Windows 7 install problem with external dvd drive.

i am trying to install windows 7 using an external dvd rom drive, windows 7 asks for a device driver so that it can access the rest of the files to install. when i put the device driver disk in it is not recognized or displayed. i have put other disks disks into the external dvd drive too see if it works and nothing comes up. obviously the drive is working because i have started the windows installation and got to the bit where windows is asking me for the drivers but i can go no further

can you help me? what can i do?

this is on my new pc and i just started it up about an hour ago.
4 answers Last reply
More about windows install problem external drive
  1. samraptor said:
    i am trying to install windows 7 using an external dvd rom drive, windows 7 asks for a device driver so that it can access the rest of the files to install. when i put the device driver disk in it is not recognized or displayed. i have put other disks disks into the external dvd drive too see if it works and nothing comes up. obviously the drive is working because i have started the windows installation and got to the bit where windows is asking me for the drivers but i can go no further

can you help me? what can i do?

this is on my new pc and i just started it up about an hour ago.

Attempt to install it from a USB Drive instead. Much easier and less need to load drivers.

HERE is some info on how to do it.
  2. i tried all of the steps in the link but it didnt work :/ what else can i do
  3. samraptor said:
    i tried all of the steps in the link but it didnt work :/ what else can i do

Go into the BIOS and make sure that USB emulation is enabled (if option is there). Some newer computers do not have the option enabled by default.

If it's asking you for a driver disk, it is either A. Not being installed from outside Windows by booting to the CD or B. the media you are using is no good.

I'm going to look into it a bit further to see if anything else pops out at me :)

UPDATE:
    What type of version of Windows is this? I noticed that this is a custom built PC.

You can find more information in regards to the different versions of Windows 7 HERE.
  4. dont worry about it, i got my dad to help me out and he managed to do it i was watching him the whole time to see if he did anything different, he didnt... i think just got unlucky or misspell something.
    thanks for the help my computer is working fine now :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Drivers Windows 7 Device Driver DVD Drives