Sign in with
Your question

What monitor for gaming?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
April 10, 2012 12:38:39 AM

So I need a new monitor, I've been borrowing my mom's for the past 6 months and need one of my own. I usually game, browse the web, skype, and watch movies. (priority in that order) I would like 1920x1080, need HDMI.

I have a few questions. First off, what would be the best size for gaming? Does it matter, or is it just a price thing? I was looking at a 27" monitor, but they are kind of pricey for, ~$300. I can spend that much but would rather not. I could go for around a 24" for under $200. Any suggestions?

I also had the thought of possible two monitors around the 18"-22" range, for no more than $300 total. Would one or two monitors be better for gaming.

I was looking at the ViewSonic, Samsung, HP, and Acer monitors.

More about : monitor gaming

a b 4 Gaming
a c 195 C Monitor
April 10, 2012 4:36:41 AM

Generally speaking, the larger the monitor, the less sharp texts and graphics will be as long as the resolution remains the same. To get similar levels of sharpness you will need to sit further away from the monitor. You can easily test this by watching something on your HDTV a lot closer than you normally would do. Overall I think a 27" 1920x1080 monitor is a bit too large for my taste.

Using two monitors to play games is really not practical especially if you are looking to play FPS type games. That's because the targeting reticle is in the center of the screen. Playing FPS type games mean half of the recticle will be on one screen, the other half will be on the other monitor and in between them will be the bezel of the two monitors. Which may be up to 1" thick or more when the monitors are side by side.

For some strategy type games like Galactic Civilization 2 and Civilization 5, having a dual monitor set up can be annoying. You basically use the mouse to scroll around the map by moving the mouse to the edge of the screen. For example, if you want to scroll up, move the mouse to the top edge of the monitor. Games like Gal Civ 2 and Civ do not give you the option to span the game across 2 monitors; however, there is an Eyefinity option for Civ 5 which does allow you to play the game across 3 monitors, otherwise Civ 5 can only be played on one monitor.

Let's just say your primary monitor is in front of you and your 2nd monitor is to the right. In Gal Civ 2 and Civ 5 scrolling left will not be a problem, just move the mouse to the left edge. Scrolling right is a different matter. Scrolling right will eventually move the mouse over onto the 2nd monitor and the game itself does not scroll right.

m
l
!