tom right again

G

after the dust cloud settles, tom will be vindicated just as he was with the recalled over 1ghz p3.
he has even told you what the problem is and correctly advised you to pass on this interrim production chip till the p4 with sdram support comes out midyear (with hopefully a better fpu.)
by the time sse2 becomes universal(if it does),this cpu if remembered at all will be as another stumble by intel.
rambus memakers have stopped production and oems are not rushing to build systems around this cpu.
is it possible they know something or is just that they are all biased and are all conspiring with tom pabst to keep you from getting the $4000.00 system of a lifetime?

G

Will SSE-2 become standard? yeah, I think so because the two biggest players in the mainstream processor buissness are putting their weight behind it( namely Intel and AMD) and I think it's a good thing too! If we can get better performance , heck, why not! =)

Also, I'd like to know if AMD will include the SSE-2 instructions in the thorobred core? Because as far as I unsderstand things, the hammer will be almost the same core albeit with the x86-64 bit instructions...

Seoman. Newbie at last!

G

i believe also that sse2 will become a standard, but will it be like the under utilized mmx or will it be in every strong fpu using program so that you wind up only using certain programs or suffering a big performance hit.
in this case then intel and amd have traded places because business programs ran better on k6 because of the stronger integer power and games ran well on intel because of the stronger fpu.
does anyone know what current programs are wriiten specificly to optomize for sse2?
how many will it be when it's time to upgrade that p4.