Dell xps17 webcam "disappears" from the device manager

rcolltx

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
I have a dell xps17 laptop that I love except for one, ongoing, frustrating issue: the webcam disappears! I have had the system less than a year and they have sent a tech out to replace the camera 2x already and I discovered it is gone again.
I do not use it often, so it's possible it stops working pretty quickly after the replacement.
At this point, I feel like it's an issue other than the camera. Bad motherboard? Bad socket?
The camera is gone from the device manager. There is no imaging device listed. The dell software says there is no camera installed. windows live says it can't connect to the vdp source (and the integrated webcam is not listed as an option).
Is there any help for this other than demanding they replace the laptop?
I love Dell and their service has been above excellent, but it's not correcting the problem and my warranty will be up soon.
Is there a lemon law for computers?
Thank you.

mauifrog

Honorable
May 20, 2012

I don't know if this will help, but my webcam also disappeared. It was working fine, then gone. Could not find it in device manager. After digging around a bit, I found the thing under the USB devices as integrated web cam. After uninstalling the driver and allowing device manager to re-install the driver it was properly listed under imaging devices and working again.

Dell-Ashish_k

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
Hi

My Name is Ashish and I work for Social Media and Community at Dell. In this case please download the drivers for webcam for your computer. To download the drivers for webcam, please click on the following link:
http://bit.ly/fidLPi
Then create your account there. When you finish with the account creation process, it will give you the drivers list and will also have the webcam drivers.

Thanks
Ashish