Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

XP 32 bit on a 64 bit machine to Windows 7 64 bit upgrade

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
April 28, 2010 6:55:37 PM

Running XP 32 bit on a 64 bit machine and purchased Windows 7 upgrade which contains 32 and 64 bit upgrade disks. How do you upgrade to 64 Bit Windows 7 using Windows upgrade software.
a b $ Windows 7
April 28, 2010 7:08:50 PM

You can't upgrade from XP, only from Vista.

Save your files on dvd or external hdd.

Install W7, ignore when it asks for key, continue the install.
Once done, install drivers and activate, it will ask for the key.
Install apps and copy back your files.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
April 29, 2010 5:08:59 PM

shirtpocket said:
Running XP 32 bit on a 64 bit machine and purchased Windows 7 upgrade which contains 32 and 64 bit upgrade disks. How do you upgrade to 64 Bit Windows 7 using Windows upgrade software.


You will need to do a custom installation of Windows 7. This tutorial will show you how to do it - http://bit.ly/bgtjOP. Make sure you back up all programs, files, and settings before upgrading as your system will be wiped clean in the process.

It is also a good idea to run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor before beginning the installation process. It will scan your computer to make sure your computer is ready for Windows 7 and suggest changes (if any) to make before upgrading. http://bit.ly/cJf5OK.

Cheers,
Cassandra
Microsoft Windows Outreach
m
0
l
Related resources
May 9, 2010 4:01:01 PM

shirtpocket said:
Running XP 32 bit on a 64 bit machine and purchased Windows 7 upgrade which contains 32 and 64 bit upgrade disks. How do you upgrade to 64 Bit Windows 7 using Windows upgrade software.


The upgrade wipes XP 32 bit totally and then installs Windows 7 32 Bit. Are you saying that I can upgrade from Vista 32 Bit to Windows 7 64Bit? After all, the question is how do I get from XP 32 bit or Vista 32 Bit to Windows 7 64 bit? Both 32 and 64 bit disks are included in the upgrade package.
m
0
l
May 9, 2010 8:42:09 PM

shirtpocket said:
The upgrade wipes XP 32 bit totally and then installs Windows 7 32 Bit. Are you saying that I can upgrade from Vista 32 Bit to Windows 7 64Bit? After all, the question is how do I get from XP 32 bit or Vista 32 Bit to Windows 7 64 bit? Both 32 and 64 bit disks are included in the upgrade package.


No, you cannot upgrade from a 32 bit OS to a 64 bit one. In order to change from 32 to 64 you'll need to do a fresh installation.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 9, 2010 9:10:14 PM

Shirtpocket,

Due to a drastic difference in architecture, you cannot move from a 32-bit OS to 64-bit.

To learn more about the differences to 32-bit vs. 64-bit architecture, please go here: http://bit.ly/oj1fV

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team
m
0
l
May 9, 2010 9:34:36 PM

flaminggerbil said:
No, you cannot upgrade from a 32 bit OS to a 64 bit one. In order to change from 32 to 64 you'll need to do a fresh installation.



The machine is a 64 bit loaded with 32 bit software. I seek to upgrade to Windows 7 64 bit. XP 32 Bit to Windows 7 64 bit appears to not be doable. Is Vista 32 bit to Windows 7 64 bit doable on a 64 bit machine?
m
0
l
May 9, 2010 9:41:24 PM

shirtpocket said:
The machine is a 64 bit loaded with 32 bit software. I seek to upgrade to Windows 7 64 bit. XP 32 Bit to Windows 7 64 bit appears to not be doable. Is Vista 32 bit to Windows 7 64 bit doable on a 64 bit machine?


As I said before, no it's not. You will have to do a fresh installation of the operating system to switch over to 64.
You cannot upgrade an operating system from 32 to 64 bits, it's just not possible.

A "64 bit machine" just means that you have a CPU capable of supporting a 64 bit architecture.
m
0
l
May 24, 2010 4:52:17 AM

it is possible, as the upgrade from XP to windows 7 (custom Install) wipes ur O/S and puts win7 on,
so i dont see why u cant go XP 32bit to win 7 64bit
vista 32bit to 7 64bit wont work because it upgrades the files it doesnt replace the whole lot!
m
0
l
May 24, 2010 12:23:24 PM

PaiZley said:
it is possible, as the upgrade from XP to windows 7 (custom Install) wipes ur O/S and puts win7 on,
so i dont see why u cant go XP 32bit to win 7 64bit
vista 32bit to 7 64bit wont work because it upgrades the files it doesnt replace the whole lot!



You CANNOT do an upgrade installation from xp to Win7, you have to perform a fresh one.

So as I said before, no, it's not physically possible to upgrade from 32 to 64bit OS's.
m
0
l
May 24, 2010 4:35:22 PM

WR2 said:
What you can do is shrink your XP partition on your hard disk.
Then create a new partition on that hard disk and install Windows 7 there.

As a bonus you'll end up with a dual-boot system.

http://lifehacker.com/5126781/how-to-dual-boot-windows-...
http://www.techspot.com/guides/143-dual-boot-windows7/
http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_windows_xp_and_windo...


The Microsoft Windows 7 Upgrade Package includes both 32 bit and 64 bit disks. Creating a partition to install the 64 bit upgrade did not succeed as it was looking for a 64 bit previous version of Vista. Suggestions?
m
0
l
June 1, 2010 7:12:36 PM

shirtpocket said:
Running XP 32 bit on a 64 bit machine and purchased Windows 7 upgrade which contains 32 and 64 bit upgrade disks. How do you upgrade to 64 Bit Windows 7 using Windows upgrade software.


Running Vista 32 bit on a 64 bit machine and purchased Windows 7 upgrade which contains 32 and 64 bit upgrade disks. How do you upgrade to 64 Bit Windows 7 using Windows upgrade software?
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 2, 2010 3:42:04 AM

flaminggerbil said:
You CANNOT do an upgrade installation from xp to Win7, you have to perform a fresh one.

So as I said before, no, it's not physically possible to upgrade from 32 to 64bit OS's.


This is correct.

Well, you CAN upgrade the OS, but the install must be a clean one. It will NOT upgrade the 32 installation to a 64 bit installation.
m
0
l
!