Sign in with
Your question

Weird bugs and issues with a fresh system? could it be a HDD problem?

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
December 30, 2012 7:26:09 PM

Hi

I decided to completely start a fresh with windows 7 on my system as i was experiencing some problems, crashes, blue screens, etc. Understandable as it hadn't been cleaned up in 2 years, but after i completely re installed windows 7, hoping to fix these problems, but unfortunately all the problems were still there, the computer was back to how responsive it was when i first built it, but the issues had not been fixed.

Issues:

*Programs randomly not launching, it would start to open, then nothing happens.
*Programs randomly close.
*Blue Screens (.aurthx or something).
*10 second freezes approx every 1 min in gaming. (no lag at all other than that).
*Windows media player randomly mutes when playing music then continues (sounds as if it was to be buffering).
*Windows media player crashes when quitting.
*Cubase 5 - frequent 'Disk Cache Overload' errors on playback (never used to get this error with my years of cubase)

I noticed i started getting some of these issues when i had installed a wireless adapter (Netgear WNDA3200, a virgin wireless adapter) but it could have just been a coincidence. There are no new drivers for the adapter. All these issues still occur after a complete re install of windows 7, I'm wondering if it could be a hard drive fault?

System Specs:

*CPU - AMD Phenom ii x6: 3.30GHz
*RAM - 8 GB
*HDD - WD Caviar Green 2 TB (could this drive be the issues, I've read that it's a bad drive)
*GPU - ATI Radeon HD 6850

a c 395 $ Windows 7
December 30, 2012 7:28:41 PM

run chkdsk

Open the "Computer" window
Right-click on the drive in question
Select the "Tools" tab
In the Error-checking area, click <Check Now>.
a b $ Windows 7
December 30, 2012 7:48:11 PM

Hi :) 

Run a hard drive test in DOS...HIRENS CD etc, it sounds like a failing hard drive...

All the best Brett :) 
December 30, 2012 8:03:48 PM

Have you updated bios or chip set drivers?
-Bruce
a b $ Windows 7
December 30, 2012 8:21:39 PM

Sounds like a bad HDD to me.
December 30, 2012 8:47:27 PM

Go in BIOS, and try to increase the ram voltage a notch or 2 over the recommended RAM voltage. It often happen if you have more than 2 memory stick or if the PSU is weakening over time. Do that first then test your memory with memtest86. Once you'll be certain that the RAM is not corrupting anything, then test the HDD.

On installation, since not all drivers are loaded, the system is less demanding on the PSU. Once fully installed, and the 3d card asking for power, things can become trouublesome for the CPU, failing to deliver stable voltage to needed parts, even the HDD. That's why Windows can install, but things get worst after.

So, if increasing voltage helps a bit, and things start to work as they should, I would think about getting another PSU.

I had the same problem when I added some HDD to an already loaded system. Windows would install but after, everythings started to get messy. I got the PSU clue when I notice that it would whine when I actually started to move larges files from one HDD to another.
!