Best configuration for SSDs and HHD

cfcgreg

Honorable
Jun 3, 2012
Hello,
what is the best way to combine two SSDs and an HHD in a i5 system? P8Z77-v Deluxe, 16 GB 2100 Ram, i5 3.4, Seagate Barracuda 500GB, Windows 7 Ultimate. Want to buy either 2 Samsung 840 120 GB or 2 Samsung 840 240 GB.

Solution
Of course a single SSD+HDD solution would be better, but that wasn't your question. Adding a properly configured SSD to your system will provide a huge jump in performance.

Have fun!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
For best performance, put the 2 matching SSDs in RAID0, and install Windows. After Windows is fully installed, install the HDD and use as your storage location for documents and for applications you don't install on the SSDs. Only install apps to the SSD that you want to maximize the speed of (like select games).

ashiataka

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
Well that's shockingly poor advice...

Remember that TRIM isn't supported in RAID so if you raid your SSDs together then expect your performance to deteriorate significantly within a few weeks.

Get a single Samsung 240, install windows.
Connect up the HDD and then using junctions remap users, windows update, prefetch folders to the hdd, along with the temp folder. Disable system restore and hibernation. Change registry settings for preftech from 3 to 2 and enable prefetch service.

LOads of hints and tips on net.

depending on mobo and revision of software then yes trim is supported in raid

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Nearly all modern motherboard SATA controllers support TRIM in RAID mode, as does the controllers on the OP's Asus motherboard.

cfcgreg

Honorable
Jun 3, 2012
The single 240 SSD coupled with the HDD sounds like it would be simpler to do and give a performance advantage over the long term with my system. Thanks to all!

ant247

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
Sorry to butt in guys but I need similar help.

I have no experience with Raid and I want to link 1x64Gb SSD and 1x1Tb HDD but don't know what raid config to use.

Also, how do I do this ?
Connect up the HDD and then using junctions remap users, windows update, prefetch folders to the hdd, along with the temp folder. Disable system restore and hibernation.

And what does his mean ?
Change registry settings for preftech from 3 to 2 and enable prefetch service.

My system consists of :-

Asus P8Z68-V LX mobo
Intel i5 2600k cpu
Corsair H80 Liquid Cooler
Corsair TX750w psu
16Gb DDR3 1600 Corsair Vengence Blue ram
Crucial M4 64Gb SSD
Seagate Barracuda 1Tb 7200rpm sATA 3 HDD
2xSapphire Radeon HD6870 gpu (Crossfired)

I also have a question about USB 3, can someone tell me what forum I should put this in ?

Thanx guys and sorry for bumpin this thread.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Hijacking a thread is against forum rules. Yours is a different problem. Start a new thread. Also, check this link for how to configure:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/248828/how_to_setup_intel_smart_response_ssd_caching_technology.html

cfcgreg

Honorable
Jun 3, 2012

You are correct! That was not my original question but your answer told me that I would be getting into a more complex configuration than I am knowledgeable enough to manage. The answer for a novice like me, (even though I have built my own computers in the past) is to is to stick with one SSD (this is my first SSD) until I know more. Your answer deserves my Best answer thumbs up! Thank you, again!

COLGeek

Cybernaut

You are most welcome. All of my SSD rigs are 1 SSD + 1 HDD for the same reason. Just keeps it easier to work with.

Enjoy!