Asus vs MacBook Pro

Hello,

I'm looking for a portable machine that is powerful enough for video editing and Flash animation. I'm hoping for one of the new Intel i7 processors. I've heard Asus has good builds - but then Mac is...well, Mac (Final Cut, woohoo!). What graphic card/RAM combo should I be looking for, and would anyone recommend a particular Asus machine? And do ya'll like your new i7 cores?

Budget: ~$1800
Usage: video editing, 2D animation
Color preference: the color of fast.
8 answers Last reply
More about asus macbook
  1. Hello and welcome to the forums
    If you are going to use Final cut,then your only choice is MBP and within your budget,you can get the MBP 15" with the basic configuration(2.4Ghz i5 CPU).
    As for windows alternatives,you can get notebooks like ASUS G53JW in the same price range, but it has worse build/display quality and significantly lower battery life too.
  2. Maziar said:
    Hello and welcome to the forums
    If you are going to use Final cut,then your only choice is MBP

    As for windows alternatives,you can get notebooks like ASUS G53JW in the same price range, but it has worse build/display quality and significantly lower battery life too.


    I'm not concerned about battery life (this will be a workstation type computer; I just move a lot and don't want to pack up a desktop), but how do the i5/i7 compare? Is the speed of an i7 with a good graphics card and lots fo memory a big enough jump from an i5 MBP?
  3. countdown621 said:
    I'm not concerned about battery life (this will be a workstation type computer; I just move a lot and don't want to pack up a desktop), but how do the i5/i7 compare? Is the speed of an i7 with a good graphics card and lots fo memory a big enough jump from an i5 MBP?


    The answer to your question is, YES!

    i7 + Better Graphics Card > i5 MBP
  4. An i7 quad core CPU with a VGA like GTX 460M performs better than i5 MBP in multi-threaded tasks and game.
  5. MAC $1800
    15" LCD
    4GB RAM
    320GB HDD 5400rpm
    2.4Ghz i5
    nvidia 330m


    Asus G73JH-B1 $1739
    17" LCD 1080p
    8GB RAM
    1000GB HDD
    i7 740QM
    ATI 5870 1GB DDR5

    very similar with GTX 460m
    ASUS G53JW-A1 $1450


    http://www.newegg.com/Store/BrandSubCategory.aspx?Brand=1315&SubCategory=32&name=Laptops-Notebooks&Order=PRICED
  6. Toss up between the 460m and the 5870 I like the 5870....

    http://www.notebookcheck.net/ATI-Mobility-Radeon-HD-5870.23073.0.html
  7. Thank you, people! Excellent replies all. Clearly the Asus i7 is a better fit for me.
  8. countdown621 said:
    Thank you, people! Excellent replies all. Clearly the Asus i7 is a better fit for me.


    Great choice! Now you will get to decide whether you want a 15 or a 17 inch screen. If you are stationed at home most of the time and not traveling daily I would get a 17.
Ask a new question

Read More

Asus Macbook Pro Video Editing Laptops