Sign in with
Your question

Lenovo IdeaPad Z585 not booting Windows 7

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
December 30, 2012 10:24:57 PM

I recently left my laptop charging in sleep mode for about 10 hours, and then opened it to see a bluescreen. I shut it off and tried to start it up, and got a black screen after a short loading bar. It then gave me the option to repair, but after seeing "Loading Files," I got another black screen, sometimes with a mouse pointer, but nothing else. The same happens after trying to load Windows normally.

Eventually I figured out that if I leave the screen on the black repair screen for a while, it will progress to the blue-ish background screen shown at the login, but the square that you click on to select my account doesn't appear, and my pointer is in a weird resolution. I can't progress beyond this screen.

Last night, I was getting some weird freezes when I plugged in the charge cord, where the display would lock up for a few seconds after plugging the laptop in. Also, a few days ago, my computer started running really slowly and overheating, and eventually crashed with a shutdown. It crashed when I tried to start it again, but the second time, I ran it in repair mode and I was able to start up without issue.

I've tried a number of things, but there appears to be no problems with the memory.

Any help?
a b $ Windows 7
December 30, 2012 10:36:47 PM

eamojoe said:
I recently left my laptop charging in sleep mode for about 10 hours, and then opened it to see a bluescreen. I shut it off and tried to start it up, and got a black screen after a short loading bar. It then gave me the option to repair, but after seeing "Loading Files," I got another black screen, sometimes with a mouse pointer, but nothing else. The same happens after trying to load Windows normally.

Eventually I figured out that if I leave the screen on the black repair screen for a while, it will progress to the blue-ish background screen shown at the login, but the square that you click on to select my account doesn't appear, and my pointer is in a weird resolution. I can't progress beyond this screen.

Last night, I was getting some weird freezes when I plugged in the charge cord, where the display would lock up for a few seconds after plugging the laptop in. Also, a few days ago, my computer started running really slowly and overheating, and eventually crashed with a shutdown. It crashed when I tried to start it again, but the second time, I ran it in repair mode and I was able to start up without issue.

I've tried a number of things, but there appears to be no problems with the memory.

Any help?

Doesn't sound like its an OS related issue if it was overheating and shutting itself down. You would normally need to open a thread under Hardware but if it's under warranty with Lenovo (IBM) it would be time to give them a call as something is definitely amiss.
m
l
December 30, 2012 10:42:10 PM

hedwar2011 said:
Doesn't sound like its an OS related issue if it was overheating and shutting itself down. You would normally need to open a thread under Hardware but if it's under warranty with Lenovo (IBM) it would be time to give them a call as something is definitely amiss.

The second part was just to provide context, that was fixed a few days ago. No overheating or mandatory shutdowns occurred this time, just a blue screen and boot problems.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
December 30, 2012 10:43:29 PM

eamojoe said:
The second part was just to provide context, that was fixed a few days ago. No overheating or mandatory shutdowns occurred this time, just a blue screen and boot problems.

Are you able to boot into Safe Mode (any variant is fine)?
m
l
December 30, 2012 10:46:50 PM

hedwar2011 said:
Are you able to boot into Safe Mode (any variant is fine)?

Only with advanced boot options on the startup. But when I actually load it, it just freezes up with a black screen.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 30, 2012 10:51:46 PM

With you not getting the overheating issues anymore (thanks for clarification btw) you may need to reinstall the OS if the repair has failed (hence the black screen).

You should be able to do it through oneKey recovery.
m
l
!