Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 crashing

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
December 30, 2012 8:27:36 PM

My brother just bought a brand new Acer aspire M ultrabook and has been mentioning that it has been crashing. I took a look at it and first noticed that just about all of the windows updates have failed. every time after boot and logging in, after about a minute or so I lose my desktop icons and start bar and all I have the the background. then after about 2 minutes of that screen I recieve an error message.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
AcerVCM.exe - Application error
The instruction at 0x0000000075EE36EA referenced memory at
0x0000000075EE36EA. The required data was not placed into memory
because of an I/O error status 0xc000000e.

Click on OK to terminate this program

After I click ok I get this message

The excetpion unknown software exception (0xc015000f) occured in
the application at location 0x77074621

click ok to terminate this message

After I click on on that, all I see is the desktop background and it just sits like that as far as I know

thanks! if anyone could help

More about : windows crashing

a b $ Windows 7
December 30, 2012 9:48:01 PM

Hi :) 

Run a hard drive test in DOS...HIRENS CD etc, it sounds like a failing hard drive...

All the best Brett :) 
a b $ Windows 7
December 30, 2012 10:42:23 PM

plaudium said:
My brother just bought a brand new Acer aspire M ultrabook and has been mentioning that it has been crashing. I took a look at it and first noticed that just about all of the windows updates have failed. every time after boot and logging in, after about a minute or so I lose my desktop icons and start bar and all I have the the background. then after about 2 minutes of that screen I recieve an error message.
AcerVCM.exe - Application error
The instruction at 0x0000000075EE36EA referenced memory at
0x0000000075EE36EA. The required data was not placed into memory
because of an I/O error status 0xc000000e.

Click on OK to terminate this program

After I click ok I get this message

The excetpion unknown software exception (0xc015000f) occured in
the application at location 0x77074621

click ok to terminate this message

After I click on on that, all I see is the desktop background and it just sits like that as far as I know

thanks! if anyone could help

HERE is what the program is that you're getting the error on.

Quote:

What is acervcm.exe doing on my computer?
acervcm.exe is a Acer VCM from Acer belonging to Voice Connection Manager Non-system processes like acervcm.exe originate from software you installed on your system. Since most applications store data in your system's registry, it is likely that your registry has suffered fragmentation and accumulated invalid entries which can affect your PC's performance. It is recommended that you check your registry to identify slowdown issues.

When you lose the desktop icons and start menu, are you able to go into Task Manager and restart explorer.exe and them come back or do they stay gone?

If they do or don't come back, either way, go into MSConfig and disable that file from loading when Windows does.

I would recommend using Autoruns to disable it as it does a bit more thorough job..

Related resources
December 31, 2012 10:48:45 PM

Well after I booted, I got a BSOD a minute or so after logging in and now when I turn the laptop on it is asking me to insert a disk into the boot drive. I then went into the bios under boot priority and it didn't list my HDD as being there. I am assuming hard drive failure maybe?
a b $ Windows 7
December 31, 2012 11:37:18 PM

Is there any other external devices such as a hard drive, thumb drive, or even a printer with a card reader plugged into the computer currently?

If so, remove all those things except for the keyboard, mouse, power cord, and monitor cable and try again. Also be sure the monitor you're using doesn't have USB ports on it.
January 1, 2013 12:39:11 AM

Nothing was or is connected to it other than a Logitech wireless mouse USB. It is also not plugged into a minister.
a b $ Windows 7
January 1, 2013 12:45:29 AM

plaudium said:
Nothing was or is connected to it other than a Logitech wireless mouse USB. It is also not plugged into a minister.

I would recommend doing as Brett recommended.

I would recommend creating a Hirens Boot CD and utilize some of the options available to attempt to resolve your issue. Throw some HDD diagnostics at it and see if anything turns up. If it comes back clean, let us know and we can see what else can be done :) 

January 4, 2013 3:21:37 AM

I apologize for taking so long to reply. My brother went ahead took the laptop to a local PC repair store and they ran some tests on it. They concluded that the HDD was faulty. I contacted Newegg and they have agreed to replace the whole laptop.

Thank you guys for the help and advice!
!