Disappointed with Intel

G

I must say that I seriously disappointed with intel.
I admit that I have been Biased to Intel. Not anymore.
I CAN GROW :)
I was really hoping that the P4 would have been a huge success. Not because I was going to rush right out and buy the latest and greatest, but because of the competition.
It's because of this competition that the prices of CPU's have dropped as much they have. This is very good for us.

With Intel and AMD running neck and neck for the past couple years,(Aside from Intel having a better FPU)reviews from places like Tom's Hardware always made for interresting reading.

While AMD was trying hard to make a better CPU, Intel kept increasing the clock rates of their chips to stay on top.
Well Intel's laziness has finally caught up with them.
Intel has frustrated us over the years with
1. High prices
No need to go any further with this
2. Marketing geared to the ignorant
1.4 gig P4 is better than the 1.2 gig Athlon
3. Poor implementation.
Bringing out new CPU's with chipsets that were
problematic from the get go.
Rambus.
Recall of the original Pentium and the PIII 1.13.
4. Control
Locking the multiplier to prevent OC'ing
Leaning heavy on other companies to discourage and help
cripple it's competitors.

Personally, I think Intel better get it together soon.
If not, AMD will become the worlds leading CPU manufacturer
and we'll be reading Tom's Hardware guide to watch intel play catchup with AMD. Sad thing is, they are no longer neck and neck.
AMD's CPU's look to be far better than intels,
as is their Dual CPU solution (from what I've read)
Kudo's to AMD for not bringing out an Athlon 1.4 to battle intel, and for their hard work.
Shame on Intel for resting on it's laurels.

G

too bad about the p4 fpu.
sse2 can't possibly become universal in software in time enough to save the purchasers of the current p4 from suffering poor fpu performance for the product life cycle of their chip.
seems like amd had to know this the reason that they didn't bother to come up with competing mghz cpu.
the competition that was getting us faster and faster speeds is temporarily stalled. the p4 has failed to cause amd to ramp up their speed to stay even.
the word is out also that intel will cancel their rdram motherboard by midyear and come out with a sdram chipset,or use one produced by some one else.
if they wanted to compete with the ball and chain of rambus already against them then the p4 should have been a bad ass in all respects. too bad it wasn't. it would have gotten me a cheaper t-bird.

G

Intel has let many down with the P4. Presonally didn't expect greatness, but I did expect a descent CPU. well we can't have it all. I wonder if Intel will be able to drop rambus at all? The one thing it is good for is moving data. It may have longer latincies but it has a high bitrate. The P4, with its 400 Mhz needs that power to keep what preformance it has. DDR-SDRAM cannot deliver this and SD-RAM certianly cannot. It will be interesting to see how well the VIA chipset will preform.

G

wait til christmas...err christmas of next year and you will be happy with the p4

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
Who new guy around.
I will help before others come.

I was really hoping that the P4 would have been a huge success. Not because I was going to rush right out and buy the latest and greatest, but because of the competition.
It's because of this competition that the prices of CPU's have dropped as much they have. This is very good for us.

That true that P3 was not able to go at the same speed that T-bird (T-bird =thunder bird).After knowing this intel have acclerate the P4 that was a mistake.

With Intel and AMD running neck and neck for the past couple years,(Aside from Intel having a better FPU)reviews from places like Tom's Hardware always made for interresting reading

Fpu is just a part of a cpu true amd have a better 1.Right now the fastest cpu you can buy is P4 1.8 ghz who beat t-bird 1.4.Is no longer true that amd have the fastest cpu.For the dual setup i dont have see 1 good benchmark.So i would tell wich is the best.SSE2 coming very fast in the game.P$ have 20 pipeline stage so it sure that he slower that a equal mghz but with 20 stage you can have more mghz as you see fastest P4 is run at 1.8 ghz vs 1.4 ghz.The race for the fastest cpu is lead right by intel and not AMD.AMD as never been able to offer the same stability of intel and support.

Go read well before made post.

Lowlypawn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Right about the time there is all this SSE2 software hits the shelves is when AMD will release their new SSE2 chip (hammer I think its called). Intel will finish paving the road so AMD can drive on it!

Thx & Cya

<font color=green>I may go to <font color=red>hell</font color=red> but at least I won't get lonely</font color=green>

kurokaze

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2001
does anyone how many games are out there that
have SSE (not SSE2) support?

Intel Components, AMD Components... all made in Taiwan!

macodi

Distinguished
May 24, 2001
There is a Pontiac Bonneville SSE. Does it have a P4 inside?

--------------------------------------------
If you go to hell, you will be very lonely. And did I mention thirsty?

FatBurger

Illustrious
(Aside from Intel having a better FPU)
Athlon has a better FPU.

AMD's CPU's look to be far better than intels,
as is their Dual CPU solution (from what I've read)
Actually, the benchmarks I've seen (can't remember where), were fairly disappointing. Not terrible, but not the unbelievable performance many were expecting.

Kudo's to AMD for not bringing out an Athlon 1.4 to battle intel
AMD DOES have a 1.4 out.

seems like amd had to know this the reason that they didn't bother to come up with competing mghz cpu
Clock speed is all marketing hype (when talking about Intel vs. AMD). Only people who look at that to decide what chip to buy is the people buying an OEM.

the p4 has failed to cause amd to ramp up their speed to stay even
AMD doesn't need to 'ramp up their speed' in order to have a competing chip.

intel will cancel their rdram motherboard
Not true. Intel is bringing out Brookdale/i845 with SDRAM support, but it sucks. They're brining out a DDR solution, but they crippled it to make RDRAM look better.

The P4, with its 400 Mhz needs that power to keep what preformance it has. DDR-SDRAM cannot deliver this and SD-RAM certianly cannot.
Not true. The 400MHz comes from the dual-channel RDRAM. When the nForce comes out, it'll basically do the same thing, but with DDR.

------------------------------
My Athlon can beat your Ferrari off the line.

Tejas

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
Guys,
With all due respect, this article has some valid points, but is about a year too late in being written. The P4 will be a success, like it or not, the willamette certainly was not what people hoped for, but there is a lot of upward headroom in the design. Add the 512 L2 cache of the upcoming Northwood, and the 0.13 micron shrink, and the picture improves. Add to this copper interconnects, which appear in P4 for the first time, and we actually get a processor which will do Intel justice. The 845 for SDRAM is a joke, but Intel certainly do not intend crippling DDR support. The DDR solution is intended for the value performance market, RDRAM will fill the bill at the upper end. Despite what people say, they have very much taken commentary on board and genuinely are addressing the issues. No company is perfect, but to see how much people try to portray AMD as heroes makes me laugh. In intel's position, they'd be the same, maybe worse. No doubt, AMD make a fine product, I work for Intel, and I think it's a good thing, it woke Intel up with a start, but believe me, they are responding. Pentium 4 will succeed, it simply needs to hit its stride, and this it will do. As for the marketing aimed at the ignorant, well, Intel would be fools to do otherwise, it works very well for them, AMD's marketing department would do well to take a leaf out of their notebook, for like it or not, only the technologically literate make the true case for Athlon currently, and it's sad for AMD, because they will lose their advantage in the next 18 months again. The palomino mobile is too power hungry and big too really compete in the near future, and the Hammer push out just underlines that their manufacturing capabilities are not what we thought they were. Intel can maintain the 3 - 400 MHz clockspeed advantage for at least the foreseeable future, and they are closing the architectural gaps.
Regards
Tejas

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
So are you saying that in the next 18 months people should be buying AMD chips? 18 months for Intel to catch up??? I didn't think they where that far behind. The P4 to me is a huge disappointment, you pay much more for no real performance increase except in video encoding, slower in 3d rendering software. I heard that Intel made the 845 chipset DDR support only for DDR1600, Not DDR2100??? What a joke to limit the chipset to the slowest DDR ram!! The price difference between DDR1600 and DDR2100 is virtually nothing, so why doesn't Intel support DDR2100? I am amazed that Intel hasn't even lost more market share then what they did loose. If Intel follows their recent record I expect AMD to be #1 in 18 months for cpu sells.

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Noko... VIA PX266 will support PC2100, SiS 640 will support PC2100, ALi chipset will support PC2100...

ATi chipset will PC2100 w/ UMA

Nice Intel and AMD users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:

G

Well so what amd should have the edge all future P4 users are stuck with rdram anyway.

AMD user's always have the edge !

FatBurger

Illustrious
Right, the INTEL chipset only supports PC1600 (it was in a thread around here somewhere). The Via chipset (and the others) could very well be good, although I don't want to speculate about future products too much.

Intel either crippled it on purpose, did something stupid, is planning on releasing it with more support, or planning on having an update later on.

-------
If buttpluginside gets banned, I'll be so happy I'll even go buy an Intel.

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
Not necessarily, the P4 can be put together with PC133 (although I don't know why anyone would do such a thing). And after the contract Intel made with Rambus expires, they can opt to swith use DDR.

<font color=blue>Your mouse moved. WINDOWS NT must restart for changes to take affect. Restart Now?[OK]</font color=blue>

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Exactly, everyone else will use DDR2100 except Intel - DDR1600. I can't see that as a good decision, kinda lame if it is true. So Intel may have the slowest chipset for their P4s. We will see.

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
Not true. The 400MHz comes from the dual-channel RDRAM. When the nForce comes out, it'll basically do the same thing, but with DDR.

In theory but Pal and T-bird are desigh to work with SDRAM vs P4 that have a architecture that cant put this kind of bandwith to work.L2 cache help too for this P4 have the fastest and less latency.IWith northwood 512 L2 cache they cant push even harder is RDRAM.I just hope they will support Pc 1066.

G

well, the currant p4 is planned to be a disapointment. you can see fromm intel past history that when ever they release new series of ships(P1, P2, P3), they always comes out with a lousy version of it, then come out with a better version. ex. When the p2 first came out, it have the lousy 66FSB, but then have the faster 100FSB at 350mhz+. Same thing with the p3 'katmai' core. It wasn't much of a breakthrough until the 'coppermine' core came. So thats going to be the same thing with the p4.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Juin, use the <quote> tags when you're replying to a specific part of a post. I didn't realize what you were saying for a while.

-----------------
Whoever thinks up a good sig for me gets a prize :wink: