natty

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2005

Hi,
Not sure of the exact terminology, but my pinball machine artwork in
the backbox is just a piece of paper with art on it. Is this what
people say is so valuable, like hundreds of dollars? Is this a
translite? Or is the art supposed to be painted on the glass or
something. Just curious, it looks good as it is AFAIK.
Thanks.
-Nate

Hundreds of dollars is a bit of an overstatement for a lot of games :)

But essentially, yes. A translite is basically a thin sheet of plastic
with the artwork printed on it which sits behind a clear sheet of glass
on a lot of late model pins. Many early and pre 1990's pins had a more
traditional backglass with artwork printed right on the galss.

It should be made of plastic about 1/8 inch thick. You should see the
art work from the front and the back is white
Ray

Backglasses are worth hundreds of dollars - silkscreened on glass. I
don't know what price translites go for - seems to me they'd be fairly
cheap by comparison, but I've never looked into it.

- Q

Pinbot had both backglasses and translites. I know, I have a backglass
in mine since it is an early production number, but many others I've
seen have translites. I'm not sure if 1986 was it for backglasses so
far as WMS goes, but I get the feeling that that is the case. Anyone
else know for sure?

1/8" is a little on the thick side....
a translite should not be made out of the same material as a poster, it
should be tough to tear, like mylar.

"Twilight4u" <rtw334@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> It should be made of plastic about 1/8 inch thick. You should see the
> art work from the front and the back is white
> Ray

I just got done shopping a police force with a backglass, and that was
late 89.
Willy

deafdumb&blindboy wrote:
> Pinbot had both backglasses and translites. I know, I have a backglass
> in mine since it is an early production number, but many others I've
> seen have translites. I'm not sure if 1986 was it for backglasses so
> far as WMS goes, but I get the feeling that that is the case. Anyone
> else know for sure?

martin

Just to be really clear, you don't have a translite. You have a
desperation-style replacement. A real translite will make your machine
look nicer, if you can find one.

"Natty" <oldefortpub@hotmail.com> wrote in news:1128030193.968843.255660
@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> Not sure of the exact terminology, but my pinball machine artwork in
> the backbox is just a piece of paper with art on it. Is this what
> people say is so valuable, like hundreds of dollars? Is this a
> translite? Or is the art supposed to be painted on the glass or
> something. Just curious, it looks good as it is AFAIK.
> Thanks.

If it's on paper, there's only one name for it: FAKE*.

A translite is a clear piece of plastic that has had the artwork printed
onto it. It normally is held in place with pieces of plastic that run
around the perhiperal of a clear piece of glass.

A backglass (by way of comparison) is when you print the art directly
onto the _glass_. Colors tend to be more vibrant, and mirroring is also
possible.

Translites are semi-valueable; since they're printed on plastic they were
cheaper to manufacture and easier to store and ship. Hence, more of them
are around.

Backglasses are valuable. They're a bitch to store and a ROYAL bitch to
ship, which means that a lot of them were destroyed due to X and Y along
the years.

Some games had their artwork available in both forms. I _believe_
Eaarthshaker is one of them, but I'm not 100% positive on that. Most
games had either/or.

* There is only one case where this is not true... Sometimes companies
will make an 'engineering' sample and print it out on paper while they're
waiting for the plastic ones to come in. For example, I have the "paper
print" of T3's backglass. But these are literally ONE OFF copies, so
there's essentially zero chance yours is one of these.

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 22:26:50 GMT, TheKorn <TheKorn@TheKorn.Net> wrote:

>Some games had their artwork available in both forms. I _believe_
>Eaarthshaker is one of them, but I'm not 100% positive on that. Most
>games had either/or.

Earthshaker's glass has mirroring on it, so a translite would
certainly be a lesser version.

That said, I have never heard of an Earthshaker translite.

--
| ÁTTACK FROM MÁRS: Come here, tasty human!! |

"deafdumb&blindboy" <ilduchi1@earthlink.net> wrote in

> Pinbot had both backglasses and translites. I know, I have a backglass
> in mine since it is an early production number, but many others I've
> seen have translites. I'm not sure if 1986 was it for backglasses so
> far as WMS goes, but I get the feeling that that is the case. Anyone
> else know for sure?

WMS definitely made glasses after that... BK2K, for example.