Pre-RFE: Apply + Skill Quickmark Functionality

kevino

Distinguished
May 30, 2003

[Outline]
This is an idea to simplify the [a]pply command and the [A] Quickmark
system and make quickmark in particular a lot less annoying to use.

[Need]
I want this change implemented because as the system stands, if a
player quickmarks a skill they also 'slowmark' every other skill by
adding an additional button-press (a + * + [skillkey] instead of a +
[skillkey].

[Change]
Once a skill is quickmarked, pressing [a]pply will take the player to
the skill screen intead of bringing up the "Which skill" prompt. From
there, the player may press any of their quickmark number keys or any
of their skill letter keys.

[Optional addition]
The [a]pply command and the [A] (Quickmark) commands could also be
combined into just [a]pply. Pressing [a]pply will then take the player
to the skill select screen, where the player may use any skill or
quickmarked skill as normal, or set new quickmarks by pressing any
unused quickmark number. This is perhaps a very tiny bit more
confusing, but is a lot more intuitive for new players who havn't
looked up [A] quickmark in the manual.

If it is felt this is too confusing, one option would be to add a
"Press 0 to set skill quickmarks." key to the skill select screen, then
players could set their quickmarks from there.

- Kevin

kevino

Distinguished
May 30, 2003

Originally posted by me, not very long ago:
>[Outline]
>
>This is an idea to simplify the [a]pply command and the [A] Quickmark
>system and make quickmark in particular a lot less annoying to use.

(Sorry for the mess if this is displaying badly, Google Groups seems to
have chewed up my post. :/ Will try and sort a proper newsreader soon.)

On 19 Dec 2004 17:10:54 -0800, KevinO <dthspell@hotmail.com> wrote:

> [Outline]
> This is an idea to simplify the [a]pply command and the [A] Quickmark
> system and make quickmark in particular a lot less annoying to use.
>
> [Need]
> I want this change implemented because as the system stands, if a
> player quickmarks a skill they also 'slowmark' every other skill by
> adding an additional button-press (a + * + [skillkey] instead of a +
> [skillkey].
>
> [Change]
> Once a skill is quickmarked, pressing [a]pply will take the player to
> the skill screen intead of bringing up the "Which skill" prompt. From
> there, the player may press any of their quickmark number keys or any
> of their skill letter keys.
>
> [Optional addition]
> The [a]pply command and the [A] (Quickmark) commands could also be
> combined into just [a]pply. Pressing [a]pply will then take the player
> to the skill select screen, where the player may use any skill or
> quickmarked skill as normal, or set new quickmarks by pressing any
> unused quickmark number. This is perhaps a very tiny bit more
> confusing, but is a lot more intuitive for new players who havn't
> looked up [A] quickmark in the manual.
>
> If it is felt this is too confusing, one option would be to add a
> "Press 0 to set skill quickmarks." key to the skill select screen, then
> players could set their quickmarks from there.
>
> - Kevin

I think what we really need is a kind of quick access
keys, for example
Everytime you press F1 the First Aid Skill is activated
Everytime you press F2 you cast a Fireball
and so on ...
I just lost an elementalist because of this missing
feature: usually I pressed Z and B to cast a Fire
Bolt, but because I leveled up, there was the earthquake
spell at this place in the list and I casted that one
without noticing untill it was too late. So I got hit by a
good number of rocks. Then while being angry about my
stupidity I fell into a pit and the vipers finished me
off. *Merry* Christmas!

TRENDING THREADS