PC2700 memory in a Dimension 8400?

I have 512MB of memory in my Dimension 8400 right now in 2-256MB modules.
Would I be able to use a 1GB PC2700 module from my old desktop in the 8400?

Dave
--
We are the US military. Your asses will be kicked. Resistance is futile.

US Army Signal Corps!
www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

It really depends on how fast the memory makers are zipping through the chip
designs today. My two-year-old Dimension 2300 uses the now archaic PC 133
memory. PC 100 and 133 users were fortunate in that the planned replacement
(I think it was rdram) turned out to be a flop, which extended the life of
sdram for a year or two.

Paul Riemerman

"David Casey" <sgtcasey@IH8SPAMcableone.net> wrote in message
>I have 512MB of memory in my Dimension 8400 right now in 2-256MB modules.
> Would I be able to use a 1GB PC2700 module from my old desktop in the
> 8400?
>
> Dave
> --
> We are the US military. Your asses will be kicked. Resistance is futile.
>
> US Army Signal Corps!
> www.geocities.com/davidcasey98
>
> Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

Molly

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2004

Here is a site to purchase memory
http://www.4allmemory.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=search.memorySearch&model_id=-4780
Carolyn
"David Casey" <sgtcasey@IH8SPAMcableone.net> wrote in message
> I have 512MB of memory in my Dimension 8400 right now in 2-256MB modules.
> Would I be able to use a 1GB PC2700 module from my old desktop in the
8400?

> Dave
> --
> We are the US military. Your asses will be kicked. Resistance is futile.
>
> US Army Signal Corps!
> www.geocities.com/davidcasey98
>
> Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

the dimension 8400 supports dual channel memory for faster access. dual
channel requires like memory to be installed in like pairs. you can install
single modules but the best performance is achieved when installing like
pairs. the 8400 take pc3200 or pc4200. you could try your pc2700 module,
but it would probably not work... or if it did work it would be at the
slower speed of 333mhz instead of 400mhz of the pc3200 memory.
http://www.upgradingandrepairingpcs.com/articles/upgrade12_02_02.asp

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 17:22:25 GMT, Christopher Muto wrote:

> the dimension 8400 supports dual channel memory for faster access. dual
> channel requires like memory to be installed in like pairs. you can install
> single modules but the best performance is achieved when installing like
> pairs. the 8400 take pc3200 or pc4200. you could try your pc2700 module,
> but it would probably not work... or if it did work it would be at the
> slower speed of 333mhz instead of 400mhz of the pc3200 memory.
> http://www.upgradingandrepairingpcs.com/articles/upgrade12_02_02.asp

That's about what I thought. I'll give it a try and see what happens. I'm
not trying to squeeze every ounce of performance out of this that I can
(yet) so giving up a little memory speed for more memory would be worth it.

Dave
--
We are the US military. Your asses will be kicked. Resistance is futile.

US Army Signal Corps!
www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

i take back my remark that it probably would not work... it probably will
work, but at the slower speed of course... it would probably drag down the
performance of the other modules in the process. try it and let us know
your results.

> the dimension 8400 supports dual channel memory for faster access. dual
> channel requires like memory to be installed in like pairs. you can
install
> single modules but the best performance is achieved when installing like
> pairs. the 8400 take pc3200 or pc4200. you could try your pc2700 module,
> but it would probably not work... or if it did work it would be at the
> slower speed of 333mhz instead of 400mhz of the pc3200 memory.
> http://www.upgradingandrepairingpcs.com/articles/upgrade12_02_02.asp
>
> "David Casey" <sgtcasey@IH8SPAMcableone.net> wrote in message
> > I have 512MB of memory in my Dimension 8400 right now in 2-256MB
modules.
> > Would I be able to use a 1GB PC2700 module from my old desktop in the
> 8400?
> >
> > Dave
> > --
> > We are the US military. Your asses will be kicked. Resistance is
futile.

> > US Army Signal Corps!
> > www.geocities.com/davidcasey98
> >
> > Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

"David Casey" <sgtcasey@IH8SPAMcableone.net> wrote in message
>I have 512MB of memory in my Dimension 8400 right now in 2-256MB modules.
> Would I be able to use a 1GB PC2700 module from my old desktop in the
> 8400?
>
> Dave
> --
> We are the US military. Your asses will be kicked. Resistance is futile.
>
> US Army Signal Corps!
> www.geocities.com/davidcasey98
>
> Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

No. It physically will not fit in the DIMM socket. DDR2 is keyed
differently than PC2100/2700/3200 DIMMs released prior.

Sorry.

Stew

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 18:57:27 -0500, S.Lewis wrote:

> No. It physically will not fit in the DIMM socket. DDR2 is keyed
> differently than PC2100/2700/3200 DIMMs released prior.
>
> Sorry.

Thanks! I hadn't gotten so far as to actually open up the system yet and
see what I could work out.

Dave
--

> On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 18:57:27 -0500, S.Lewis wrote:
>
>> No. It physically will not fit in the DIMM socket. DDR2 is keyed
>> differently than PC2100/2700/3200 DIMMs released prior.
>>
>> Sorry.
>
> Thanks! I hadn't gotten so far as to actually open up the system yet and
> see what I could work out.
>
> Dave
> --
> We are the US military. Your asses will be kicked. Resistance is futile.
>
> US Army Signal Corps!
> www.geocities.com/davidcasey98
>
> Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

You're welcome. Get a load of the Prescott (passive) heatsink while you're
in there. It's massive.

thanks for pointing this out and correcting my misinformation. pc2100,
pc2700, and pc3200 are 184 pin dimms. but pc2-3200, pc2-4200, pc2-5300 are
240 pin. and right you are, the dimension 8400 uses pc2 type modules, and
that means the pc2700 will not physically fit into the dimension 8400.

> thanks for pointing this out and correcting my misinformation. pc2100,
> pc2700, and pc3200 are 184 pin dimms. but pc2-3200, pc2-4200, pc2-5300
> are
> 240 pin. and right you are, the dimension 8400 uses pc2 type modules, and
> that means the pc2700 will not physically fit into the dimension 8400.

No biggie, Chris. This new board (and system) is a fairly radical change
and there are more than a few oddities regarding it that confuse me. It's
going to take me some time to get used to all of the changes, and there are
plenty.

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Any idea how much "real life" difference there is between 333MHz
and 400MHz memory? Say on a 3.0 GHz processor, 800MHz FSB, all
else being equal, performing a computationally intensive task,
would the later machine perform anywhere near 400/333 ~ 1.2 = 20%
faster? Just wondering. Steve

> the dimension 8400 supports dual channel memory for faster
access. dual
> channel requires like memory to be installed in like pairs. you
can install
> single modules but the best performance is achieved when
installing like
> pairs. the 8400 take pc3200 or pc4200. you could try your
pc2700 module,
> but it would probably not work... or if it did work it would be
at the
> slower speed of 333mhz instead of 400mhz of the pc3200 memory.

http://www.upgradingandrepairingpcs.com/articles/upgrade12_02_02.asp

The real life difference between 333MHz and 400MHz memory is beside the
point. If you don't use components that were designed for each other, sooner
or later you'll run into some freaky error message.

As for the difference in speed, it's not as simple as "400/333 ~ 1.2 = 20%
faster". I wish it was that simple! There are many factors that affect the
speed of a computer at any time, including what kind of processing it's
being called upon to perform. I am a recovering Tom's Hardware Guide addict
so I know that individual benchmarks are often meaningless in isolation.
--
Ted Zieglar
formerly "Rocket J. Squirrel"

"Steve" <crunkNO@SPAMmath.sjsu.edu> wrote in message
> Any idea how much "real life" difference there is between 333MHz
> and 400MHz memory? Say on a 3.0 GHz processor, 800MHz FSB, all
> else being equal, performing a computationally intensive task,
> would the later machine perform anywhere near 400/333 ~ 1.2 = 20%
> faster? Just wondering. Steve
>
> "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> > the dimension 8400 supports dual channel memory for faster
> access. dual
> > channel requires like memory to be installed in like pairs. you
> can install
> > single modules but the best performance is achieved when
> installing like
> > pairs. the 8400 take pc3200 or pc4200. you could try your
> pc2700 module,
> > but it would probably not work... or if it did work it would be
> at the
> > slower speed of 333mhz instead of 400mhz of the pc3200 memory.
> >
> http://www.upgradingandrepairingpcs.com/articles/upgrade12_02_02.asp

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Ah yes, Ted, I agree with all of your points. Perhaps I
originally should have started a new thread, but since the topic
of differences in speed came up here I thought I would ask. I was
just wondering if in a new Dell, the difference in going from 333
to 400 was worth much (It seems that you can only get 400 MHz
memory in packages that include a lot of other stuff that I am not
interested in). I also realize that it's not as simple as
"400/333 ~ 1.2 = 20% faster", thus the part of my note that asked
if the change in performance was anywhere near 20%. This would be
a theoretically upper bound, and I was wondering if there are any
circumstances where the difference approaches this upper bound.
Any thoughts on how much improvement going from 333MHz to 400 MHz
memory provides in computationally intensive work with large data
sets would be appreciated. TIA Steve

> Ah yes, Ted, I agree with all of your points. Perhaps I
> originally should have started a new thread, but since the topic
> of differences in speed came up here I thought I would ask. I was
> just wondering if in a new Dell, the difference in going from 333
> to 400 was worth much (It seems that you can only get 400 MHz
> memory in packages that include a lot of other stuff that I am not
> interested in). I also realize that it's not as simple as
> "400/333 ~ 1.2 = 20% faster", thus the part of my note that asked
> if the change in performance was anywhere near 20%. This would be
> a theoretically upper bound, and I was wondering if there are any
> circumstances where the difference approaches this upper bound.
> Any thoughts on how much improvement going from 333MHz to 400 MHz
> memory provides in computationally intensive work with large data
> sets would be appreciated. TIA Steve

<snip>

I believe if you approach the increase in terms of bandwidth it might
provide your answer:

http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/DDR-SDRAM

Stew

I have two SATA drives in my new Dimension 8400. Nero drive info shows DMA
on for SATA 1 (Hitachi 80GB) and DMA off for SATA 2 (WD 160GB).

How many SATA drives do you have in your Stew? Are they both DMA on? Can't
find anything about changing it on a SATA drive. Nothing in the Intel
Application Accelerator that I can find. Any ideas?

>I have two SATA drives in my new Dimension 8400. Nero drive info shows DMA
>on for SATA 1 (Hitachi 80GB) and DMA off for SATA 2 (WD 160GB).
>
> How many SATA drives do you have in your Stew? Are they both DMA on?
> Can't find anything about changing it on a SATA drive. Nothing in the
> Intel Application Accelerator that I can find. Any ideas?

<snip>

WSZsr,

I don't own the 8400, I've only touched a few of them. Love to have one
though to play with.

Before I installed the Intel AA, I think I'd have a deep look into both BIOS
and then XP device manager under the SATA controller or drive options. Since
I don't use SATA here at home, I haven't spent much time (yet) reading up
(on the web) about device manager options for those drives. If it's similar
to PATA/IDE drives, then there may be a dropdown allowing to alter the
settings (with which you're well familiar, I know).

If I couldn't adjust in BIOS or in DM, then I'd have a look at the IAA after
reading up on the web. It could be that this is a default setting for your
drives for some reason of which I don't have a clue :)

Post back with what you find.

Stew