Sign in with
Your question

New 30" Flagship Displays coming soon?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
April 5, 2012 1:15:35 AM

Hi all,

I just purchased my new GTX 680 SLI set-up and now I want to use that power and buy a 30" 2650x1600 display. I was looking at reviews and it seemed that the current models have been out for about a year now. I couldn't find any articles discussing new flagship monitors from Dell or HP. Are there going to be any? Is anyone aware of the release cycle that is followed by these companies? I don't want to drop $1300 and have a new model release 2 weeks later.

I appreciate your input!
April 5, 2012 7:32:09 PM

I'm constantly googling to see who is doing what with new monitor line-ups. So far, the only new stuff I've seen is LG. There doesn't seem to be anything available as far as what's coming up or when it's going to be out. Kind of crappy. I will say that with the U3011 price going down, I'm just assuming they might be getting ready to push something new out, but, I'm just speculating.
April 5, 2012 11:24:09 PM

30" monitors are at a bit of a plateau. You can't do 120hz or 3d with them, because there isn't an interface that can move that much data. All the current ones accept a lot of different connections, so there's not much point in redesigning them.

The biggest difference is if you want a scalar or not(having an on screen display vs. a lower lag). I suppose Samsung might make a 30" PLS monitor. Other than that, I can't think of much "new" to be done.
Related resources
April 6, 2012 4:11:21 AM

I was wondering the same thing about 27inch 2560x1440 monitors. I've seen zero updates anywhere.
April 6, 2012 4:40:33 AM

MagicPants said:
30" monitors are at a bit of a plateau. You can't do 120hz or 3d with them, because there isn't an interface that can move that much data. All the current ones accept a lot of different connections, so there's not much point in redesigning them.

The biggest difference is if you want a scalar or not(having an on screen display vs. a lower lag). I suppose Samsung might make a 30" PLS monitor. Other than that, I can't think of much "new" to be done.

Refinements can always be made to existing technology. For example the next U3011 could have improved screen uniformity and it wouldn't kill them to ditch the plastic aesthetics. About 4 years back I used to own their 27" model it had a nice metal bezel and glass base.
April 6, 2012 9:39:48 PM

Good points. I suppose one thing that has gotten better is LED technology(more lumens for less energy), so you might see an LED version of the 30" panels soon.

Display port might also be a pretty big deal. And the u3011 does have a bug with the OSD that causes it freeze and not turn on until you pull the plug and reset it. It happens to me about once every 3 months. Maybe they will fix that.
!