intel PR

G

Anyone notice now much Intel is spending on television advertising right now? It has to be an enormous sum. It seems like every other commercial is for their PIII. I guess that is what you do when your product is inferior. I think in the long term their best move would have been to invest in R & D. But for short term profits, advertising works. People who have researched what is best will probably buy Thunderbird. Most people will not do the research and will buy what Intel tells them to buy.

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Imho, I find flaws in your rational. What have you got against a company advertising their products, don't you see hundreds car commercials every day? does that mean they have "inferior product"? Amd can advertise just as much as intel does, but the question is: Why isn't amd advertising?, didn't they get your money? didn't they sell millions of cpu's? what's up? will you feel better if they do advertise?

Amd has a nice cpu, but if nobody knows about 'em, then that's their loss.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Weigel, I think your logic is about as flawed as humanly possible.

First off, anyone who doesn't advertise their product is a dunce. After all, what good is a product if no one knows that it exists?

Second off, it's the X-Mas shopping season. So of course anyone with the money to advertise anything is going to advertise like mad. When else in the year do people spend as much money?

Third, Intel has a quad-pumped bus processor now. (P4) Does AMD even have anything that nifty? No. They're still using a double-pumped bus. So who is the one with the inferior product now? Who is the one with the better R&D?

Anyone who claims AMD ever had better R&D than Intel obviously never took the time to think about the fact that the Duron and the Athlon were released long after the Celeron and the P3. So of course their design should be better. If they had been any worse, then their engineers should have been shot for being too stupid to even match an already released product in performance.

- Anything can be fixed with duct tape, a swiss army knife, and WD-40. :)

G

Intel's product may or may not be inferior. The fact is, there is a lot of new hardware and software on the market. Things have changed too quickly for the standards to keep up with. I doubt there is any software on the market optimized for the P4's and the T-Bird's. This is, of course, in addition to the new chipsets, RAM types and video cards. Ideally, we would have software optimized for all of these and THEN you could see a fair representation which, I imagine, would look something like this: AMD's good for graphics creation (FPU-intensive mainly), P4's good for games. Office apps are pretty much out of the question by now as everything is fast enough to make the computer just wait for the user. There are other considerations too. Things like: SMP-capability, stability and server apps. I mean, really, you've gotta consider all kinds of things. Personally, I love the AMD T-bird and am looking forward to seeing what AMD will bring out next (Mustang-type stuff). But I work with 3DS Max a lot and thus benefit from AMD's procs. Otherwise, maybe a P4 WOULD be better for me. Who knows...

Charles

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Also, the fact is the majority of ppl that will buy systems are NOT on the internet so they will have no way of knowing if the salesman is full of sh*t. You know, you can call those ppl dumb all you want, but it will never, ever change a thing. Intel will always, always be ahead of the game, always!

G

I could easily see Intel and AMD trading places in the next year (in terms of their slant toward the consumer). That's the trouble with success. Of course, if AMD doesn't get some good chipsets backing them, they may never reach that point.

mpjesse

Splendid
All you have to do is look at the profit margin and stock value of AMD and that'll tell you why they aren't advertising on TV. Don't forget guys that AMD was BARELY turning a profit a year ago. It costs enourmous amounts of money to advertise nationally on TV and AMD simply doesn't have the money.

I think it's going to be some time still before we see "AMD Inside" commercials. Intel has been turning enourmous profits for at least a decade, AMD didn't get big until 2 years ago with the introduction of the Athlon. Give it some time =)

-MP Jesse

G

Seeing as they have a quad pumped but why don't they advertise it???

G

Seeing as they have a quad pumped why don't they advertise it???

G

I think AMD would do much better if they would advertise more, but you're right. They simply did not have the budget to do it yet. Intel has been advertising for a long time. Even when they were coming out with the original Pentiums, and they certainly weren't inferior. It has paid off, too. Ask a computer illiterate person to name a processor and what do you get? "Intel Pentium". If it's all they know, why would they buy anything else?

Nikko

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
So Intel has a Quad pumped bus but it's technically inferior than the bus AMD uses. Wait until you see benchmarks of dual 1.5GHz Palomino's running PC2100. I can't wait to hear the oohs and ahhs. That's when you'll see the superiority of AMD's point-to-point bus over Intel's crappy GTL+ shared bus. You'll be able to run a dual Duron machine, for about half the cost of a P4, that'll spank the daylights out of the P4.