Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Disable Palm DB backup since BackupBuddy already doing it?

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 6:36:18 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

I noticed BB is already backing up all the Palm PIM databases, which
regular hotsync also does.
Is there any way to disable one or the other?

--
_____________________________________________________
For email response, or CC, please mailto:see.my.sig.4.addr(at)bigfoot.com.
Yeah, it's really a real address :) 
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 3:03:01 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

In article <0krtu0tjm3nsdclcj2sb4gic9d24m5umhf@4ax.com>,
see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid wrote:

> I noticed BB is already backing up all the Palm PIM databases, which
> regular hotsync also does.
> Is there any way to disable one or the other?

Am wondering why you would want to. It wouldn't save much time ...
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 7:58:33 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

guy@ether.net (Guy Bannis) wrote in news:guy-1901051603090001@
192.168.1.103:

> Am wondering why you would want to. It wouldn't save much time ...
>
Well, a millisecond here, a millisecond there, and pretty soon you're
talking real time. ;-)

--
Regards,

Stan
Related resources
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 12:11:32 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

In article <0krtu0tjm3nsdclcj2sb4gic9d24m5umhf@4ax.com>,
see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid says...
> I noticed BB is already backing up all the Palm PIM databases, which
> regular hotsync also does.
> Is there any way to disable one or the other?
>
> --
> _____________________________________________________
> For email response, or CC, please mailto:see.my.sig.4.addr(at)bigfoot.com.
> Yeah, it's really a real address :) 
>

Set the system conduit to 'do nothing'

--
Hope this helps.
Jim Anderson
( 8(|) To email me just pull my_finger
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 8:06:18 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 21:11:32 GMT, Jim Anderson
<fro2750@frontiernet.my_finger.net> spewed:
>> I noticed BB is already backing up all the Palm PIM databases, which
>> regular hotsync also does.
>> Is there any way to disable one or the other?
>>
>
>Set the system conduit to 'do nothing'

I guess this is an example of software making choices for you, ala M$.
I want it to sync, and I want it to backup, but I don't want it to double
backup. I just want the apps backed up with BB (and their respective
datafiles) and I do want the PIM databases backed up, just not BB doing it
too. Plus, Palm Desktop backs up the previous version when it synchs too,
so you have one "sequential" backup version, which is better.

--
_____________________________________________________
For email response, or CC, please mailto:see.my.sig.4.addr(at)bigfoot.com.
Yeah, it's really a real address :) 
January 21, 2005 10:32:01 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

<see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid> wrote in message
news:lpu1v0t4hcdk3kmb7u9egeh1ekmru0j64o@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 21:11:32 GMT, Jim Anderson
> <fro2750@frontiernet.my_finger.net> spewed:
>>> I noticed BB is already backing up all the Palm PIM databases, which
>>> regular hotsync also does.
>>> Is there any way to disable one or the other?
>>>
>>
>>Set the system conduit to 'do nothing'
>
> I guess this is an example of software making choices for you, ala M$.
> I want it to sync, and I want it to backup, but I don't want it to double
> backup. I just want the apps backed up with BB (and their respective
> datafiles) and I do want the PIM databases backed up, just not BB doing it
> too. Plus, Palm Desktop backs up the previous version when it synchs too,
> so you have one "sequential" backup version, which is better.

I haven't seen all this thread so apologies if I am off track here.
On my version of backupbuddy (V1.52, not sure if this applies to later
ones), if I launch backupbuddy on the pc I have the option 'backup built-in
databases mapped to conduits' which I have unticked. This is talking about
the datebook, addresses, memo and to-do's and lets you choose whether or not
to allow backupbuddy to back them up. I don't bother as the conduits already
do that but you do have the choice.

Cheers, JL
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 11:21:32 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

In article <lpu1v0t4hcdk3kmb7u9egeh1ekmru0j64o@4ax.com>,
see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid wrote:

> I guess this is an example of software making choices for you, ala M$.
> I want it to sync, and I want it to backup, but I don't want it to double
> backup. I just want the apps backed up with BB (and their respective
> datafiles) and I do want the PIM databases backed up, just not BB doing it
> too. Plus, Palm Desktop backs up the previous version when it synchs too,
> so you have one "sequential" backup version, which is better.

Another way of thinking about backups is that one can never have too many.

Although you describe an efficient approach, I'd also think about what is
involved in restoring from backup. Personally, I would want to do one
complete restore from one source, in this case, BackupBuddy, rather than
piece together part of an install from one place and part from another.

As another poster has said, you do have the choice of controlling what
BackupBuddy backs up so you can do a "partial" backup with it.
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 7:41:12 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Stan Gosnell napsal(a):
> guy@ether.net (Guy Bannis) wrote in news:guy-1901051603090001@
> 192.168.1.103:
>
>
>>Am wondering why you would want to. It wouldn't save much time ...
>>
>
> Well, a millisecond here, a millisecond there, and pretty soon you're
> talking real time. ;-)
>

Yup, disable one and get ready for a disaster :-) I can imagine a dead
disk in my notebook AND flat battery in my T3 at the same time :-)
Without a backup on the SD, I'd be toasted :-)
Mark
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 1:13:24 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Marek Stanìk <marekdotstanek@post.cz> wrote in news:ctgc21$2o4f$14
@ns.felk.cvut.cz:

> Yup, disable one and get ready for a disaster :-) I can imagine a dead
> disk in my notebook AND flat battery in my T3 at the same time :-)
> Without a backup on the SD, I'd be toasted :-)

Or the Palm and the notebook stolen or destroyed at the same time. You
can put the SD in a new Palm and be back in business in a minute. I also
back my SD card up to a CDRW about once a week, and keep that elsewhere,
just in case.

--
Regards,

Stan
!