Support for a SATA Plextor Drive

Hi
I was looking at Plextor DVD burners on the web, and noticed they have a new
712 - SA burner. How would you hook this drive up using a SATA cable,than a
IDE cable? I know you would need a computer with a SATA controller on the
motherboard. I am just interested in the technology behind this burner.
Carolyn
2 answers Last reply
More about support sata plextor drive

    "Molly" <ctalia4000@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > I was looking at Plextor DVD burners on the web, and noticed they have a
    new
    > 712 - SA burner. How would you hook this drive up using a SATA cable,than
    > IDE cable? I know you would need a computer with a SATA controller on the
    > motherboard. I am just interested in the technology behind this burner.
    > Carolyn

    IDE cable wouldn't be needed. SATA cable and power cable only. Don't
    necessarily need a SATA controller either. Some MOBOs have onboard SATA (my
    Dim8300 does). This is assuming all existing SATA channels aren't occupied.
    If this were the case, it would require an additional controller card or
    moving an existing SATA device to an IDE channel if alternate device cabling
    options exist.

    http://www.plextor.com/english/support/manuals/manuals.html

    Thanks

    "lynnr" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message

    > "Molly" <ctalia4000@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > Hi
    > > I was looking at Plextor DVD burners on the web, and noticed they have a
    > new
    > > 712 - SA burner. How would you hook this drive up using a SATA
    cable,than
    > > IDE cable? I know you would need a computer with a SATA controller on
    the
    > > motherboard. I am just interested in the technology behind this burner.
    > > Carolyn
    > >

    > IDE cable wouldn't be needed. SATA cable and power cable only. Don't
    > necessarily need a SATA controller either. Some MOBOs have onboard SATA
    (my
    > Dim8300 does). This is assuming all existing SATA channels aren't
    occupied.
    > If this were the case, it would require an additional controller card or
    > moving an existing SATA device to an IDE channel if alternate device
    cabling
    > options exist.
    >
    > http://www.plextor.com/english/support/manuals/manuals.html

Dell SATA Burner Plextor Computers