G

Hi, I hope it is ok to ask for advice on a board like this, if not, just leave the post. The thing is I'm runnin on a pretty old system right now, a p2 350, with 128mbyte sdram pc100, and I need to do an upgrade, but a pretty cheap one.

I'm thinkin of a new cpu and I guess I'll need a new motherboard as well. Intel or AMD? Can I keep my memory?

I would be very glad for any help and suggestions I can getto make the right decisions to get a better performin system.

/Anders

G

Hi. If you want a cheap system, your best bet is a Duron. A Duron running at 700 Mhz is dirt cheap. You'll have to buy a new motherboard though you can keep the ram. However, if the motherboard that you currently have can support a P3 coppermine, then maybe you can consider just getting a P3. You'll save on the motherboard. Motherboards that can support a Duron are still quite expensive.

You should go to www.anandtech.com or www.sharkyextreme.com and take a look at their suggestions for a value system. I think they update the article once every month.

G

Another thing, I thinkin about spendin around 400$

ty for all suggestions I can get

/Anders

G

It depends on your MB and how much faster you want ot go, if you just want a bit of a boost then maybe look for a cheap slot P3 clocked as fast as your MB can go , otherwise go for a Socket A Mb and a Duron/Athlon chip.....
have a read of your MB manual before you decide so you know what it can do...
If you are changing both the Duron offers by far the best Price performance......

Good Luck

M

one of the first UK T-Bird users....

G

Yeah, yeah, yeah - like you went to a Duron for p/p ? You just looked at the goodies with the Tbird and tossed the Duron out with the trash ...

===
Do unto others before they do unto you...

Atman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
First off,
Why do you want to upgrade? What do you want to go faster? What are you wanting to accomplish?
Are you wanting better gaming performance? If so, then what graphics card are you running?
Are you running big apps like PhotoShop and need better performance there?

The more details you provide the better your responses will likely be.
Take Care
Atman

G

I was willing to pay for the T-Bird , the original post said cheap and the duron is better for that .....

Oh and of course you really need that gig of ram :)

M

G

Oh, don't be so ridiculous - windows barely boots with less than gig of ram. Besides, how do you justify the five or so machines in your office room ?

===

G

I personally do not see five machines ( except maybe for storage space ) as a necessity for investigation www.ultrapasswords.com

===

G

will you quit it and give this guy some advice....

M

G

Go for Duron - the motherboard IMHO offers better upgradability up to 1.2Ghz Tbird, for not a lot of dosh....

===

G

Ok, I will try to make some further explanation, right now my system is like this:

p2 350
128mbyte pc100 ram
15gig hdd
riva tnt2
x40cd rom
4xcdrw
19" philips monitor

I'm not a very big gamer, I only play 1 game, and thats Age of Kings:TC, but it doesn't perform very well on my computer, in big multiplayer games. Other I mostly use Visual Studio and photoshop.

So, where shall I put my ~400$ to get my system running better. One more question, do I need to change the case if i'm buyin an athlon?(I don't think my power supply can give 300w, havin an ATX case now)

Tanks for all help I can get and all help I aldready got

/Anders

G

yea, I'm runnin w2k, and I do play AOK:TC alot so thats the main reson for my frustration --> thoughts of upgradin..:eek:)

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You left out which motherboard you currently have. Did not see a sound card mentioned earlier is it onboard? You don't do alot of gaming, but what do you do?

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

G

even if you need a new psu for an athlon/duron you just change that and not the whole case and a PSU is only £20 over here in the uk which is about $30 so it is a small price to pay. I would recomend getting some more mem but do it fast as teh prices are on the up again....

M

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
eek, sorry about that last post missed the photshop part. At $400.00 budget you have a couple of options and strong arguments can be made for both. If you opt for the tbird/duron yes you will need another psupply along with pc133 ram to take full advantage. This almost negatates the price performance issue in your particular case.
At first glance I would opt for:
1) p3 800/100.............$190 (shipping included)
2) MS-6337 pro............$120.00 (shipping included)
3) 128 meg pc-133 SDRAM...$70.00 (shipping included)

After that in the future when your budget allowed it the next thing would be to get a better vid card, but seeing how you are no gaming nut that can wait although visual basic would benenfit.

G

if even the mobo is to be pulled off, AMD is the one and only way to go in terms of performance/$$$

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Not if in the process you have to get a new case and ram. Remember we are talking an upgrade here and not a new system build. I love AMD, don't get me wrong, but we are talking the best for this man for 400 bucks using as many of the old parts he can. This is not a question of who is better, AMD or Intel.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
>>Not if in the process you have to get a new case and ram<<
If he uses AT case which I doubted he does, then you need a new ATX one (even in that case, it's only $55 for Enlight 7237).
He can still use his old PC-100 RAM (KT-133 chipset supports it as well as PC-133).

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
To my knowlegde I have not seen a pentium using AT since the 233 mmx. And yes he could use the 100 mhz with the duron but if he does that s he loses some of the performance increase you touted earlier.

G

thx everybody, I just realized that I will spend a few more bucks on the system..hehe what do u think about this:

(this some kit I found at pcboost.com
ASUS A7V "Thunderbird" Athlon MotherBoard
AMD Athlon CPU 900Mhz - 3 Year Warranty
AMD Approved Mega Cooling Fan / Heatsink
128MB Atlas Precision PC133 SDRAM Matched to your ASUS A7V
80mm Case Fan (Ball Bearing

469.45$

In-Win Q500 Full Tower ATX Case(300W)
99,45$

Total, with tax and shippin = 654.49

Is it good price? Is it a good combination? Will I need anythin more?

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
ASUS A7V "Thunderbird" Athlon MotherBoard
AMD Athlon CPU 900Mhz - 3 Year Warranty >>>>>>>$327.00
AMD Approved Mega Cooling Fan / Heatsink
(BZBOYZ.com)
pc-133 128 meg>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> $72.00
(Paradise PC)
Big blue case >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> $78.00
(http://www.pjchavaux.com/cases/blueboy3.jpg)

the case is kinda cool but a matter of personal pref I have one and like it quite a bit.
This setup saves you enough to get a gforce mx

G

Definitely go for the Duron system, best bang for the buck of all the CPU's out there.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
This is what I am in the process of putting together.

Abit KT7 RAID motherboard, Duron 600 Mhz, (pretested to 1000 Mhz), and OCZ Monster II Heatsink and fan. $217 for the combo (from OCZ.SAFESHOPPER.COM)

128 MB pc-133 RAM, $75, from the same source.

Midtower case, 4 5-1/4", 2 3-1/2", and 3 3-1/2" hidden bays, with 300 Watt power suply + case fan, $42 + $4.25=$46.25 from WWW.NIMBUSPC.COM

Total cost=~$380 including shipping.

I'm still waiting for the case and fan but I have everything else.