266 mhz FSB athlons

G

Has anyone seen any athlons available with the new FSB speed of 266mhz? To my understanding on the AMD760 boards that are available you can only use PC1600 DDR RAM with the present athlon (200mhz FSB). The new athlon with 266 mhz FSB will require that you use the PC2100 DDR. Am I correct in this assumption? If I am correct and none of the new athlons are available why are people buying the DDR boards? Without the new athlon one is limited to the PC1600 RAM. I hope this saves some people some trouble when ordering DDR RAM for that shiny new board (that is if I am correct). I am anxiously awaiting a new system but want to soak in all the information before I buy. The 400mhz Celeron just cant hack it any more! Thank you in advance for your replies. By the way this is my first post. Thanks Tom for such a great site!

yoda271828

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
In a bunch of reviews I read, the reference boards tested wouldn't run at 200Mhz FSB at all, but the current (200Mhz) Athlon chips were overclocked to run at 266Mhz FSB with a lowered multiplier. This 'no 200Mhz' error was supposed to be fixed for the final release of the boards though.

G

I have also seen these processors at this website www.axissys.com , and better prices than micronpc.com.

Jackhole

G

Thank you all for the responses. Has anyone seen just the chip for sale? If i am going to give parts of my old system to my brother I need to have the chip by christmas. What are my chances?

G

Sorry, but I beleive that's incorrect. The 760's bus is like the 440Bbx's, it is exactly equal to the memory speed. It's because Unlike Via's chipsets, that the bus and memory can run asynchrounsly from each other, the 760 has to be run snychrounsly.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Putts335 on 12/12/00 10:38 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

mpjesse

Splendid
Dude, I am running an AMD T-bird 800mhz (overclocked to 950) on a 200mhz FSB with PC2100 memory. I am not wrong. What more can I say. If you read ANY specifications on any of the 760 boards available they state: AMD Thunderbird 700mhz- 1.2ghz on a 200mhz FSB.. here's the link: http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/products/7dxc.htm
I HAVE THIS BOARD. Now, there was a small problem with the original BIOS not letting the board use 200mhz FSB processor- but micron fixed it with a BIOS update.

-MP Jesse