Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Problems moving Program Files and Program Files (x86) Re: relocate program files

Last response: in Windows 7
December 30, 2012 5:35:17 PM

I have a problem moving my Windows 7 Home Premium Program Files and Program Files (x86) folders from the SSD (128 GB) to the magnetic drive (1 TB).

I followed this post:

Forum Post:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/42473-63-transfer-lin...

Which referenced this article:
http://lifehacker.com/5467758/move-the-users-directory-...

Now the original article only discussed the \Users folder. That process worked flawlessly.

However, the directions for the Program Files worked fine. I can see the junction in the recovery drive and followed it without issue. Now when I boot into Windows neither the Program Files and Program Files (x86) function. I receive a error message telling me the location is not available.

However, the partition is functional and I can see the folders. Only the junction is not functioning.

My drive setup is as follows: C Windows(SSD), D: (DVD drive), E:\Programs (1/2 of 1 TB drive), F:\Data (1/2 of 1 TB drive)
December 30, 2012 7:12:59 PM

I worked around my problem. I had assumed that Windows was getting the junction points confused. In the recovery drive my C: became E: and E: became D:. I had typed the commands correctly in the recovery drive, however.

In Windows I remapped the DVD drive to E: and remapped the E: drive to D:. Everything works now.

If you have a solution that would work without remapping, please let me know. But I'm happy everything is working now.
m
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
December 31, 2012 12:10:57 AM

ssampier said:
I worked around my problem. I had assumed that Windows was getting the junction points confused. In the recovery drive my C: became E: and E: became D:. I had typed the commands correctly in the recovery drive, however.

In Windows I remapped the DVD drive to E: and remapped the E: drive to D:. Everything works now.

If you have a solution that would work without remapping, please let me know. But I'm happy everything is working now.

Remapping, unfortunately, is the only alternative to something like this. The reason it happened is because the older drive or "old" drive that you were moving stuff from my have had the same drive letter as one of the drives in the computer beforehand.
When this happens, any knew storage device (external, internal, hdd, ssd, etc) will get assigned the next available drive letter in the hierarchy by default.
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
December 31, 2012 1:47:14 AM

I agree, this situation needs to be improved, though part of your issue is that most software assume your WINDOWS (i.e. C-drive) is all on a single drive.

Some people add hard drives and their systems become unbootable because the BIOS decides to try booting to the new drive even though it doesn't have an Operating System.

My sister was practically in tears thinking her husband had "killed" her home work PC. I had them go into the BIOS and switch the hard drive boot order and everything was fine.

My dad also had issues in Adobe Literoom when his drive letters got swapped. He added another hard drive, booted up and all his links to photos were missing. I switched the drive letters around and everything was fine.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 31, 2012 1:50:26 AM

Ummm...

I'm not sure WHY you transferred from an SSD to 1TB drive. That's a slow-down. Did you have a lot of GAMES installed?

Looking at your Setup, it looks like you had a 2x1TB RAID0 or RAID1 setup (I can't tell).

What exactly is your setup now?

The reason I ask, is because I usually recommend something like this:

Drive#1:
120GB SSD (Windows and Applications)

Drive #2:
HDD (Games especially Steam, Media, Downloads, C-Drive Image Backups)

*STEAM:
Did you know that you can now assign more than one folder for Steam games?
m
l
January 1, 2013 4:10:03 PM

Hi all!

I appreciate the feedback regarding the drive assignment issue. You think something like Junction Points would be smart enough to correct for the assignment issues. I can't blame Windows since Grub 2 in Linux has similar issues.

As for the question, yes this is how my drive are aligned:

Drive 1:

120 GB SSD (Windows and a few choice applications)

C:

Drive 2:

HDD 1 TB

Split into two logical drives of equal size:

Programs (D:) 
Data (F:) 

DVD drive became E:

I will probably manually move some programs back to the SSD. But I want all new programs to default to the D: drive now.

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 1, 2013 4:41:23 PM

There are other ways to free up SPACE on the SSD:

1. LIMIT the System Restore capacity (if at 10%, change to 5% or whatever)

2. Disk Cleanup (TEMP folder is often large and not needed)

3. Disable HIBERNATION (not recommended)

Also, rather than go to the HASSLE of moving the Program Files folder it might be easier to simply Uninstall the programs and then Reinstall on the different partition/drive.
m
l
January 8, 2013 1:52:29 PM

Best answer selected by ssampier.
m
l
!