Dimension 8400 CD drive *loud*

Just got my 8400 yesterday and I have to say that the CD-RW drive sounds
like a jet engine when it is being used. It's *much* louder than my old
desktop's CD-RW drive. Is this normal with the CD drives Dell uses? It
works fine, just very loud.

Dave
--
We are the US military. Your asses will be kicked. Resistance is futile.

US Army Signal Corps!
www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

Is it a Lite-On drive? They tend to be noisy.

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 07:46:58 -0400, Edward J. Neth wrote:

> Is it a Lite-On drive? They tend to be noisy.

It's a Sony. I think I'll just replace it with the Samsung CD-RW 52x drive
from my old desktop. I liked the Nero software it came with better than
the Sonic junk on the Dell. :)

Dave
--

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 09:26:07 -0600, David Casey wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 07:46:58 -0400, Edward J. Neth wrote:
>
>> Is it a Lite-On drive? They tend to be noisy.
>
> It's a Sony. I think I'll just replace it with the Samsung CD-RW 52x drive
> from my old desktop. I liked the Nero software it came with better than
> the Sonic junk on the Dell. :)

Do you follow me to *every* newsgroup I inhabit?... <g>

BTW, what prompted the buy instead of another build?

-Jeff B.
yeff at erols dot com

"David Casey" <sgtcasey@IH8SPAMcableone.net> wrote in message
> Just got my 8400 yesterday and I have to say that the CD-RW drive sounds
> like a jet engine when it is being used. It's *much* louder than my old
> desktop's CD-RW drive. Is this normal with the CD drives Dell uses? It
> works fine, just very loud.
>
> Dave
> --

<snip>

I assume you're correct in putting the noise on the optical drive.
Hopefully, you'll not experience the CPU fan at maximum RPMs. The amount of
air and noise generated is significant coming from a (normal quiet) Dell.

Stew

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 20:26:07 -0500, S.Lewis wrote:

>> Just got my 8400 yesterday and I have to say that the CD-RW drive sounds
>> like a jet engine when it is being used. It's *much* louder than my old
>> desktop's CD-RW drive. Is this normal with the CD drives Dell uses? It
>> works fine, just very loud.
>
> I assume you're correct in putting the noise on the optical drive.
> Hopefully, you'll not experience the CPU fan at maximum RPMs. The amount of
> air and noise generated is significant coming from a (normal quiet) Dell.

Oh yeah, it's the CD-RW drive. The computer itself is actually pretty
quiet compared to my last desktop which has 1 120mm fan, 1 80mm CPU fan, 2
80mm case fans, and 2 fans on the power supply.

The only time the CD-RW makes noise is when it spins up and is reading a
CD. You surely know when the CD-RW drive is working. I'm just going to
replace it with the Samsung CD-RW drive from my old computer. It's whisper
quiet.

Dave
--

In article <kiyz1lztotuh$.dlg@sgtcaseycableone.net>,
sgtcasey@IH8SPAMcableone.net (David Casey) says...

> Just got my 8400 yesterday and I have to say that the CD-RW drive sounds
> like a jet engine when it is being used. It's *much* louder than my old
> desktop's CD-RW drive. Is this normal with the CD drives Dell uses? It
> works fine, just very loud.

Yeah, the Sony CD-RW that Dell installs makes a real racket.

--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc