Audio over DVI ?

ungovernable

Distinguished
BANNED
Apr 14, 2011
I'm buying a monitor that will be used on a dual-display to watch movie while browsing internet. The monitor has included speakers but it only has DVI and doesn't have HDMI.

My question is : my video source will be a HDMI cable streaming video AND audio. If i use a HDMI to DVI adapter to plug my source in my monitor, will i get audio even if the monitor's input is DVI or will i only get video ?

Thanks

well... my video card outputs sound out via dvi and i use a dvi to hdmi cable to connect to my receiver so i can attest that the cables are capable of carrying sound and video.

although i have heard not all dvi cables can carry sound. perhaps it is a new revision to the dvi standard and only that standard cable and above carry sound. i havent looked into it.

i know the cable that came with my evga video card supported it perfectly. see if you have any such cables laying around. and check it out. dont see how it could hurt.

Apparently audio over DVI is uncommon but not impossible. From the Wikipedia article about DVI:

Features specific to HDMI, such as remote-control, audio transport, xvYCC, and deep-color, are not usable in devices that only support DVI signalling. However, many devices can output HDMI over a DVI output (examples: ATI 3000-series and NVIDIA GTX 200-series video cards),[7] and some multimedia displays accept HDMI (including audio) over a DVI input. Exact capabilities vary from product to product.

However, if the monitor doesn't support audio over the DVI input, it will probably have a 3.5mm TRS jack for audio input, and even if you don't have a sound card, you've probably got motherboard audio, which will have 3 or 6 3.5mm TRS jacks, one of which will be appropriate for simple stereo audio output.