What to look for in a good Gaming Monitor

kdog510

Honorable
May 28, 2012
Recently I built a high end gaming PC and I was looking for a good quality, widescreen, 24" monitor to compliment it. The thing is, I really don't know what to look for specs wise.

I hear very mixed things about refresh rates, viewing angles and resolutions alike. Also due to some rotten luck recently (dead mobo and RAM at once if you can believe), I am taking every precaution before buying a screen I'll be staring at for a long time.

Anyway, I was hoping I could find some suggestions for good monitors for gaming, or at least some down to earth pointers on what to look for. Price isn't really an issue, but obviously the less expensive the better. My GPU is an EVGA GTX 680 if it helps.

Thanks a lot for your time!

revolution2718

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
I know its odd to say this but a lot of the specs on a monitor just really don't mean anything. A lower response time is better, as is a higher contrast ratio, but sinces there's no real standard which all companies use it's tough to tell which monitor is better simply by looking at the specs. The real specs which are useful are resolution, size (obviously), and panel and backlight type.

I'd take a look at the Asus VS238H-P, which is what I ended up getting after doing a lot of research (despite what the amazon headline says it does not have integrated speakers.

It has HDMI and DVI in, tilt on the stand which is pretty decent (the majority of complaints are a flimsy stand, but I don't have an issue with it). Its got a fast response time, nice colors after some calibration, and the LED backlight makes for a slimmer monitor with lower power consumption. As for the panel type (which i mentioned but didn't explain), its is a TN panel which is considered better for gaming (and cheaper), as opposed to the more expensive IPS panel which I would recommend for someone looking to do a lot of professional work that requires accurate colors.

Would definitely recommend this monitor.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005BZNEVQ

kdog510

Honorable
May 28, 2012
Thanks for the response,

I totally hear ya, its good to hear it from someone else though HAHA! I always thought you can't really tell a monitor is good until you actually, you know, SEE it. Though with a dearth of retail outlets to do so, I resort to paranoid stat comparisons.

By coincidence, I was looking at a similar brand Asus monitor, I think it may be either a remodel or one level up.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236153

It has been getting rave reviews everywhere, but I had a little customer service nightmare with an ASUS motherboard I purchased. I don't feel like gambling at the moment, which is why I don't want to chance that Yamkasi brand either. Anything good to say about this particular model?

Thanks again man

revolution2718

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
I think that's just the size an inch up from the one I own, so I'd assume it's the same panel and all that jazz.

I've been buying Asus forever without any issues, I actually don't think I've ever needed to use their customer service so I can't help you there. Overall I think they're a pretty reliable brand.