How to Change Serial Number on Lexmark "Return Program" toner cartridg

BlueZango

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012
How to Change Serial Number on Lexmark "Return Program" color laser toner cartridge?? Please help constructively. Please do not tell me to buy another printer or brand.

C544X1CG, C540H1CG, C540A1CG, C544X1MG, C540H1MG, C540A1MG, C544X1YG, C540H1YG, C540A1YG, C544X1KG, C540H1KG, C540A1KG

This is for a Lexmark X543/X544/X545, but also an issue on other Lexmark models (X7350, X85, X5250, Z816...)

Facts:
1) Most printer companies allow toner cartridge refilling, often the service includes a "chip reset" to a new serial number. OfficeMax, Staples, Office Depot and such provide this service.
2) There are two type of Lexmark cartridges: "return program" and non-return program cartridges. There is a current shortage of non-return program cartridges.
3) It states on the cartridge box that the printer may indicate cartridge is OUT, when there is still toner in it. Thus they admit they are not checking the actual level and it is calculated. So the toner level is irrelevant, it is only the number of pages calculated!@
4) Office supply stores cannot refill them.

I refilled mine, but will not work. I bought 2 new ones, put them in, then re-inserted the original refilled, and no dice. It remembers at least 3 serial numbers.

The questions now are...
How can the serial number on the cartridge be changed??
(some brand have small electronic devices out there)
-OR-
How can a person clear the stored serial numbers on the printer?
-OR-
How many serial numbers are stored in the printer (I have read 8, I have read 10, and I have even read they store them at Lexmark via internet with your printer serial number - which I do not believe. The answer is > 3)

Thank you,
Walt (BlueZango)

But your question violates the forum rules! ;)

If we tell you anything other than "buy another printer" we can have our accounts shut down. So, go use Google or your favorite search site to find the answer (if there is one) yourself. . .