Sign in with
Your question

Very strange issue.

Last response: in Windows 7
December 31, 2012 8:19:27 AM

During the past two weeks I have experienced very strange and sudden computer lag and freezing. No blue screens, no error messages, just lag and freezing. I can be just watching a youtube video or browsing the internet or running a virus scan and BOOM, lag and freezing.

I did the usual. Booted up in safe mode (which seemed rather slow too), ran virus checks with malwarebytes and MSE. I scanned for rootkits with Kaspersky's TDSSKiller. I tried system restoring. I even reinstalled Windows 7. Reinstalling Windows seemed to do the trick for about 2 days. After I started fresh I tried passmark's Burn in test to stress my system to see if it was hardware related but everything passed. Then tonight, I have the same issue. Complete system lag and freezing after less than 48 hours of a fresh install.

This really has me stumped. I'm usually pretty good at figuring things like this out but this one has me stumped.

I recently made a RAM and PSU upgrade. I thought maybe I had a issue with bad memory. So I tested it with memtest and Windows memory utility and it passed. I had some extra memory laying around and swapped it anyway with no new results. In fact, it seemed to be worse. lol

Current setup is:

Asus P8H67-m pro
WD 1TB
Corsair vengeance 2x4GB 1600
No Video card at the moment, running on integrated graphics. (Waiting on RMA return.)
i5-2500k
Win7 64-bit

This thing has me so upset I'm tempted to just sell it and build a new one. :/  Any advice or suggestions would be immensely appreciated! If you need any other info to help me troubleshoot this problem please just ask and I'll see what I can do!

Thanks again.
-Joe

More about : strange issue

December 31, 2012 8:29:48 AM

how old is your hdd?

even i faced a similar problem just a few months before my previous hdd died.
m
l
December 31, 2012 8:39:17 AM

You might be re-installing something that has a trojan horse embedded within it.

It may also be the Indexing Service, try disabling it via SERVICES.MSC if you haven't already.
m
l
Related resources
December 31, 2012 8:42:34 AM

siddharthmukul007 said:
how old is your hdd?

even i faced a similar problem just a few months before my previous hdd died.

My HDD is about 1 1/2 years old. I thought this may be an issue but if it is, this HDD is sneaky! No noises or anything out of the ordinary besides my problem. If I start buying parts, this will be the first one I try. Thanks for the reply.
m
l
December 31, 2012 8:44:09 AM

Scott_D_Bowen said:
You might be re-installing something that has a trojan horse embedded within it.

It may also be the Indexing Service, try disabling it via SERVICES.MSC if you haven't already.

The disk I am installing from is an OEM disk that has worked just fine in the past.

I will try disabling services.msc and see if that helps. Thanks for your reply!
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 31, 2012 9:06:48 AM

Update windows .Automatically detect and install latest best driver and fix all issues.
Update bios.
Update hdd/ssd firmware.
Update Gpu firmware .
Full Scan system with "SUPERANTISPYWARE" Freeware.
m
l
December 31, 2012 5:14:32 PM

don't worry about hdd failure....a 1 1/2 yrs old hdd wont die.
m
l
December 31, 2012 5:20:44 PM

^ how can you say that - I've seen 3 month old HHDs that fail.
-Bruce
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 31, 2012 5:22:16 PM

siddharthmukul007 said:
don't worry about hdd failure....a 1 1/2 yrs old hdd wont die.

Hi :) 

Totally wrong,,,we have seen ONE day old hard drives crashed in my shops...

................................................................................................................

Run a hard drive test in DOS...HIRENS CD etc, it sounds like a failing hard drive...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 31, 2012 5:23:17 PM

what was the video card?

why the video card RMA?

did you reformat without the card in it? therefore no drivers for the card are installed?

what voltage is the memory?

what's the dust build up look like ( fans/heat sinks, etc. )?

did you try a BIOS update?

are the motherboard drivers up to date?

what was the , what is the new PS?

have you pulled the heat sink and fan from the processor, removed and replaced the thermal paste and reinstalled heat sink?

m
l
December 31, 2012 9:59:53 PM

Thanks for all your replies! I will go through all of your suggestions some time tomorrow and let you know the results. Thanks again!
m
l
December 31, 2012 10:04:05 PM

swifty_morgan said:
what was the video card?

why the video card RMA?

did you reformat without the card in it? therefore no drivers for the card are installed?

what voltage is the memory?

what's the dust build up look like ( fans/heat sinks, etc. )?

did you try a BIOS update?

are the motherboard drivers up to date?

what was the , what is the new PS?

have you pulled the heat sink and fan from the processor, removed and replaced the thermal paste and reinstalled heat sink?

HIS 6850.

The video card was new and producing screen artifacts.

Yes, reformatted with no card.

Eh, I'm not sure. Is this a big issue with RAM? I thought it was standardized.. lol

Dust build is is minimal. I am religious with cleaning my case out monthly.

No, I didn't update the BIOS. Its now on my list of things to do.

Yes, they are up to date.

PSU was a generic 700watt. Upgarde to an XFX 850w.

No, I haven't removed that heat sink. Do you really think that could be my problem?

Thanks for the reply!
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 31, 2012 10:18:48 PM

may be a paste thing. maybe the heat sink isn't sitting square on the processor ( maybe the pins aren't "clicked" into the mobo holes correctly )

the ram............... 1.35/1.5volt for your 2500. not 1.6v
m
l
!