There ain't such a thing as bias...

G

I wonder why did we ever thought about having preferences... Especially in the processor market! It's just a matter of price/performance for what you do! You have the need for a MP computer? Don't even wait! Go for an Intel PIII based MP pc. You need an all around performer? Athlon! On a budget? Duron! You have magiaclly found SSE-2 optimised software that you bedly need? P4!

Stop talking about bias and simply acknowledge which processor is best for what then buy it or suggest it to someone which has the same needs as you. And I think this is what tom is trying to do; giving us his adveice based on his personnal knowledge.

Think about it

Seoman. Newbie at last!

G

i thought about it..and i don't really have a clue what you are talking about...maybe no one else did either.....maybe that's why i am the on;y person to respond

wolverinero79

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
I'll respond! :smile: It's the age old thought that well one product dominates in one area, it is beaten in another. Remember Macs vs PCs? If you want image/video editting, use a Mac. If you want anything else, use a PC. See i don't understand the AMD thing at all right now except for price. If you have money (and come on, is 2-3 thousand dollars REALLY that much money? no) why not just get something great? The P4 is very expensive but it's still undeniable that it wins in game speed races. The margin is not necessarily large enough to support the extra cost, but it's still faster. And yes i can see AMD being faster in office aps and daily uses. But sheesh, i've used 20-30 athlon machines and they are much more freeze prone than pentiums. And hey, guys, they DO run hotter. It IS a fact. When you pump about a volt more of electricity through the chip (avg b/w P4 and P3 vs Athlon), it does run warmer. It's basic physics. V=IR. I doesn't change (that's current). V goes up. R goes up. R is resistance. Larger resistance means more energy lost from the system (ie, heat). So i don't know, explain why you would get an AMD chip in the first place? It's only selling point i see is that it's cheaper. Well, dang, if you want cheaper, buy a potato chip and stick it in your box. much cheaper. Doesn't perform as well but it's cheaper. :)

Althons and Pentiums are just melted rock. Who’s rock is better? Who cares, let’s play some games

G

I'd just like to point out that the only good game on the PC<grins>, Unreal Tournament runs faster on the Athlon. Therefore, the Athlon is faster than the P4 for games.

(was meant to be a reply to wolverinero79)<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by mrbaggins on 07/11/01 03:39 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

FatBurger

Illustrious
UT isn't the only good game on PC. The best, but not the only good one.

And I think most people on this forum (most of the actual intelligent ones) will give opinions based on the need and budget, not just a canned response they give to everyone.

-------
If buttpluginside gets banned, I'll be so happy I'll even go buy an Intel.

wolverinero79

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
UT the only good game? Really? Wow. I know I certainly haven't played it since the first month i got it. Hmm, and of course YOUR opinions are world wide facts. Hey, if someone wants to disagree with me, be my guest, but the best games on my system (as in the ones i play most right now) are Half-Life(with all the goodies), Quake3, Sacrifice, Rollercoaster Tycoon, Total Annihilation: Kingdoms, Total Annihilation, Windows 3d Pinball:Space Cadet (it becomes addictive when u can get over 20,000,000 points), windows minesweeper. Sure, not all the games i like are graphic intensive, or CPU intensive, but they are fun. I don't know how you can say UT is "the only good game on the PC". Methinks u just picked a game that Athlon runs well on to prove your point. But hey, that's the cynic in me talking. There may be plenty other reasons why you chose to say that really awful comment. *shrug*

Althons and Pentiums are just melted rock. Who’s rock is better? Who cares, let’s play some games

FatBurger

Illustrious
Don't take what he says too seriously.
Yes, I agree UT isn't the only good game (I think I already did, but oh well), but he's allowed to have his opinion.

-----------------
Whoever thinks up a good sig for me gets a prize :wink:

G

Just a comment on your remark about the P4 being faster for gaming:

It has actually been proven that the P4 ONLY outperforms the Athlon using the Quake family of games as a benchmark. Most any other game will run faster on Athlon.

As far as Intel vs. AMD; here's the advice I always give folks:

If you want an office PC, go Intel. Windows was designed with Intel in mind and it's easier to buy reliable, proven office PCs with Intel's inside (Dell, for example).

For a home machine, I reccomend Athlon. DDRAM is far superior to any PC133 RAM and RDRAM as well. AMD is cheaper, which is the number 1 issue for most home PC users. The difference in price between a P4 with 256MB RDRAM and an Athlon with the same amount of DDRAM isn't *huge*, but Athlon is still cheaper.

I have used both the P4s and Athlons fairly extensively, considering how new the fastest chip generations are (P4 1.6 GHz and Athlon 1.2 GHz are what I've played on) and I generally prefer the performance of the Athlon for gaming and most anything else. That's just my personal opinion/reccomendation.

But then again, the machine I just built for myself using an Athlon 1.2GHz is crash prone, but that's a DFI/ATI incompatibility issue!

This is my signature.

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
Im not bias.
I love Intel's PIIIs.
The only reason I chose an Athlon for my latest box is because of its price. And it was a great decision by me.

<font color=blue>Your mouse moved. WINDOWS NT must restart for changes to take affect. Restart Now?[OK]</font color=blue>