Replacing Potenetiometer with optical?

rainingheavy

Honorable
Apr 1, 2012
Hello all,

I have a Logitech Wingman Formula Force GP steering wheel, which I've started to mod, adding aluminium shifters and an indicator stalk (yet to be connected.), but the steering axis potentiometer seems to be on it's way out. I get buggy centre-zones, and full right often reads ~20 degrees out.

In the likely event that I cannot find a replacement pot, (10x12mm square, 100k ohm) I was thinking of replacing it with optical or hall effect sensors. The only problem being is I'm unsure of where to start, or even if it is possible. There is space inside the case for a bit more 'leccy stuff.

Is it worth it, or should I just get a high quality 100k ohm pot and bodge it in?

Cheers,
Michael.

It would be a cool project, but I think you will be better off using the replacement potentiometer.

The optical route would likely require a micro controller to convert the movement to the equivalent voltage. And you would need two sensors; the main one and another that only senses center wheel position.

rainingheavy

Honorable
Apr 1, 2012

Ah, yeah that makes sense. Looks like I'm just gonna have to try and replace the pot then.

Cheers,
Michael.