Sign in with
Your question

Narrowing it down

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
November 3, 2010 5:48:05 PM

I'm trying to decide between a few laptops. I'm mainly going to use this as a surf the net, pay bills, watch movies. I am not expecting to run graphic intensive programs or games...but I am looking for a responsive, reliable and fast machine.

1.) ASUS UL20 A1. Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 250GB. $575

2.) ASUS P50IJ-X3. intel pentium duel core, 4GB DDR2, 320GB. $550

3.) DELL Studio 15. i5-460M, 4GB DDR3, 500GB. $710 (w/ company discount)

I have very little experience with laptops. Are ASUS and DELL similar in build quality? The DELL seems to have a much more current setup but is still relatively cheap...but would either of the two ASUS' (ASI ?) fit my needs? Let me know what you think and if there is something i have overlooked.

Thanks

More about : narrowing

a b D Laptop
November 3, 2010 6:20:48 PM

striper1 said:
I'm trying to decide between a few laptops. I'm mainly going to use this as a surf the net, pay bills, watch movies. I am not expecting to run graphic intensive programs or games...but I am looking for a responsive, reliable and fast machine.

1.) ASUS UL20 A1. Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 250GB. $575

2.) ASUS P50IJ-X3. intel pentium duel core, 4GB DDR2, 320GB. $550

3.) DELL Studio 15. i5-460M, 4GB DDR3, 500GB. $710 (w/ company discount)

I have very little experience with laptops. Are ASUS and DELL similar in build quality? The DELL seems to have a much more current setup but is still relatively cheap...but would either of the two ASUS' (ASI ?) fit my needs? Let me know what you think and if there is something i have overlooked.

Thanks

Hi there,

All these three laptops will work for surfing the net, paying bills, and watching movies. The first Asus has a smaller screen, so watching movies on it may not be ideal. Also, the Dell does have considerably better specs overall (more RAM and a more powerful processor) so if you are willing to spend a little more, that may be the best choice. The Dell is also an overall great choice for watching movies.

Let me know if you have any other questions regarding these laptops!

Cheers,
Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team
November 3, 2010 6:43:49 PM

Isabella

Thanks for you response, I think the DELL has the right specs, I just wanted to make sure there wasnt some obvious flaw I was overlooking.

Thanks
a b D Laptop
November 3, 2010 7:51:44 PM

striper1 said:
Isabella

Thanks for you response, I think the DELL has the right specs, I just wanted to make sure there wasnt some obvious flaw I was overlooking.

Thanks

Hi there,

You're welcome! For the uses you described, the Dell doesn't seem to be missing anything. It is definitely not built for video-editing or heavy gaming though as it lacks dedicated graphics. The Asus laptops are great choices as well, but the specs are less advanced.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Cheers,
Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Tema
!