intel vs. amd market share...interesting

G

I was reading in a newspaper that intel still holds a 81.9% share of the worldwide PC processor market while AMD only has 17%...Hmmm?? maybe AMD should try some new marketing techniques.....just a thought

G

This may be true but something like 80% of the 1ghz box's are AMD based and you have to start somewhere.....
they may see an increase in Market share when a proven Server spec chip & SMP is out and proven to be stable...

M

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
That has alot to do with the fact that 90 percent ( or more) of the worlds computers are in businesses. If you look only at personal computers ( home) you will find AMD making major inroads. For AMD to thrive however they will need to break into the business segment, that is why the very success of AMD rides on there upcoming Sledgehammer and clawhammer line.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
And we all know that marketting doesn't research things like this. So chances are, AMD just won't ever take the server market from Intel unless Intel suddenly keels over dead... which won't happen.

And with the new Pentium 4 running rampant through the world, AMD is probably shaking in it's boots. Oh, sure, right now benchmark tests on the P4 kind of suck. But that's probably mostly because they castrated the non SSE processing figuring that once everyone was using software compiled for SSE2 it woldn't matter.

I bet once you see SSE2 software run on a P4 everyone will be praising Intel again. Especially when Intel is putting the smack down on AMD with 2GHz processors.

Don't get me wrong. I like AMD just as much as I like Intel. But you have to admit that AMD was shining brightly while Intel was wading in the mud for a while. And everyone was getting to like AMD more than Intel. Then suddenly Intel jumps out of the mud and clubs AMD upside the head. And it makes you wonder if at least a part of it was all just a marketting ploy to reconvince everyone that Intel is the chip giant for a reason.

Unless AMD has something up their sleeve other than their hammers, they're going to lose the home PC market as fast as they gained it. Especially when Intel starts releasing P4 motherboard chipsets for SDRAM.

And if Intel ever dared upgrade their P4 architecture to improve their non SSE support and fix up a few other things, it'll all be over for AMD's hopes of taking over as the new chip giant.

- Anything can be fixed with duct tape, a swiss army knife, and WD-40. :)

LTJLover

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I tend to disagree with the previous writer. I feel it is Intel that is "shaking in their boots." This quick release of an inferior P4 shows that Intel is scrambling to win back market share. If AMD only needs to produce a 1.4GHZ part to compete with the Intel 2GHZ part, then I say AMD has the upper hand. Have you been reading Tom's articles about Intel. After reading those I have to think that Intel has their heads up their butts. Another limiting factor for AMD has been production capacity, but they are expanding quickly. Last quarter AMD couldn't keep anything on the shelves while Intel was recalling 1.13GHZ CPUS and stockpiling others.

Jon
"Water-Cooled CPU Runner"

G

maybe (most likely) AMd won't take over the Server Market but I beleive Compaq are going to move out AMD Based servers which will give them a foot hold. as for the P4 sure it is fast but I can't see AMD Quaking in there boots about it , even if they do loose the Performance crown for a while...

all I can see is that the more competition we can get into this market the better CPU's we will get for our money , I am hoping that Via creep in witht the new CPU's to add even more fun...

M

one of the first UK T-Bird users....

G

I would keep a few things in mind about the market share issue to provide a context for evaluation:

1) This time a year ago Athlon wasn't even a feature in public awareness.

2) A year ago you couldn't even buy a decent Athlon mobo and Intel was threatening to cut off any chipset maker who supported Athlon at the knees.

3) Other markets exist outside of America. All the crap Intel was throwing out about weak demand in Europe belied the fact that computer sales in general are fine there. The problem Intel is having is that an astounding amount of Euro's (something like 75%) now prefer AMD and have indicated their next platform will be AMD based.

4) Other markets don't have the same brand-name affinity and marketing suseptability that is inherant in American culture. For example, you think the Chinese give a damn about synthetic beliefs such as what is better Ford or Chevy?

Extrapolating American perspectives into the buying habits of other cultures presupposes our marketing tactics for grooming consumer tastes (something Intel is extremely good at) are universally effective, which is a dangerous assumption.

Just a thought.

later Jim

:cool: <font color=blue>Micron DDR Cult Member</font color=blue>

G

I would have to agree on the previous post, except for the 1st point.

"1) This time a year ago Athlon wasn't even a feature in public awareness."

This time last year I didn't know anything about hardware at all (I thought my celeron 266 was awesome :) ), but I heard about Athlon's coming out on the grape vine (ie. marketing, mostly in the gaming magazines I read) and looked into it. I would have to say that they were part of "public awareness" or becoming part of it at that time. True, nowadays with Athlons being put into Gateways and Microns, etc. its more of a mainstream product... (i'd never buy a gateway, but micron... hmm... NAH!! I'd rather build my own :) )

-Raising the awareness of dumbasses everywhere...