Sign in with
Your question

Laptop Help Needed

Tags:
Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
November 3, 2010 2:26:01 PM

I have a Dell Studio 1458 that was custom built. The specs are Intel i5 M430 @ 2.27Ghz 4Gb Memory 500Gb HD Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit now with that out of the way here we go. I am in the IT Support field and have never run across anything like this before and am kind of stumped although I have my theories. Just about a week to two weeks ago my laptop started slowing down till it would almost freeze after an hour to two hours of use and when I would go to restart it would hang on the shutting down screen forever so I would have to hard boot it. After a restart everything would be fine again for an hour or two. Now I have done some research and have done a few things but it continues. I also have a desktop that started doing the same thing and thought maybe it was an issue with google chrome, it was not. Then I remembered that I had just recently upgraded my Spyware Doctor with Anti-Virus and found out that a new module with that update is causing this exact problem so I think to myself cool I've got it all figured out removed it from both computers and thought all was well. The desktop is still working just fine but the laptop started doing it all over again. Then I started getting this wonderful Dell message that the AC Adapter is not the correct one, after researching that I found out Dell AC Adapters are faulty and fry on a regular basis and that can cause a laptop to slow down etc, so I got a replacement adapter that is working just fine but yet again still having the same problem. I thought maybe it was a cooling issue cause it did seem to be running a little hot so I took it apart and cleaned everything, and yes you guessed it, still the same problem. The only thing I can think of now is maybe a memory issue but I did a memtest for over 12 hours with no errors or fails. Of course I have done the usual clean up the registry, temp files, cookies, etc... I have also done at least three fresh installs and still keep having the same exact issue, so at this point I am just stumped. Hopefully someone can shed some light on this for me, maybe something I missed. Thanks in advance.

More about : laptop needed

a b D Laptop
November 4, 2010 3:32:31 AM

Very strange indeed. If you have tested the memory, bought a new power supply, numerous fresh installs, etc..., it would seem that it could be an issue with the motherboard or perhaps the hard drive- just about the only things left that could be the culprits. If you have any spare hard drives laying around for a laptop, try that out and see if that cures the issue. If not, I'd start suspecting the motherboard.
November 4, 2010 5:42:44 AM

buwish said:
Very strange indeed. If you have tested the memory, bought a new power supply, numerous fresh installs, etc..., it would seem that it could be an issue with the motherboard or perhaps the hard drive- just about the only things left that could be the culprits. If you have any spare hard drives laying around for a laptop, try that out and see if that cures the issue. If not, I'd start suspecting the motherboard.

I forgot to mention I also tested the motherboard and the hard drive. To me the only logical explanation at this point would have to be the memory since after a restart the computer runs just fine whether it passed memtest or not there may be a leak or something preventing the memory from being released but after a restart it forces the memory to clear and be used again. Just for a test I decided to completely remove spyware doctor and see if using the previous version takes care of everything. So far I have been using my laptop off and on all day with no issues so I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed. Thanks for your input.
a b D Laptop
November 5, 2010 1:21:34 AM

I guess we'll see what happens. Perhaps it was an issue with SWD.
!