P4 design -- Lesson for AMD

G

After reading the new Updated Review on P4. I think I should congratulate Intel ever producing such a modern P4 chip that sucks in all benchmark. In my oppinion, there are some goodies out of it.

The 400 Mhz bus is indeed something to look at. It can be seen that the 400 Mhz FSB and the Dual Channel memory yield so much of a difference when overclocked. -- Doesn't this suggesting 400 Mhz FSB is still slow? It would make the Athlon looks even more pathetic which runs at only 200 Mhz FSB and very limited memory bandwidth even with DDR-SDRAM. Needless to say the Coppermine would look even worst. Celeron much much much worst.

The effectiveness of instruction processed in half a cycle clock is another thing AMD can learn from. It looks as if, P4 which perform so well in MMX-idct has actually relied on instruction processed in half a cycle.

Another lesson AMD can bring home is that FPU is very very important.... In virtually every benchmark, AMD leads in FPU intensive program. This should strengthen the fact that FPU is very important.

A better branch predictor? Another thing AMD can learn from.

Eventhough, P4 looks pretty much a crappy processors to me, I think from these lessons, it should teach AMD to avoid some of these flaky designs... nevertheless, AMD should look at some of the "cool" stuffs out of P4.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
AMD doesnt even have the logic in the core to shut down the CPU if a tempeture threshold has been reached. AMD will burn itself up =)

GG AMD.

Moble CPU? hahaha, next year some time...
Everyone needs a AMD laptop to keep them warm on subway ride home now!

G

Before saying someone has a bias, try to be OBJECTIVE yourself.

Thank you.

Hasse

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Ohh well if yer dumb enough to buy a cpy without a fan, then be my gues.. hmm my celeron runs at cooking temp tho.. slot type..... but with a fan it's cool.. hmmmm still it's no problem frying an intel cpu.. I've done it, all it takes is a little bit of oc'ing and a shitty fan.. Btw I think AMD can learn somethings from Intel, and vica versa..

Hasse

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Ahh btw, amd is making mobile cpu's .. if one pays a bit more attention. There has been mobile K6's fer quite a while.. Not the best performers in games, but laptops never been too good in games either.. they're coming, but quite not there yet..

G

Yes, that is another issue that AMD should look into.
I heard they are working on it on the Palomino core.