.bkf file extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fettler

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010
Hello, I recently backed up my hard drive to an external hard drive prior to installing a new computer. My backup file now has extension .bkf, which my new computer will not read. I bought Filecure, but it just points me to some software at a ridiculous price. Any advice please?c

Gandalf

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
Files with the .bkf extension are files backed up using Windows Backup Utility (located in Programs→Accessories→System Tools); must be installed from the XP Home installation disc to be used with Windows XP Home Edition.

I assume you backed up from the XP operating system. Windows 7 will not support the .bkf extension.

Read this...
http://bkfrecoverytool.blogspot.com/
Go to heading "How to Restore BKF Files in Vista after Switching from an Older Version to Vista?"

According to http://www.bkfrepair.net/ you can download and try the program for free.

NOTE: I have never used this program, so I can not speak to its functionality.
It does seem to say it can do what your need. Good Luck.

Fettler

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010
Just a line to say thank you to you both. I downloaded from the horses mouth. Looks as if this is the programme to do it, however, I am unable to see items when I try to use it. Still working on it.
Kind Regards

mrcomp

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2013

This worked for me also, BUT it is deceptively confusing. If you try to open the .BKF file it will try to open a blank file and nothing will be there. After the Windows NT Backup-Restore Utility is open BROWSE to the actual file location and you will be able to see all the files in the backup and then restore them to an alternate or whatever location you choose. This was making me frustrated that it wasn't showing anything when I opened the .bkf so I thought I'd add my 2 cents worth to save someone else the frustration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS