!Power consumption of future processors!

G

What the hell's going on.

Look at the new P4 processor generations!
High frequency and no real power behind it all.
But i see another problem.
One year ago you could life happy with your 200W or 250W
power supply.
But what the heck is going on now!?
The first 550W power supplys are being built and ordererd!
Right now I can hear one saying this in a few years:
"I can't afford to turn my PC on because it's got a 3000W power supply!" This isn't right in my oppinion.
What would your mom say if you would turn on the 2000W hoover for 24 hours a day.
Hey buddy! In most cases not even all of the lights in your house would need that much power!

Think about it!

P.S.:
Transmeta had made the right decission in my oppinion, although the Crusoe was developed for mobile computing.

8procstooslow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have to agree with you there. In the past no chip came with a fan, in the early days they didn't even come with a heat sink. Yes we need faster processors, but rather than companies coming out with efficient designs they produce these high heat designs which probably have a short life.
Why do real high end chips not come out at 1GHrz+ (PA-Risk, SPARK,ALPHA,XEON).
You should see the air-conditioning bill we get which seems to get larger everytime we upgrade out PCs.

G

I agree , I am hoping that the need for Mobile cpu's will limit how far the high stuff can go with power consumption...
One of the big hopes is that the photon based cpu's will be perfected soon as they produce virtually no heat and use very little power.... we can hope ...

one of the first UK T-Bird users....

G

OR, as an alternative, companies will develop completely separate cores for desktop and mobile CPUs, not different versions of the same core as we have now. It seems to have started already, Transmeta producing the mobile-only Crusoe, and Intel/AMD producing chips with power consumption so high, no mobile version will ever be developed.

G

*wink* polamo is using silicon on Insululator to decrease the wattage. motorola is really into it and they share technology's