Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller

Ed Hunter

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
When I enter device manager I see the Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller with an orange explanation mark next to it. I need to get drivers for it where can I get them from (windows could not get any). Also im on my newly buily gaming pc on windows professional 64 bit :)

What is the make/model of your motherboard? As killerhurtalot (nice name :) ) recommended you typically can get them from the vendors website if not on the disc that came with it (which is typical).

Are you using Windows 7 or Windows 8? I'm going to guess that is an XHCI controller (USB 3.0)

Windows 7 does not come with native drivers for common USB 3.0 controllers, Windows 8 does.

You will need to take a look at your motherboard specifications to see which chip it is. Common USB 3.0 add-in controller manufacturers are NEC and ASMedia. Find out if it is one of those chips and if so, google for the drivers. Intel 7 series chipsets (excluding X79) have native USB 3.0 (not add-in) as well so you will have to get these drivers from Intel's website.

THIS.
Go to the MOTHERBOARD support site for your EXACT model:
For your version of Windows then, download and install:

1) the main CHIPSET driver (don't worry if it's not an update; possibly called "Intel INF")
2) any USB drivers you see