Which laptop is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hst19

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010
Hi guys. I'm having trouble choosing between two models. Which of these two notebooks is better? I'm thinking of buying a new notebook for everyday use and some gaming and would like to know which one has better specs. They have different processors and GPUs, but other specs are very similar.

Asus K41E33VD
Processor: Intel Celeron dual core T3300 processor, 2.0 GHz
bus speed: 800MHz
L2 cache: 1MB
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 320M (graphics memory 1 GB)

Dell Inspiron M4010R
Processor: AMD Athlon Dual-Core P340 II, 2.2 GHz
L2 cache: 1 MB
Bus speed 1600 MHz
Graphics card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD5430 (graphics memory 512 MB)

The Asus has a GPU with a bigger memory, but the Dell has a higher processor frequency and bus speed. I'm not very tech-savvy so I have no idea which one is better. Thanks for your help!

IsabellaWinTeam

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010

Hi there,

I recommend you check out the minimum and recommended requirements of the games that you plan on playing on your laptop. That may help you determine which one is the better fit.

Cheers,
Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team

hst19

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010
Thanks for your replies guys! I'd appreciate it if you can answer few more questions. Most of the games I plan on playing will run with at least 256 MB VRAM (512 MB recommended for most of them).

The Asus has a slower bus speed, so will this slow down the performance when playing fairly demanding games with medium settings, even though it has a faster GPU with higher VRAM?

And how do the two processors compare? Is either of them better than the other?

Thanks!!!

RickyT23

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
Yeah - you will find you can play the games with lowered settings. I can run Fallout 3 on an Atom single core @ 1.6Ghz and an NVidia 9300 GS. Get the Asus machine, Dells are not very good IMO. Just poor customer support, often selling reconditioned components, notorious for failing. Asus are better IMO. I have a few Asus things (netbook, LCD monitor, motherboard) and they are all good. I have seen a lot of faulty Dell machines on the other hand.

hst19

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010

Thanks Maziar. I'm in China and want to order online from Chinese Newegg, so these two are the only ones with dedicated graphics that fit my budget. Other notebooks with higher VRAM are too expensive.

Do you have any idea how the slower bus speed in the Asus will affect performance?

It won't make a huge difference in performance.Clock speed is more important.

Status
Not open for further replies.