice black circles around
    > them? I'm currently using a paint pen to fill in the circles, but
    > being as anal as I am, I'm not really that satisfied as to how they
    > look.
    >
    > Thanks again guy!
    >
    > Mike

    If you add what is called "reducer" (I think that's the term - check the
    aisles in the craft store) to the paint that will thin it, increase the drying
    time, and allow the paint to level more so the brush strokes may not be as
    noticeable.

    But nothing will compare to the appearance of a sprayed-on finish. If you
    have a Michael's or an AC Moore in your are they frequently have 50% off one
    item coupons in the newspaper. I used one on a decent Badger air brush.

    If you feel like experimenting look for a "Preval" sprayer; it's a small
    bottle with an attached compressed air supply. It's a one-time use thing
    (throw it away when the compressed air supply runs out), but it's not all that
    expensive.

    Joseph "Tony" Dziedzic

    On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 18:24:29 -0700, NJ Mike wrote:

    > I have a few areas where the paint has flaked off of the yellow areas
    > of a Surf Champ. I have tried touching up with water based acrylics,
    > but the surface always looks rough and bumpy afterwards. Granted,
    > I've got my magnifier specs on, and the texture doesn't look bad from
    > normal playing distance, but I would like some advice on how to get a
    > smoother touchup. I have considered a air brush, but don't want to
    > spent about $100 on a job that is all of about 1 sq inch total. Also,
    > I don't want to clear the entire PF afterwards.

    you say it's for 1sq inch, but what about the next pin? and the one after
    that etc etc

    if you can swing it buy an airbrush. double action, top loading is the
    nicest stuff, siphon just wastes paint and is more of a pain to clean up.

    if you can't afford one right now, find a project pin, fix'n'flip it and
    put the profit towards the airbrush :)

    get something like an Iwata HP-C, will last you for ever.

    henri

    Henri...good point. There is always the "next pin"!

    Thanks everyone for some really great input!

    BTW, who is going to York?

    Mike

Video Games