Sign in with
Your question
Solved

HELP - Can't boot computer

Last response: in Windows 7
December 30, 2012 7:24:12 PM

Hello everyone,

I think I just screwed up my computer.

First I wanted to dual boot Windows XP and Windows 7. I already had Windows 7, so I installed XP and I was stuck on XP. I used FreeBCD to make the dual boot screen show up. It actually worked on my other computer, but that time I probably didn't choose the right drive letter to boot on (because C: was for System, D: was for XP and E: was for Win7, but I choose C: for XP). So from that everytime I booted up the computer it said that Windows/system32/ntoskrnl.exe was missing or corrupt.

To try to fix that, I used the Repair Console from the XP installation disk. I tried "chkdsk", which said that it found one or more unrecoverable problems. I tried "bootcfg /rebuild" but it didn't work either. So I searched on the net and I stumbled on a site that said to use the "fixboot" and "fixmgr" commands. I didn't really think and I just went straight ahead and did that, and ignored the warnings.

So now the whole drive is screwed up. Everytime I boot up my computer it says "Invalid Partition Table". I tried booting Knoppix from a live CD. It worked, but I could get into the hard drive. I tried installing Windows 7 again, but when it comes to select a partition nothing shows up, and when I click Load Drivers and click on C:, it says that I need to format it. And when I click Ok, it says that it's read-only and that I can't format it.

So now I don't know if I can even use my computer again. I just want to backup all my data on my hard drive and then install everything again. Is that possible?

Thanks.

More about : boot computer

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
December 31, 2012 12:02:34 AM

Mister_X said:
Hello everyone,

I think I just screwed up my computer.

First I wanted to dual boot Windows XP and Windows 7. I already had Windows 7, so I installed XP and I was stuck on XP. I used FreeBCD to make the dual boot screen show up. It actually worked on my other computer, but that time I probably didn't choose the right drive letter to boot on (because C: was for System, D: was for XP and E: was for Win7, but I choose C: for XP). So from that everytime I booted up the computer it said that Windows/system32/ntoskrnl.exe was missing or corrupt.

To try to fix that, I used the Repair Console from the XP installation disk. I tried "chkdsk", which said that it found one or more unrecoverable problems. I tried "bootcfg /rebuild" but it didn't work either. So I searched on the net and I stumbled on a site that said to use the "fixboot" and "fixmgr" commands. I didn't really think and I just went straight ahead and did that, and ignored the warnings.

So now the whole drive is screwed up. Everytime I boot up my computer it says "Invalid Partition Table". I tried booting Knoppix from a live CD. It worked, but I could get into the hard drive. I tried installing Windows 7 again, but when it comes to select a partition nothing shows up, and when I click Load Drivers and click on C:, it says that I need to format it. And when I click Ok, it says that it's read-only and that I can't format it.

So now I don't know if I can even use my computer again. I just want to backup all my data on my hard drive and then install everything again. Is that possible?

Thanks.

No need to reinstall just yet. You're throwing so much at the MBR and Partition table of your computer it doesn't know where to go.

Firstly, It's never a good idea to try to dual boot Windows 7 and XP with 7 being the primary boot. It just doesn't play well.
Secondly, Try this HERE first.

Lastly, If that doesn't help, I would recommend creating a Hirens Boot CD and utilize some of the options available to attempt to resolve your issue. There are utilities within that disc that will help you fix the partition tables.
January 1, 2013 12:38:54 AM

Nevermind I just used EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard WinPE to backup all my data on another computer

Thanks for your help anyways :) 
January 1, 2013 12:40:14 AM

Best answer selected by Mister_X.
!